PDA

View Full Version : 2004 NB (B6ZE) question

richrawks
05-08-2016, 04:14 AM
Hello, my name is Rich. I'm currently in germany and am about to purchase a 2004 NB with 1.6l (euro spec). I've owned a 1991 (u.s. spec) with the same engine. My question is, are these engines identical or what are differences? Will parts from a NA 1.6 fit and work on a NB 1.6? I searched the forums and closest post I could find was this thread http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?11980-Replace-a-1-6-B6-ZE-(NB)-with-a-1-8-BP-(NA)&highlight=b6ze&p=168841#post168841

I appreciate the replies and look forward to soaking up as much information on this forum as possible. Thanks.

RustRat
05-08-2016, 04:18 AM
The '91 uses afm, where the euro-spec B6 in NBs uses a MAF. The CAS is in the intake cam for the NB. The '91 has hydraulic lifters, and the NB has solid lifters. These are some differences i remember.

Maybe HarryB can shed some more light?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HarryB
05-08-2016, 05:20 AM
I know for sure that the CAS is different, not only in location but also in operating principle. Intake and throttle body are different too; however intake manifold and exhaust manifolds should be interchangeable (if they do not interfere with anything chassis-related) as their gaskets are the same from 89-05. So does the cam cover gasket, therefore I believe that the head is the same sans the solid lifters. I also know for sure that alternators are totally different.

Out of curiosity, what parts are you looking of transferring over?

richrawks
05-08-2016, 06:54 AM
I wasn't planning on swapping anything. However, if I were to buy aftermarket parts, I wanted to know if I could purchase aftermarket parts from a U.S. vendor for a NA B6ZE. For example, an aftermarket intake, a NA B6ZE probably woudn't fit on a NB B6ZE if the throttle body is different. Thanks for the replies.

kung fu jesus
05-08-2016, 08:16 AM
I don't know if this will help, but I was under the impression that the NB 1.6 engine was a BP block and head. I have not seen nor laid hands on one. If that is true, US 1.6 parts would not be applicable.

richrawks
05-08-2016, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the info.. I'll have to do some research. There is a vast difference in the pricing of U.S. parts vs Euro and I'm just trying to balance out the car a little bit, power wise. I'm planning on tracking this at the nurburgring for the next 4 years. I'm hoping to get a power/weight ratio between 15 and 20.

RustRat
05-08-2016, 04:24 PM
NA and NB euro-spec engines share the shame block. I was about to buy a spare block from an NB to rebuild my NA engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richrawks
05-09-2016, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the info all, sounds like I would just have to purchase euro spec aftermarket intake and I can go american spec on the exhaust. Wasn't planning on going FI. Just want a lil more hp to balance any suspension upgrades.

HarryB
05-09-2016, 11:52 AM
Do not expect much in an NA engine though; especially on 1.6. Mazda did a decent job on the exhaust manifold and the intake to be honest. Dunno what's to be had with cams and higher compression though. An aftermarket ECU would also be a good investment, given that most probably fuel consumption will go down (if programmed right)