PDA

View Full Version : '91 BRG - #2307 - 110K w/ hardtop, tonneau. Original. What's it worth?

BRGing
05-20-2016, 09:16 PM
I'm the second owner. I bought the car in Colorado in 1992 w/ 1,100 mi. on it. Garaged most of its life, except for awhile it took us to build our home in Tennessee when it had to sit outside because the 2-car garage in the rental house was full of our stuff! It has never been in an accident - the original paint still looks good. New tan top w/ glass - 2013. Timing belt & clutch at 85K. Seat leather replaced in 2015. I bought the car to replace a '66 BRG Sunbeam Tiger that I had until the mid-seventies and always regretted selling. All SE options incl. hardtop & hoist. Tonneau in great shape. Original AM/FM CD/cassette player w/ headrest speakers. Good CARFAX. Original window sticker from John Elway Mazda in Colorado.
I will hate to see the car go, but we're getting very little use out of it. (Even though we live about 15 miles from the US129 "tail of the dragon" in Tennessee - that bit of road was made for the Miata!) My wife doesn't like to get in & out of it anymore. She prefers her Infiniti G - imagine!
I'm new here and not good at posting, so forgive any faux pas, please! Just trying to get an idea from you guys in the know as to what I should ask?

Martin
05-20-2016, 09:38 PM
Beautiful car!

kung fu jesus
05-20-2016, 09:43 PM
$8k

Phatmiata
05-21-2016, 12:28 PM
$8500 to $10,000 if sold on eBay. If just Craiglisting it then get prepared for lowballers.

You have to find the right buyer that really wants a BRG. Most that are willing to pay a higher price with cash will want sub 50k miles.

Can't finance old cars anymore. So most likely $6500 to $8500 if sold on the local market.

kung fu jesus
05-21-2016, 06:26 PM
Just curious, but is it a big or small nose crank? The former is preferred over the stigmata of the blown out keyway the later carries. Small nose engines, some parts specific to that change are at a premium and becoming a bit harder to attain. Oil pumps, pulleys, etc. The big nose engines can use BP engine parts in those categories.

BRGing
05-21-2016, 09:31 PM
Just curious, but is it a big or small nose crank? The former is preferred over the stigmata of the blown out keyway the later carries. Small nose engines, some parts specific to that change are at a premium and becoming a bit harder to attain. Oil pumps, pulleys, etc. The big nose engines can use BP engine parts in those categories.

Thanks for your interest and thoughtful reply! I have been assured by Lance Schall's article in the Miata Magazine in 1996 that VIN numbers 209447 and above are sure to have the crankshaft w/ the large diameter nose. Mine is #229536 so I'm quite confident it's OK.
Thanks again!

BRGing
05-21-2016, 09:53 PM
$8500 to $10,000 if sold on eBay. If just Craiglisting it then get prepared for lowballers.

You have to find the right buyer that really wants a BRG. Most that are willing to pay a higher price with cash will want sub 50k miles.

Can't finance old cars anymore. So most likely $6500 to $8500 if sold on the local market.

I'd like to think you are right about the value, and I have no reason to doubt you. That's why I asked! Thanks.
So do you think eBay is advisable? I've never tried it before, but have some friends that may show me how it works. Obviously I'm interested in the sale price, but would really like to think it went to someone who would care for it. Maybe even leave it stock, for the most part. If it is indeed going up in value (Jay Leno?) leaving it original may be the best way to preserve the value. What do you think? I know that after it's sold, it's none of my business anymore, but...
Thanks for your input & any advice.

BRGing
05-21-2016, 10:03 PM
Beautiful car!

Yeah (sigh).
I've always been proud to be seen in it!
Although accepting compliments as the owner of a beautiful (unmodified) car may be presumptuous of me. The designer and builder certainly get most of the credit, and that's as it should be!
Thanks, still.

kung fu jesus
05-21-2016, 10:39 PM
The valuations are all over the place, but people are willing to pay good money on exceptional examples. To do that, you have to get the most exposure.

I really suggest heading off the tire kickers and low-ballers off at the pass. To do that, get the documentation organized. Take pictures of the good AND the bad. Have the car fully inspected, such as a PPI. Serious buyers want real data, so compression numbers, receipts, maintenance records all matter. Have it done by a reputable dealer or repair shop, one that knows the car. If you post it at the high end, people will be asking you to have it thoroughly inspected so having it done ahead of time speeds up the process and saves you time trying to schedule it to an interested buyer's demands. Yes, it's going to cost maybe $100-300 to do this, but it's an ROI proving your care and dedication during your ownership.

Take a video or two and post it on YouTube. Make the settings public or public to those with the link. Have the car sit in a bright setting. Do a walk-around. No narration necessary. Point to flaws so viewers get a size reference by your finger. While filming, get in the car, start it, show the instruments while doing so. Show the power windows operating, pop the hood to see it idling, rev it a bit by hand, open and close the doors, trunk, film the top going up and down. This shows what people are buying, but it also cuts out the legs of the nay-sayers. Hide nothing.

I did this when I sold my e30 last year. This sort of documentation separated the wheat from the chaff.

Keep the car stock. Fix only what is needed to present the car in the top condition that fetches that pricing.

Lastly, be prepared to decide if you want to deal with out of state buyers. Read up on escrow, shipping, and all that entails. Decide what terms you want to set to sell your car and those you won't. I was unprepared for the interest on the e30 from buyers on the west coast and New England. Even had a person from Canada interested.

These are the sort of things to think about selling an excellent-condition future classic. Good luck!

NCGreasemonkey
05-22-2016, 06:35 AM
You are not too far from me. And this could be the Ying to Noir's Yang. I am building a blaster that has a salvaged title. Would never destroy a pristine one. PM me what you want and I'll see if it is in my budget. :bow: