PDA

View Full Version : Help an excited newbie - Thoughts on this car???

Stig
04-15-2016, 03:12 PM
Hello all,

My name is Michael and I've just made the (seemingly popular) decision to get into a Miata for the track. I'm just starting out and looking to learn, so wanted to keep costs low and invest in the best learner's platform I could...so I landed on an NA. I'll be doing HPDE type events...that'll be the cars main purpose...although it will probably be driven to the track not trailers (at least sometimes) and may see other occasional road duty.

I found a car I'm very excited about...and I was wondering if I could call upon your collective wisdom to get your opinions - I've been looking for a few month and think I understand the market, but I know that my knowledge pales in comparison to the experts here :)

Here are the details.

1992 NA
1.8 Motor, Tranny and LSD swap from a 60k mile donor car. Motor work done before swap: cleaned valves, new valve cover gasket, plugs, wires, oil pan gasket, rear main seal, etc
New axles
New Exedy Clutch Pro Kit with a Chromoly lightweight 10lb flywheel
Front and rear drilled/slotted rotors (EBC yellow/ stoptechs
Edelbrock braided brake lines
Megan Racing coil overs
Autopower Bolt in Roll Cage (DOM Steel)
GForce 5 point harness
Corbeau Racing seat SFI Approved
Allstar roll bar padding
Racequip window net mount
Allstar window net
Quickcar racing master disconnect switch
GForce arm restraints
New MAF sensor
New radiator
New Timing Belt
New Shift boot
MSD RPM Switch
Racing Steering wheel
Stainless steel racing header
Straight pipe into magna flow muffler

Disclosure Items:
Car is currently registered and inspected so it's road legal (which works well for me)
Some suspension work may be in the car's future - lower ball joints and tie rod ends (boot cracking)
No hardtop
I'm scheduled to have a Miata shop PPI (inspect) it and do a compression test before I purchase

PIX

So, do the Miata gods have any opinions on this car? Good? Great? Crap? What's a fair price?

Thanks so much and looking forward to becoming a contributor around here :)

Phatmiata
04-15-2016, 04:56 PM
looks good but what are they asking for it?

HarryB
04-15-2016, 05:01 PM
Cage might not be compatible with a roof/HT. Also it is missing a cam cover :P

tsingson
04-15-2016, 05:16 PM
I've seen this ad. I think he is asking $4400.

Stig
04-15-2016, 05:57 PM
I've seen this ad. I think he is asking $4400.

That's right. I'm really trying to figure out what it's worth. It` can never be a spec miata, and it's gutted, so it's not a street car. Seems good for my uses of HPDE, but that's it. Not sure how to value it.

Any ideas?

kung fu jesus
04-15-2016, 08:53 PM
Good idea on the PPI. Off the top of my head, I was going to say about $5k, but I have questions:

Is the car running the stock ECU or a standalone? Which 1.8 is it? The NA8 (94-97) or from an NB? Are the brakes still 1.6 brakes or are they larger 1.8 brakes? What is the gear ratio on the swapped LSD? How many miles are on the chassis? Any signs of accidents or rust?

If it is an NB 1.8, a reputable shop will know how to test for thrust bearing play. I'm particular about details, especially on a car I take on a track, so suspension bushings, hardware, ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, wheel bearing condition, and tertiary systems are also important. How many miles are on the transmission would also be a good question.

kung fu jesus
04-15-2016, 08:57 PM
Keep in mind, too, some 1.6 spec Miatas can be had for 6-8k now with logbooks, a top, and spares. It depends on how you value it's function and whether you ever want to drive a car like this on a street.

A well-sorted NA for dual use would run 4-8 k, depending on options and equipment.

90blue
04-15-2016, 10:28 PM
Looks to be a decent car for the money.

I would have liked to see 15" with R compound tires, better brakes & coilovers, exhaust and spares for a bump in price.

A stripped interior will get old rather quickly driving on the road.