PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Softtops

BoBo
09-24-2015, 05:31 PM
The TOP:
This is a very nice product for the Money. The fitment was spot on and I'm very happy with the soft top. The rain rail that comes with it is super flexible. No need to worry about it cracking, you can bend it all you want.

INSTALL:
If it's your first time then you need at least 5hrs. I started at night and worked on it for a bit. I was able to remove the soft top frame from the Roadster and the tattered old top before going to bed. Then the next day, I started at lunch time and finished everything by 5 in the evening. If I did everything again, it would probably take me half the time since I don't have to go out and buy the tools. This is not a complicated project, you just have to be patient.

Once you get the top installed, you will not be able to latch it on the car, and that's totally normal. There will be a 4" gap between the top latch and the frame. Use zip ties to bring the latch and the pillar latch together. Luckily, it was about 109*F here at my place which helped stretch the top.

Tool needed:
Adhesive Spray
Drill
1/4" or smaller drill bit to drill out old rivets.
4mm rivet and rivet gun
Basic socket set
Pocket knife
Tenacity
Patience

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu129/MR2SW21/96%20miata/DSC02776_zpshq5r5w1k.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/MR2SW21/media/96%20miata/DSC02776_zpshq5r5w1k.jpg.html)

atank
09-25-2015, 07:15 AM
Very Nice Job, everything looks like it fits well!

wannafbody
09-25-2015, 06:30 PM
And at least one friend willing to help.

Agent☣Orange
09-25-2015, 07:04 PM
Does the rain rail look like something that might deteriorate shortly or does it seem pretty durable? I know I'm asking for just opinion but I'm curious.

BoBo
09-25-2015, 10:37 PM
And at least one friend willing to help.

+1 I would have been done a lot sooner if I had a friend willing to help.

BoBo
09-25-2015, 10:48 PM
Does the rain rail look like something that might deteriorate shortly or does it seem pretty durable? I know I'm asking for just opinion but I'm curious.

Good question,

It can go either way, but I would just replace it since you would be removing the whole thing. The labor factor, plus a chance of cracking it upon removal, it would make sense to buy one that comes with a rain rail, unless your looking to save extra cash. My rain rail was brittle and had very minimal cracks, but that's all it takes to cause a leak.

joe morreale
04-02-2016, 02:04 PM
I know this is an old thread but I work at a shop that does tops. We recently had a customer bring in a Sierra top to install on their mustang. There wasn't any instructions so my boss called the 800 number. It was answered GAHH tops, the parent company of GAHH, a high end top maker and Robbins, who everybody is familiar with.

It seems that they decided to offer a consumer based top to the public at a reduced price. The mustang top was over a hundred bucks cheaper than Robbins. Same warranty and material. Also cut on the same plotters. It fit great and installed like it was supposed to. A PITA, all mustangs are.

I feel this makes Sierra a great low buck choice for a quality top. Just make sure you know what you're doing or get the instructions.

BoBo
04-02-2016, 08:35 PM
^ My top didn't come with any instructions as well, but I wish it did. At the time I didn't have enough funds to buy a Robbins cloth top, I was glad to have discovered this entry level brand through Amazon.