PDA

View Full Version : Hardtop Acoustics

Don M
10-20-2015, 10:00 PM
We test drove a 2013 Grand Touring with power hardtop today. We really fell in love with the car......until we put the top up. The noise level inside was surprisingly high and really unpleasant. I suspect the problem is due largely to the hard plastic head liner which reflects sound and does nothing to dampen it. We also drove a 2006 with a cloth top and both agreed that it seemed quieter and that the road and wind noise that was present wasn't as irritating.

I don't know if this has been discussed or if it's even possible but I was wondering if anyone had tried applying any type of sound proofing to the inside of these hardtops?

Hyper
10-20-2015, 10:12 PM
The whole purpose of the PHRT is to prevent theft while the car being a convertible. Road noise can be improved but at the end of the day the car is a convertible.

I put a sound mat on my car on the rear parcel and the noise level improved dramatically. It is definetely a quieter car and I still can add some more to the doors and hardtop.

Don M
10-20-2015, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the reply. About the only time the top goes up on our 92 is when it starts raining or when we have to spend time on interstates. We started looking at the PHRT as a way to make long trips more enjoyable and less punishing. It's weird but since I've started loosing my hearing I've found that I'm less able to tolerate certain types of noise and the acoustics inside this NB with the top up at freeway speeds were really unpleasant for me. I'm really interested in the sound mat you mentioned would you mind telling me where I could find more information on it?

91BRG
10-21-2015, 03:34 AM
the most common sound deadening people use are fatmat and rattletrap, there are other brands of course but stay away from dynamat as its usually overpriced. I haven't done the sound deadening myself to my NA (I plan to), but I read the panels that make the most difference with the sound deadening are the doors and rear parcel shelf.

Hyper
10-21-2015, 10:08 AM
Please check page 8 of my build thread. Hyperspeed Works///

http://mazdaroadster.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12296&d=1406650501

tsingson
10-21-2015, 10:16 AM
Hyper, did you add any to the hardtop? I am thinking of doing a headliner to help with the slight echoing.

Hyper
10-21-2015, 11:30 AM
I will when I purchase Nakamae headliner from Rev9