PDA

View Full Version : M-Tuned coolant reroute radiator "hose spring" question.

mx54life
09-28-2015, 11:26 PM
Did you guys use the supplied radiator hose springs? Is it stainless steel? Is it absolutely necessary?

freedomgli
09-29-2015, 02:31 PM
We used it in our current build. My dad said it was a pain in the butt to get it installed in such a manner to prevent hose kinks. I don't think it's stainless steel. I wouldn't' worry about what metal it's made of. Just change your coolant every few years and you should be good. I may end using a combination of hard pipe and silicone hose if we aren't happy with packaging once we get the fuel lines, ac lines and everything else sorted.

mx54life
09-29-2015, 03:41 PM
I can't remember where I read about it but the inner spring is used to allegedly prevent the hose from collapsing (how?). Since there are really no tight angle in this application the preventive measure is not worth considering the high possibility of corrosion as the supplied spring is not stainless steel. Any thought on this guys?

freedomgli
09-30-2015, 09:35 AM
Everybody's setup is a little bit different. If you have a turbo or a non-factory radiator you might have sharp bends in your coolant hose plumbing. In 949Racing's product description they state, "Optional internal steel coil reinforcement for cut-to-fit main hose can be removed." Use it if you like. Or don't. If your hose doesn't kink than you probably don't need it although I don't think it causes any harm.

freedomgli
09-30-2015, 09:36 AM
Also check out this thread
http://www.miataturbo.net/engine-performance-56/m-tuned-coolant-reroute-service-parts-75584/