PDA

View Full Version : Harness install help

jesseshoots
01-24-2012, 11:14 PM
I have a 5 pt harness and I'm about to pick up a roll bar with a welded in harness bar, and I have the '99 Miata seats in my car. How should I go about installing the harness correctly/safely

The Platypus
01-24-2012, 11:34 PM
I've heard somewhere that it's not entirely 'safe' to rely on your harness when you don't have the slots in the seat. I heard if the harness is just around the shoulders it's not as safe. Correct me if I'm wrong though. That's just what I heard a while ago.

adamvanxxx
01-24-2012, 11:57 PM
Hold back until you get a proper bucket.

stormin'norman
01-25-2012, 12:05 AM
^ As stated above. Don't install until you get an appropriate seat. Once you do.. see schroth racing's pdf instructions for proper harness wrapping ( http://www.schrothracing.com/docs/Schroth_Installation_Checklist.pdf ) and you will want these to safely secure your sub belt below:

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/schroth-competition-belts/competition-hardware/reinforcement-plates

Of course use graded hardware for the remaining sub belt install pieces you will need. Drill through the floor boards ~4-5 inches behind the spot directly below your seat's sub belt opening. Butt the backing plate directly against the frame rail or on either side if you are doing a 6 pt.

jester911
01-25-2012, 06:43 AM
Yes you need a proper seat. In the stock seats the straps have no way of staying put over your shoulders. I have set up several track/race setups that were done correctly and passed SCCA standards. If you get a seat and need some help getting setup just let me know as I am local as you know.

jesseshoots
01-25-2012, 12:02 PM
Thanks guys, that's why I asked because I didn't think it would be safe without a bucket seat.

And jester, I'll have to take you up on that offer once I manage to pick up a seat

jester911
01-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Not a problem. Just let me know when you would like to do it.

Thanks guys, that's why I asked because I didn't think it would be safe without a bucket seat.

And jester, I'll have to take you up on that offer once I manage to pick up a seat

Blackbird
01-27-2012, 09:46 AM
Schroth's profi ASM is the ONLY harness that can be used with a normal seat because it's designed to work as a 4 point to start with.
That said, given a choice I'd probably stay with the factory set up until you can upgrade everything in one shot.

Moti