PDA

View Full Version : NB Aftermarket Support?

bino995
02-16-2016, 09:55 PM
I have a 99, and I haven't been able to find much aftermarket support for the NBs. Everything I find is either NA or NC.

Anyone know of any good places to look for just general aftermarket parts for the NB generation?

NCGreasemonkey
02-16-2016, 10:01 PM
What are you in search of? Engine, body.... Hit MiataRoadster or any of the sponsors. And there is the for sale or trade section.

Welcome new one and we are here to help. But you have to put forth a little effort, too.

revlimiter
02-16-2016, 10:43 PM
I make gauges in all colors of the rainbow for NBs - something like 35 different standard designs as of current.

And vent rings. And window switches. And my badges can fit the NB too!

bino995
02-16-2016, 11:36 PM
Sorry I should have more descriptive. I'm looking for more aesthetic items. For the time being I'm looking at making mine look different than every other nb I see around town. Fender flares or overfenders, lips etc. I found wheels on ebay through a company I've used for my sentra. I'm more or less looking for a place to start for specifically nb's. Everyone I look I find countless NA stuff, I may just not be searching correctly? I'm not sure.

mx54life
02-17-2016, 03:29 AM
Sorry I should have more descriptive. I'm looking for more aesthetic items. For the time being I'm looking at making mine look different than every other nb I see around town. Fender flares or overfenders, lips etc. I found wheels on ebay through a company I've used for my sentra. I'm more or less looking for a place to start for specifically nb's. Everyone I look I find countless NA stuff, I may just not be searching correctly? I'm not sure.

CarbonMiata.com

Hyper
02-17-2016, 09:43 AM
back in the days it was Rspeed. now is: http://rev9autosport.com/nb.html

This is possibly the best looking NB in this forum: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?3448-Fiona-NB-Build

woahmiata
02-17-2016, 02:33 PM
Autokonexion offers a set of flares for an nb, I can't speak for the quality as I don't own them... They also offer a fastback hardtop, which in my opinion, would set it apart like nothing else. Small details also make a large difference, and like stated above, rev9 has you covered on that.

bino995
02-17-2016, 04:51 PM
Sweet, thanks guys. I looked at the sponsor pages a bit last night. Do any of the sponsors offer any sales anything? Trying to ball on a budget can be difficult sometimes. @Hyper that nb is beautiful.

I'm currently having to get the head rebuilt, unless anyone knows where I can find a semi used head for a similar price as the rebuild (it's $460). I have some wheels in mind and a paint scheme I want to do. Its currently silver with this weird maroon top on it. I either wanna murder it out with some colorful wheels, or just black with red wheels and top. I have coilovers a new steering wheel w/quick release and some small bits to do while head is getting rebuilt.

Greasemonkey2000
02-17-2016, 05:23 PM
Murder is illegal for good reason. :fp: ;)

NA by far has the best and most plentiful aftermarket parts(its been out for over 25yrs) but NB is a close second. As far as aesthetics goes parts can be had from: Revlimiter, Rev9autosport, Miata Roadster, Carbon Miata, Goodwin Racing, GarageStar, Project-G and various other vendors.

wannafbody
02-17-2016, 06:38 PM
At this point, I'd avoid Autokonexion as some people are waiting over 6 months for parts. Carbonmiata seems to be the most reliable for fiberglass or carbon fiber.

woahmiata
02-17-2016, 07:05 PM
Yeah, I kinda have gathered that from what i've heard about them... They really need to consider expanding they're business.

bino995
02-17-2016, 08:07 PM
I looked at carbonmiata and they're surprisingly affordable so long as you stray away from carbon fiber. Now it's a matter of saving up and buy parts slowly.

On a side note, would it be more beneficial to sacrifice oem fenders to the fender flare gods or just roll the fenders out really far? I plan on squeezing 15x8s on the car. I know rolling is generally cheaper but I was more wondering if anybody had any personal experience with rolled fenders?

Greasemonkey2000
02-17-2016, 08:23 PM
Good parts aren't cheap so save up and i guarantee you will be money ahead in the long run but most importantly do your research and shop around. The forums for sale section and want to buy sections has saved me a lot of money vs buying new.

Depending on ride height, camber, tire size and offset of the 15x8 then fender rolling may not even be necessary. I have 15x8 +25mm w/225/45/15s and at stock ride height it was fine, of course, once lowered more than a 1" then fender rolling was necessary; had the same setup on my NB1 as is on Warbird(NA8) currently.

Pulling the fenders is a option but again how much is necessary depends on the previously mentioned variables.

bino995
02-17-2016, 08:36 PM
15x8 +15 w 195/55-15 going for slammed but not dragging everywhere with as little camber as possible but as much as necessary.

bino995
02-17-2016, 08:52 PM
Kind of trying for the hellaflush look

V12
03-10-2018, 09:23 AM
OK dumb question time. I'm looking to purchase my first phase of modification. Intake and exhaust. Illinois does not have emission testing and the price for same parts is quite a bit cheaper. Other than the cost difference, am I getting anymore performance by using them and would you use carb legal or not? Also, can I use say..illegal intake and match it up with legal exhaust to save a little cash? Reason, may move some day to a state with emission testing and intake replacement is the cheaper part to change out. BTW looking at Roadster sport mid pipe and muffler and HPS intake which is not carb legal.

Greasemonkey2000
03-10-2018, 10:11 AM
If your area/state doesn't do emission testing or use C.A.R.B. standards then it doesn't matter. Really the only price difference that matters in terms of exhaust is the catalytic converter/midpipe.

DarylSibcy
03-10-2018, 10:51 AM
If moving is on the agenda then keep everything emission legal as if you’re planning on moving. Any exhaust will add a nice bump in power because the original design is over 20yrs old. Start from the back and work your way forward.

Mostly it’ll only change the exhaust note rather than add a bundle of power. It does help the car breathe better though

V12
03-10-2018, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the response think I'll go legal then. Never know what the future holds. Better buy now before price goes up thanks to new tariff agreement with steal companies:(

V12
03-13-2018, 11:19 AM
Was checking around the forums as to what others had to say bout their RS3 purchase when I came across some talk of the RS4...not many people using it and wondered why if it really can reduce the drone some complain of when the top is up. Anybody actually have/heard this muffler before and is it worth buying over the 3? I have to get this right the first time when I buy cuz the budget is limited (kid going to grad school next year).

Greasemonkey2000
03-13-2018, 12:48 PM
The Roadstersport 4 exhaust has a Helmholtz chamber, so it should eliminate all drone.

kung fu jesus
03-13-2018, 02:20 PM
A little experience with CARB and other states' emission testing. In CA, CARB was a test and and a visual inspection. A bit harder than NC, or GA where I live now. Though you could get your car to pass smog in CA, it was the visual that was dodgy. Most run-down shops were the ones to go to as they really didn't know what to look for when they open your hood, unless it's an obvious modification. However, if you are stopped by police and they suspect you have illegal mods, they will summon you to a referee where your car will be inspected a lot closer. An OBD2 car will also be plugged in to check for codes and the systems' state of readiness (among other items).

On my NA, I couldn't get the car to pass the emissions with a Link ECU and injectors, so I made all those style mods easily reversible. I had a CARB legal Jackson Racing header, but I also used a Trackdog header blanket. All the times I had that car inspected, they never lifted the blanket to check it. I knew guys with FM turbo kits in CA who removed the system and ECU every year on non-legal kits. Same with superchargers.

A lot of people, myself included, made 'illegal' CA mods, but we did them in a way that made the car easy to revert to stock every other year, as required.

In GA, it's a plug & go inspection for OBD2 cars, GA does rolling road test on OBD1 cars younger than 25 years, tailpipe emissions. My NB here in the smog-cert counties of Atlanta was a 5 minute test. They could care less what the mods are, so long as the OBD2 system checks out (no codes, state of readiness). All the states will peak for a cat with a mirror.

NC was a minor inspection (tread depth, pad depth, operating horn, all exterior lights, windshield,etc.)

I know other states are a lot more stringent with their inspections and emissions (VA, NY).

I wouldn't worry a lot about CARB legal mods unless it pertains to your immediate needs.

V12
03-13-2018, 05:43 PM
Thanks Steve for taking the time to put all that down. Had no idea how involved some states would get over this! Or that some such as yourself go to the trouble to switch back all the mods every 2 years. Arizona is the state I may be moving to in afew years. I'll have to check this out as to how they do things. So much I dont like about Illinois but they have none of this. Guess I should be thankful.

kung fu jesus
03-14-2018, 07:52 AM
AZ is similar to GA, IIRC, there are only certain counties that do testing, around Phoenix and Tuscon (?). Maybe look up their testing procedures. GA you can do whatever you want so long as it passes the plug-in test (including engine swaps) and has a cat.