PDA

View Full Version : Well ain't that a bitch. Slave Cylinder died. LOL

Phatmiata
01-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Beautiful day here in Florida! Decided to take the Miata into work today. On my way to get lunch and start noticing a lot more play in the clutch pedal. (ah crap). Yep go to park made it to lunch and open the hood. All the fluids are topped off. Ge to start the car again and now just a limp pedal and won't go into gear. Well time to go eat some lunch now and worry about this crap later. Lol. Cant fault the car forbeing almost 20 years old. Hahaha.

xjdesertfox
01-25-2012, 01:57 PM
You still on the factory slave?

Phatmiata
01-25-2012, 02:00 PM
You still on the factory slave?

Yes, car only has 47k miles, but like I said she is an older girl now.

Tekel
01-25-2012, 02:13 PM
With great skill and agility you can drive the car without a clutch. Are you up to the challenge?

Agent☣Orange
01-25-2012, 02:27 PM
What a junker. I can't believe how unreliable it is. Better get a new Miata. :blaugh2:

Phatmiata
01-25-2012, 03:27 PM
With great skill and agility you can drive the car without a clutch. Are you up to the challenge?

Just ninja shifted (finding the sweet spots in the shift points) and slowly drove it back to the office, I have to get it back to my house now after work, 25 miles away in 5PM traffic, might have to leave early to beat the rush hour traffic.

smaeda
01-25-2012, 03:52 PM
Oh man this sounds too familiar. Its a good thing its so easy to replace.

I<3flippyheadlights
01-25-2012, 03:53 PM
Good luck man

Phatmiata
01-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Had my buddy come pick it up, he is a master tech from Honda. So he gave me his Honda hatchback while he takes mine to Area 102 to open the master to see if i need a new master and or slave. Meanwhile I had a chance to pick up some more stickers so at least the day was not all bad news lol.

The Driver
01-25-2012, 05:25 PM
Just ninja shifted (finding the sweet spots in the shift points) and slowly drove it back to the office, I have to get it back to my house now after work, 25 miles away in 5PM traffic, might have to leave early to beat the rush hour traffic.

U R just looking for an excuse to get off of work early. Telling yer Mom...

Phatmiata
01-25-2012, 06:18 PM
Okay so the looks like its for sure the slave and possibly the Master, Im just going to go ahead and replace them both at the same time just to be safe.

Does anyone have handy the parts numbers I need for the Master Cylinder and Slave Cylinder for a 1995 Miata? Anything else I should replace, or look at? Ill get the parts on order and park the car back in the garage until I get the parts in.

Bummer, but at least it happened in the afternoon and not at 10PM at night on the highway back to my house from the Miata meet, that would have sucked even worse, LOL

xjdesertfox
01-25-2012, 06:57 PM
Okay so the looks like its for sure the slave and possibly the Master, Im just going to go ahead and replace them both at the same time just to be safe.

Does anyone have handy the parts numbers I need for the Master Cylinder and Slave Cylinder for a 1995 Miata? Anything else I should replace, or look at? Ill get the parts on order and park the car back in the garage until I get the parts in.

Bummer, but at least it happened in the afternoon and not at 10PM at night on the highway back to my house from the Miata meet, that would have sucked even worse, LOL

Cheapest place to get them is 5xracing

http://5xracing.com/i-8181789-clutch-hydraulic-system-refresh-pack-for-mazda-miata.html

Agent☣Orange
01-25-2012, 07:00 PM
I like 5X's clutch line. Not necessary but nice to have.

WASABI
01-25-2012, 07:24 PM
Good luck with that Randy. Easy fix, and peace of mind, replacing both. Make sure you get some good brake fluid, and your all set.

-Jim

The Driver
01-25-2012, 08:06 PM
Yeah, do the clutch line at the same time. I had Tim replaced mine when he did both the slave and master. I got it from that Jeff dude that sold his shop to Tim. It was WELL worth the $35!

His was the long one, a rip off the 949 one, but it has more than hold up!

jdm slick
01-25-2012, 08:10 PM
Oh no babygurl :(

adamvanxxx
01-25-2012, 09:42 PM
How does one test the master?

kung fu jesus
01-25-2012, 10:44 PM
Randy, I really like the longer braided clutch line 949 racing sells. It eliminates the hardline pigtail and makes a future slave replacement a breeze.

FWIW, I replace the clutch master once for every two slaves. Probably not necessary, but I have a heavy clutch and it's relatively inexpensive to replace. I bought it at a parts-chain so I can take advantage of the warranty.

Phatmiata
01-25-2012, 11:50 PM
How does one test the master?

Had to open the sucker up and see if its wet on the backside. But these parts are already 17 years old, might as well save myself the hassle of doing it again later.

revlimiter
01-25-2012, 11:55 PM
Randy, I really like the longer braided clutch line 949 racing sells. It eliminates the hardline pigtail and makes a future slave replacement a breeze.

FWIW, I replace the clutch master once for every two slaves. Probably not necessary, but I have a heavy clutch and it's relatively inexpensive to replace. I bought it at a parts-chain so I can take advantage of the warranty.

+1 on both paragraphs.

imperfekt
01-25-2012, 11:55 PM
=\ had to replace slave a few weeks after i got my 95... was a fun experience :)

Leeroy
01-26-2012, 03:18 AM
=\ had to replace slave a few weeks after i got my 95... was a fun experience :)

Same here, on my 95 as well :P

Master cylinder takes all of 15 mins
,if that, so go ahead and knock em both out. Pretty easy :)

LostSoulMiata
01-26-2012, 12:29 PM
+1 on both paragraphs.

+2, cause I strongly agree

Chops
02-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Had to open the sucker up and see if its wet on the backside.

That's what she said... :slayer:

bedheadben
02-03-2012, 07:55 PM
What I'm wondering is, how did you get it rolling from a stop, just jam it into first? haha
I would probably start pushing then jump in and hope it slides into first. Once you're in gear it shouldn't be too bad as long as you don't have to stop.

Got the new parts yet?

mrpham
02-05-2012, 09:51 AM
Just happened to me this week! Damn annoying job, clutch fluid everywhere, a huge mess.

Have a look at what my slave cylinder looked like when I removed the boot:
http://omgpham.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/IMGP4680.jpg
http://omgpham.com/clutch-slave-replacement

Phatmiata
02-06-2012, 11:33 AM
What I'm wondering is, how did you get it rolling from a stop, just jam it into first?

Nope, I just used the Fred Flintstones method. push the car with feet and put in gear, LOL

Chops
02-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Nope, I just used the Fred Flintstones method. push the car with feet and put in gear, LOL

That would royally suck if you had to stop on a hill!