PDA

View Full Version : Best Leather Seat Cleaner, Conditioner?

Phatmiata
11-12-2015, 07:55 AM
Pulled my OEM leather seats out of the Miata and wanted to clean and condition them before putting them in storage now that I'm using the Nakamae seats.

What leather seat cleaner and conditioner are you guys using??

tsingson
11-12-2015, 09:07 AM
Lexol is pretty good. Steven let me use some when I had the tan leathers and it worked great.

Demon I Am
11-12-2015, 09:38 AM
Interested in this fo-sho.

Also SEM makes a leather paint that's an exact match for the NB2 bisque leather (surely other colors as well). It fills in the cracks and makes worn out leather look great. I need to grab a can for my driver seat.

theothersawyer
11-12-2015, 10:21 AM
Leatherique works really well!

Smokinfastlegend
11-26-2015, 06:13 PM
If you want an over the counter cleaner, mothers leather foaming cleaner work well as a cleaner matched with a damp horse hair shoe brush. If you want to order online, i recommend leather masters leather cleaner (and strong cleaner) along with their Leather Vital and Leather Protection cream.

Leatherique works well, but it is a much involved process that requires using heat. Having used it several times, it is a last resort product as it takes a long time to get proper results

theothersawyer
11-26-2015, 06:27 PM
If you want an over the counter cleaner, mothers leather foaming cleaner work well as a cleaner matched with a damp horse hair shoe brush. If you want to order online, i recommend leather masters leather cleaner (and strong cleaner) along with their Leather Vital and Leather Protection cream.

Leatherique works well, but it is a much involved process that requires using heat. Having used it several times, it is a last resort product as it takes a long time to get proper results
That's why we used! Some reason I thought it was leatherique! BMW guys swear by leatherique, maybe that's why I thought that!

revlimiter
11-26-2015, 06:41 PM
Leather Honey. It blows everything else away.

mini_fd
11-26-2015, 08:24 PM
Alright rev, placed an order for cleaner and conditioner from your suggestion

Smokinfastlegend
11-29-2015, 09:24 PM
Leather Honey. It blows everything else away.

First I've heard of it surprisingly. Have you done any write ups yet of it?

revlimiter
11-29-2015, 10:36 PM
Heh. Ask me when I'm not working 18 hour days.

freedomgli
11-30-2015, 08:20 AM
I don't think there's much point in going fancy with the leather products on Miata seats. Mazda used the cheapest top grain pigmented leather possible and it doesn't take to the same maintenance (e.g. cleaning and moisturizing) and repair regimens as more traditional, higher quality automotive leathers used in Jaguars, Ferraris and the like. Your basic goal with any Miata seat should be to periodically clean it to keep it looking nicer longer and to use a cleaner that also contains UV protectants to minimize the damage of the sun for as long as possible. Mothers Leather Cleaner in a spray bottle will accomplish this just fine and it's available from any auto parts store.

It is possible to strip, sand and redye Miata seats that are badly worn. But in my experience the finished product isn't as durable as again you're just treating the surface. Stuff like Leatherique really works best on traditional vat dyed leathers where the color goes all the way through the hide and where the natural leather is allowed to breathe instead of being clogged up with spray paints and polymer sealants like most Japanese car leather.

Ctsquid
11-30-2015, 10:54 AM
I have yet to use it on my Miata, but for everything else made of leather I use a product called Bick 4. It's targeted to the equine industry and it has kept my saddle in great shape for many years. I use it equine equipment, boots, shoes, my dads Cadillac interior, and any other letter bits I need to condition. It is not a cleaner, I use glycerine soap for that.

Tkblazer
11-30-2015, 07:31 PM
I have some leather master products I use on my lexus, but you could just try using warm water and woolite as a cleaner. Try using with a clean rag at first and if you need something stronger, use a stiff bristled brush.

mini_fd
11-30-2015, 09:02 PM
@freedommogli- does that go with all their line of cars or just the Miata? Since I have an rx7 I am opened to clean, restore, and condition my seats.

freedomgli
12-01-2015, 11:51 AM
I don't know as I don't have experience with RX-7 seats. But the Japanese in general weren't known for using the good stuff.

mini_fd
12-01-2015, 06:33 PM
I picked up upon suggestion of the cleaner and conditioner

Agent☣Orange
12-01-2015, 08:21 PM
The hard thing about automotive "leather" seats is that they're not entirely leather. Either the bottom and back are leather with vinyl sides or vice versa. No leather conditioner is going to eliminate cracks as that's actually a dyed/painted surface that no cream or lotion is going to truly fix.

mini_fd
12-02-2015, 05:41 PM
Spare excellent condition passenger side leather seat cover. All I need is the drivers side. Luckily, no one wants tan interiors and I only like them because of the contrast to montego blue

But I know what your talking about but we can at least maintain the leather.

url=https://flic.kr/p/APeM4k]https://farm1.staticflickr.com/618/22850693453_3ca9667244_b.jpg[/url]Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/APeM4k) by Gerald Mugar (https://www.flickr.com/photos/geraldmugar/), on Flickr