PDA

View Full Version : Installing a new top

matt1162
08-09-2015, 08:11 AM
Hi Miata lovers! This is my first post. I have a 2002 (2nd gen) MX-5. I really need a new top and I need to keep the costs down. I want a glass window with defroster. I'm looking at a Robbins Streamline top. My question is how difficult would it be for a single person to remove the old top and install the new one? I checked with a local auto body shop and their estimate was about $300 US. I'm willing to apply some elbow grease and do it myself if it's not too difficult. At the same time, obviously I want proper installation.

revlimiter
08-09-2015, 08:21 AM
I did a cloth+glass top by myself. The tricky part is really getting it latched at the end. A buddy came and helped me do it. Warm sun + gentle forcing will get the top latched.

http://revlimiter.net/blog/2011/07/robbins-cloth-top-install/

I have a fairly complete install on my blog if you wanna dig into the various small details. Nothing about the install is difficult to do by yourself. The instructions are difficult to understand, but if you add my blog post and a few other how-to's on the internet, you can get it figured out. You need a rivet tool and a small pile of rivets. Also some contact cement. That's about it as far as exotic tools go. The rest is just ratchets and sockets.

OBD1 kenobi
08-09-2015, 09:55 AM
Welcome to the forum and what revlimiter said. His blogs are great and easy to follow.

Martin
08-10-2015, 10:19 AM
I've done 2 top installs. If I can do it, almost anyone can do it :lol:

wannafbody
08-10-2015, 02:47 PM
I wrote a review on the EZ On 630 top. You really need a second set of hands to do a top. Buget about 10 hours for a first time install. Watch youtube videos first. Buy a PCV railrail, silicone the small holes as you don't need to rivet it to the top. Attaching the front bow first is easier.