PDA

View Full Version : 1999 PT paint code, Bilstein, Hard S tag, Production #'s?

Batmans
07-23-2015, 12:14 PM
Hello,

I just purchased a 1999 Miata 5spd. I've never seen a white one before and I really like the color. The paint code is PT. I also noticed there is no power windows. Has black cloth interior. No bose system. This car does have bilstein, strut bar, rear spoiler, 14" rims. I'm the 3rd owner. Driver's tag in door jam says; "03/98. On the passenger side tag it says; Suspension - Hard S and Model is NC12-NAA.

Car was a fleet vehicle until 12,000 miles. Second owner was a young girl and then she bought a newer Miata.

Is this car rare? I know they made R package on the 1st gens. Did they make this package on the second gens? Do you know how many were made and what this may be worth? I'm wanting to fix it up if it's worth anything.

Thank you,
Tiffany

Phatmiata
07-23-2015, 12:23 PM
Maybe a Club Sport?? I think they came with the Bilstein shocks ?? Any NB be Gurus have more info?

Batmans
07-23-2015, 12:26 PM
This site says they only made 2676 of PT code's in 1999. But how many of those were a Hard S? http://www.miata.net/faq/production.html

kung fu jesus
07-23-2015, 12:34 PM
I don't think the Club Sport was available until later.

The Sport Suspension option came in three flavors that year. Your Hard S is less common with stiffer springs and thicker rollbars plus a strut tower bar. The rest as you describe is a base or 'sport' model. It would be interesting to know if you have the limited slip diff, but at 16 years old, these cars are retrofitted so often, it can be difficult to trust the VIN codes.

To be honest, I don't think it's rare, just a suspension kit bolted on at the factory. I'm not trying to burst any bubbles, but this was more a custom order for the original buyer, most likely, not typical dealer stock.

Batmans
07-23-2015, 12:42 PM
Thank you. I think it's a neat car. It does have limited slip. I never owned one before.

kung fu jesus
07-23-2015, 12:47 PM
Enjoy it. It is pretty rare to have a custom-ordered car, though. When the NB launched in '99, people went apeshit.

Dandy
07-23-2015, 12:57 PM
I think what you have is a base model with the Hard-S option. I don't really think there is a true NB equivalent of the R-package NA; not that you couldn't have ordered it that way through options. NB's in general have not reached the collectability level of the NA's as of yet and really there are very few NA's that can be considered collectable (more like desirable). I would fix it up if you like it but not for any perceived rarity.

oops . . . KFJ beat me to it but it sounds like we are in agreement.

kung fu jesus
07-23-2015, 02:17 PM
Get out of my head!