PDA

View Full Version : Miata achievement unlocked

kung fu jesus
05-21-2016, 02:51 PM
What was the one accomplishment you performed to your Miata that made you feel like you attained a new level of cred or understanding among Miata enthusiasts? It can be a repair, a modification, a trip, or experience that you heard others describe that you did yourself that made you feel like you earned your stripes.

wannafbody
05-21-2016, 03:02 PM
Doing a seat re-upholstery job and replacing the softtop.

Airbrush1
05-21-2016, 03:33 PM
I'd have to say doing my first rollbar install, and a successful diy turbo setup on my first miata

Pyr0monk3y
05-21-2016, 03:44 PM
I did a diff swap all by myself only a few months after I bought my car. Not only did it make the car so much better to drive, but I felt like it was officially mine after that.

modernbeat
05-21-2016, 04:01 PM
I cut the windshield off for an SCCA Prepared class car.

At that point I knew I was committed.
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv198/aaa-111/XP_Miata/SNC11017.jpg

Dandy
05-21-2016, 05:59 PM
Modification - my first shock/spring swap on my '92. Trip - traveling from Florida to the Flyin' Miata open house in Colorado and back . . . and taking three weeks to do it (lots and lots of back-roads and a lot of historic route 66). Experience - Driving as fast as my skills would let me through the tail of the dragon the first time . . . and every time thereafter.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/775/1521/1935760049_large.jpghttp://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/775/1521/1935760052_large.jpghttp://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/775/1521/1935760063_large.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_x0KQOSssWQE/SH1nZaKeQoI/AAAAAAAAAH4/Atu_ug-EaEY/s400/Tail+of+the+Dragon+015.jpg

JamieH
05-21-2016, 06:24 PM
Probably when I went to the Dragon and did a drive in front of my friend Zach. Changed his opinion of my driving. He had the impression I was just like an old man, show car, kind of Miata owner. He now says I'm fast, which I don't think so, but I say the same about him and says the same about himself. We also go back and forth saying the other is faster, that passenger perspective is a hell of a thing.

NCGreasemonkey
05-21-2016, 06:29 PM
Love this thread. And these replies. Dandy, next time you are up for a Tail run hollar.

I think my link will come after June 5th. I'll update once the parts are here and installed.

kung fu jesus
05-21-2016, 06:51 PM
Excellent replies. :)

I like reading about this.

Jamie, FWIW, having watched you and Zachary drive, you are smoother where Zach is more aggressive and confident. Your inputs when you drive are measured and consistent, Zach sticks it and corrects as he needs. That's my observation.

NCGreasemonkey
05-21-2016, 07:04 PM
KFJ, hopefully next year I will have Noir up to auto-x and track-day form. Hope to get your critique and let you run her to see where she needs to be tweaked. I'll run her first, then be in the passenger seat. :cheers:

kung fu jesus
05-21-2016, 07:13 PM
I followed both Zach and Jamie. Jamie was hustling his car really well for it being dead stock. It made me remember how much fun they are like that. Slow car fast takes steady, smooth inputs and heads-up skill to do so.

JamieH
05-21-2016, 07:36 PM
Jamie, FWIW, having watched you and Zachary drive, you are smoother where Zach is more aggressive and confident. Your inputs when you drive are measured and consistent, Zach sticks it and corrects as he needs. That's my observation.

I do try to be smooth, but I have a tendacy to start going in a bit hot once I get into the groove of things. I've really gotta learn to be more mindful of that. Zach says he always goes in with a little room for correction just "in case." Which is probably a lot safer.

There was this one moment on that MATG trip where I was on 129 by myself and I had caught up to a well modded SW20 MR2 that was really going at it once we got around slower traffic. For about 8, 9-10 corners I found myself keeping up but on the absolute limit. It was a surreal short experience where I knew I was driving her too hard, my adrenaline had me on edge and I could feel something bad was likely to happen if I didn't back off. I felt like my mind and body couldn't keep up with what the adrenaline was doing to me. It's something I haven't felt since, possibly for the best.

Some wrenching experiences would be helping my friend Edd install his rollbar, as I bought Betty with a rollbar already installed, installing a new canvas top on Zach's beater S2K (Miata, S2K, as far as top construction, more or less the same), and just recently, finally installing Xidas.

Martin
05-21-2016, 08:01 PM
Installing a Sebring supercharger did it for me. I had only done a few stereo installs before that.

kung fu jesus
05-21-2016, 08:03 PM
Your instinct to know when to back off is the 'heads up' part I'm referring to. Zach leaves room to correct. Neither is good or bad, just different styles and philosophies.

NCGreasemonkey
05-21-2016, 08:09 PM
:slayer:They may both begin with S but stereo and supercharger are a big leap. Martin goes balls out off the cliff.

Peace, Rick

Satisaii
05-21-2016, 08:35 PM
Completely rewiring one of my cars. Now applying those skills to a 240Z with a SR20DE swap.

tsingson
05-21-2016, 09:52 PM
Mine was after completely changing it from the "previous owner's car" to "Damn, that's Anthony's car." I wanted to make it where you looked at the car and couldn't believe it was the same car. When I did that, I knew I was where I wanted to be.

turboedpickup
05-21-2016, 11:45 PM
Cheers to that. I feel the same way...even though the PO doesn't really care. But for me, it was the timing belt change. First one on any car...was this current one. I've been holding off attempting to do it for so long. Either way...it rings true...if you have the right tools it's indescribably easier.

RustRat
05-22-2016, 08:21 AM
Drifting a roundabout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RustRat
05-22-2016, 08:22 AM
In reality, one of the more challenging jobs that felt good when it was done, was swapping the rollbar from my NA into a friend's NB. Well, almost swapped. The rear mounting points are only held with one bolt, but it's something...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dandy
05-22-2016, 01:40 PM
Love this thread. And these replies. Dandy, next time you are up for a Tail run hollar.

I think my link will come after June 5th. I'll update once the parts are here and installed.

Will do. It has been a few years since I last passed by that way but I generally go out of my way to make a couple of passes through the tail if I am anywhere nearby.

OnePaintedMan
05-22-2016, 03:21 PM
The moment I sat back and looked at my finished dash mod. . .

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c279/drew_collier/Project%20Ronin/Ronin073_zpsef1ef13a.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/drew_collier/media/Project%20Ronin/Ronin073_zpsef1ef13a.jpg.html)

NCGreasemonkey
05-22-2016, 04:27 PM
Drifting a roundabout.

Those are popping up around here like crazy. And everytime I come to one I have to resist the urge to jerk the wheel and pop the clutch.

EunosMonster
05-22-2016, 09:33 PM
Doing the timing belt as my first bigger DIY (waterpump and bearings was a piece of cake compared) as someone said elsewhere , "its not for the faint of heart". I'm thinking a full engine / tranny swap maybe an easier route next time but I may prove myself wrong...

Slampen
05-23-2016, 07:05 AM
Each time I do something the first time.

What made me increase multiple leves was replacing the softtop and replacing all brake calipers.

CMP
05-23-2016, 07:28 AM
This is a tough question for me... I came into it with a fairly hefty amount of experience wrenching on Hondas, so I was at full tilt from the moment I bought the Miata. I started in the first weekend or so with a complete reseal and timing belt/water pump replacement, followed by roll bar installation. Since then I've completely replaced the entire braking system and suspension with a bunch of other bits in between including replacing a soft top on my living room floor one winter. Right now, I don't think I can pick any singular event to say I've accomplished the greatest Miata achievement.

Right now I'm working on tightening the loose nut behind the steering wheel at track events, and I'm helping to instruct those already.

My next step, though, is going to take me into the fantastic world of cross-manufacturer engine swaps. As far as I'm concerned, this will be the pinnacle of Miata achievements I've unlocked. At least until I get my competition license.

HarryB
05-23-2016, 08:05 AM
After FSAE the Miata is a joke :P

Agent☣Orange
05-24-2016, 12:01 AM
Most excellent thread brother. I don't have any claim to fame. I don't have the Italia kit nor a lot of JDM goodness, just a normal Miata. If I could reach for anything, I would say that I drove a Yellow Miata around north Idaho instead of an F150. With the exception of Boise, most of that state remains pretty much stuck in the 50s.

Demon I Am
05-24-2016, 08:44 AM
I don't think the point of it is internet fame. It's moreso personal confidence and pride.

I've been around Miatas for 10 years, and am on my 4th. I've never owned a "show car" or had more than a handful of mods that anyone who isn't me ever cared about. But, I am confident in that I've removed/repaired/replaced every single part of these cars (minus the engine's interior). I've done rust removal and tub repainting, interior swaps, suspension intalls, top replacements, FFS supercharger install, and so many other fun things. I've learnt a ton through my mistakes and failures. To me, it's the gained knowledge/wisdom/experience that I'm most proud of in the Miata world.

ueru
05-24-2016, 11:52 AM
I've felt more and more like 'wow, this is mine' after each mod; simple headlight change to diff/suspension swap to more involved fabrication. Even a humble oil change feels pretty good in that kind of way. Looking back on it though... maybe traveling across the world to drive 9 hours to go look at a bunch of miatas in a parking lot. And then paying $30 to get a sticker and a badge to prove that I looked at a bunch of miatas in a parking lot.

Grumpy
05-24-2016, 02:48 PM
Before owning a Miata, I'd never even changed my own oil. The Miata community was a big part of why I started trying to do work on a car. The NC saw fluid changes, short shifter install, some lighting, and a radio install. The biggest things for that Miata, were a T-stat change(much harder than an NA, requires removal of intake box and other parts) and a suspension swap. The NA has a bit more work under the hood that i've done, and looking forward to the suspension swap, and FM Frame rail install, if I can only find the time.

MemphisMiata
05-24-2016, 04:20 PM
I didn't think it was THAT big of a deal to change out the soft top on my 1990 NA,but after I did it & was talking to my buddy Glen & heard HIM say "dude - I didn't even do THAT myself!" I was pretty proud...especially since he owns Clearwater!

Fishbulb
05-24-2016, 07:36 PM
I'd have to say doing my first rollbar install, and a successful diy turbo setup on my first miata

Same, DIY Turbo on my old '95. Shit, I *STILL* talk about it to anyone who will listen... :)

theothersawyer
05-25-2016, 10:53 AM
Mine wasn't necessarily one single job or mod or anything. My Miata was my first car and I knew nothing about cars at the time. I have always been a huge car guy, but didn't know how they worked, what parts were what, etc. A month after I bought the Miata it blew up on me! Oil leaked onto a coolant hose and the car overheated! I spent the next month or so watching my sisters boyfriend ( now my brother-in-law) rebuild my motor. I learned a lot from that and know a lot more about Miata's now.

My car has broken down so many times that I have learned a ton (lots of credit has to be given to Eric, RotorNutFD3S) from it breaking and needing to fix it all up again! I still somehow consider my car reliable, but I think it spends more time on jack stands than it does on the road....

Also, every time I do a track day I am reminded how amazing these cars are! So much fun to drive even though they have such little amounts of horsepower!

kung fu jesus
05-25-2016, 05:49 PM
Tony has it spot on.

There have been many repairs and experiences that have made me feel that way, some even when someone else pointed them out to me.

I already knew a decent amount about cars, it was in my environment as I grew up.

There isn't any one repair or mod, because it has been an incremental learning experience, most I enjoyed, some not so much. The same can be said for the memories and experiences the car gave me over the years.

I think the one I always remember is the M@LSR in 2010. Only the second year of the event and it was already a big deal to the local community. The trip up the PCH, the caravan was winding its way north. I somehow wound up leading the group at one point, but we were hitting slow cars along the way. After following one such car, I got around it at one of the few passing zones in a particular curvy section and took off. There it was, a beautiful sunny day, driving the curves of the PCH hard, ocean on my left, mountains on the right, no cars in front of or behind me. 20 minutes of bliss with no interruptions. The smells of the sea, the sounds of the surf barely heard over the straining engine happily taking what my right foot gave it, just amazing. I slowed down eventually to let the caravan catch up and I thoroughly enjoyed what was probably the best Miata-related weekend I have ever experienced.

modernbeat
05-26-2016, 10:49 PM
I called out an intellectual property thief that was knocking off a really useful JDM product that was available in North America, unlike many JDM products. And what was worse, he was spreading the lie that he developed it. I couldn't do much to stop him from offering his parts, so instead I showed the community how do DIY for just pennies.

The "modernbeat" shock top method.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2343497/1991-mazda-miata-mx-5/

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv198/aaa-111/forums/23434970003_large.jpg