PDA

View Full Version : Miata Popup Headlight goes crazy

BRGNA8
05-17-2016, 10:47 PM
Hey guys

Ive noticed that sometimes (quite often now) that my right pop up headlight wont behave as its meant to. I'll press the popup button or turn the headlights on to pop them up, and that's fine. It's when I try and retract them back down that the right one just goes crazy.

It will just flip up and down numerous times before finally settling down and retracting back on its own accord

Ive attached a youtube clip of it going crazy.

Any idea what the issue could be? Retractor rods? Fuse?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4yP5Am6E6g

lowandrusty
05-19-2016, 07:06 AM
I see no problem. Just claim you've done the dancing light mod, it was only available on the JDM version. :mrgreen:

HarryB
05-19-2016, 07:28 AM
Haha, what the hell! Not sure how the NA popup mechanism is, but most probably contains a rotary motor and a crank mechanism to convert the circular motion to linear (as linear e-motors are expensive AF). Seems to me like a "stop" of some sort, mechanical or electrical, is missing; especially since the up-down frequency seems constant. Not much of a help though...

freedomgli
05-19-2016, 07:55 AM
Possible damaged headlamp motor, damaged relay, damaged popup switch in dash.

Phatmiata
05-19-2016, 10:55 AM
Since its only the right side I would say its the motor, possibly some kind of short/relay in the motor, or it just went bad.

BRGNA8
05-19-2016, 11:04 AM
How much are these motors and can you get them from Mazda?

Anyone have a part number?

CMP
05-19-2016, 02:56 PM
Could be worse. At least it doesn't have "Forest Whitaker Eye".

Phatmiata
05-19-2016, 03:18 PM
How much are these motors and can you get them from Mazda?

Anyone have a part number?

ill check for the part number, but IIRC it was over $100 per motor, might want to check the Mazda Parts Recyclers

HarryB
05-19-2016, 03:28 PM
I would rule out everything else first. Car breakers are your best friend when it comes to this.

NCGreasemonkey
05-19-2016, 04:34 PM
I am in the headlight dilemmas now, also. But not your type.

IIRC: Your '96 and my '95 are set up the same. Inside the motor part of the flippie is a pair of stop switches and a timer. What has probably happened to yours is that the lower position switch has lost contact with the contact ring attached to the motor. It doesn't know where down is now. So it keeps going until the timer times-out and then it just freewheels to the lowered position.

If you like to break things see if you can get inside the motor assembly and reestablish contact to the wheel with the switch. If you don't.The remans. over here list at the $200 US mark. Wholesale is around 120.

Or use the, "Here's winking at you, Babe" line.

kung fu jesus
05-21-2016, 02:13 PM
My eye does the same as your headlight when I read other forums.

BRGNA8
05-22-2016, 09:13 AM
I am in the headlight dilemmas now, also. But not your type.

IIRC: Your '96 and my '95 are set up the same. Inside the motor part of the flippie is a pair of stop switches and a timer. What has probably happened to yours is that the lower position switch has lost contact with the contact ring attached to the motor. It doesn't know where down is now. So it keeps going until the timer times-out and then it just freewheels to the lowered position.

If you like to break things see if you can get inside the motor assembly and reestablish contact to the wheel with the switch. If you don't.The remans. over here list at the $200 US mark. Wholesale is around 120.

Or use the, "Here's winking at you, Babe" line.

Thanks for that info mate! Going to check it out.

I wonder if this is a common problem? Part of me says to just get a working motor (brand new or 2nd hand from wreckers) and just put it in....but if its an easy fix, I'll be willing to try it

NCGreasemonkey
05-22-2016, 04:38 PM
Over here the GM wiper motors are similar. Just take off the cover, retension the contact (read bend to make contact, LOL), wipe out the old lube and add some die-electric grease for moisture protection. :cheers:

NCGreasemonkey
05-22-2016, 05:14 PM
Ok. So after my last post I got curious to see that I didn't lead you awry.

Bad motor out of Noir's left front flippie.

http://i.imgur.com/qyS5Olc.jpg

In this pic. you will see two screws (at 10 and 4 o'clock) that you need to pull. And you might notice why this motor died. Note hole in raised portion just to the left of where the wires come out of the black cover. And yes, I am allergic to manual labor. Hence Makita!

http://i.imgur.com/xR1bWLH.jpg

Inside you find the three contacts and the wheel. Clean wheel and get some die-electric grease and lightly coat it. Re-tension the three contacts (don't over bend. you might move them enough to have them not tracking the corrct line of the wheel) and put back together.

http://i.imgur.com/x8W5TA4.jpg

I got in touch with my inner KFJ just now. I feel GOOD! Dana-na-na-na! HTH!