PDA

View Full Version : Bi polar transmission Need help

Slipstreem
09-09-2015, 05:12 AM
My 5 speed is acting very weird. Two weeks ago it became very hard to shift. Because of the sloppy shifter I thought that was the problem. I rebuilt the shifter today and the problem was still there.

The problem being that it wouldn't shift when the car was running but, I could get into all gears when the car was not running. I did notice that there was play and a very squishy feeling in my clutch pedal after I finished the shifter rebuild. Now to be honest I do not know for certain if the clutch pedal had play two weeks ago before I parked it. Was more concerned just getting into gear to get home that night.

Now this is where things get strange. Car is off. Put it in reverse. Clutch foot is on the floor and start the car. Let off the brake and the car begins to move. My foot did not move at all from the clutch. Slightly let the clutch out and the car moves slightly faster.

A couple of google searches points me to the slave cylinder. Now my slave cylinder as it sits right now shows no signs of leaks and the fluid is full. "Maybe air in the system? I'll pump the clutch just because." Pumped the clutch about 5-7 times and it became very stiff. Like new clutch stiff. Clutch foot on the floor and start the car. It now goes into gear. "Whew dodge a bullet." NOPE! Now with the car in gear it will not move at all. I have no clue what this problem can be. Please help so I can stop taking the bus. Thanks in advance!

HarryB
09-09-2015, 06:24 AM
Sounds like a shot slave cylinders. Could be an internal "leak", from the pressurized side of the piston to the non-pressurised via the o-ring seal.

Slipstreem
09-09-2015, 09:42 AM
I see... Interesting. Looks like it's time for a new slave then. Thanks Harry!

Anything y'all recomend I test/check and or replace with the slave?

Martin
09-09-2015, 10:11 AM
I plan on buying this package next time my slave cylinder dies:

http://treasurecoastmiata.com/i-16080222-miata-clutch-hydraulic-system-replacement-kit.html

HarryB
09-09-2015, 11:19 AM
That's a nice price for your peace of mind for sure!

Demon I Am
09-09-2015, 01:40 PM
If you are replacing the slave, the master will usually die within a month or so. Might as well replace both and save the headache/brake fluid.

kung fu jesus
09-09-2015, 07:47 PM
Those are classic symptoms your slave cylinder is dead. Demon is right, just replace the slave and clutch master together. It's an extra $50-ish, but you know that system is good to go.

Slipstreem
09-09-2015, 10:35 PM
Thanks a lot guys for the speedy replies. Double thanks Martin for that link!

Slipstreem
09-20-2015, 11:36 AM
So I wanted to update this post for anybody that finds this and or experiences the problems I had.

The new slave worked like a charm. I also replaced the master since it was part of the kit. Also I would like to add if for whatever reason Treasure Coast is sold out of this kit check out 5xracing.com . They have the same kit for about the same price. Thank you all for the insight and helping me get Hakumei back on the road.

I do have one more question since it followed after the cylinder install. My clutch now engages at a really high pedal point now. As in one more inch and my foot is off the clutch. I was thinking it just needs some adjustment and if it does where should I look first?

HarryB
09-20-2015, 02:05 PM
Look behind the pedal. There is an adjuster there, you need one 12 and one 13mm spanners to get the jam nuts loose.

mazdarati1
09-22-2015, 07:58 PM
Thanks to Slipstreem, my car had the same symptoms as yours. My local shop couldn't see a problem, because it only acted up when it was warmed up. But once I read your post I knew my diagnosis was correct and they replaced my slave and master cly., and no more issues.
Thanks again.

Mazdarati1

Slipstreem
09-22-2015, 11:37 PM
Thanks to Slipstreem, my car had the same symptoms as yours. My local shop couldn't see a problem, because it only acted up when it was warmed up. But once I read your post I knew my diagnosis was correct and they replaced my slave and master cly., and no more issues.
Thanks again.

Mazdarati1

Happy to hear that. Though I haven't been here long I can say this forum has a great community.