PDA

View Full Version : Reconditioning BBS 14" Wheels?

WaWaZat
06-09-2016, 09:08 PM
I guess the previous owner of my '92 Black & Tan loved curbs because my stock BBS wheels have passion scars galore!

According to all the wheel reconditioners, near me in the Chicago area, the procedure is a chemical strip, a media blast... the lips of the BBS' are machined... so a lip polishing, silver powder coating inside the lip and then a clear coat of the whole thing. It's likely that the silver won't match the center caps exactly so a paint of those to match the powder.

From what I understand from BBS, these lightweight wheels cannot be heated more than 250 degrees. All these powder coaters are baking upwards of 450 but every single one of them ASSURES me they do all sorts of alloy wheels including lightweight drag race wheels, exotics, etc, and to rest assure that their process will not compromise the integrity of the wheels. I even talked to the owner of the most reputable shop in town who's told me he has brought in a metallurgist, in the past, to make sure that heating wheels will not have ill effect. Now I would think that the manufacturer knows best the type of aluminum used, what the properties are and what kind if heat would be a problem. The owner of the reputable shop tells me this goes for all grades of aluminum out there and that nothing is comprised until getting to at least twice the temps of their oven. Perhaps the German engineers, in true form, are being overly engineerious??

I understand there are cold powders that can be used which only needs heat below the 250 or even ceramic coating which can air dry without any heat. Try to find a wheel reconditioner who does all this...

Does anyone have any knowledge, facts or info with this whole thing?

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p223/WaWaZatt/92%20Miata/IMG_2902.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p223/WaWaZatt/92%20Miata/IMG_3227.jpg

kung fu jesus
06-10-2016, 08:45 AM
What's the goal? OEM appearance or custom?

WaWaZat
06-10-2016, 09:14 AM
What's the goal? OEM appearance or custom?
If I make the effort to recondition these, definitely stock.

Phatmiata
06-10-2016, 09:24 AM
Powdercoating is fine, these are superior quality wheels made in Germany, not China, really would not worry over it. Planning to do the same restoration on my 15" SSR Mesh wheels when money allows.

Phatmiata
06-10-2016, 09:34 AM
Also based on how much they charge it might be cheaper to buy a gently used set of BBS wheels

WaWaZat
06-10-2016, 10:52 AM
Also based on how much they charge it might be cheaper to buy a gently used set of BBS wheels
I've looked... so far, nothing out there without curb rash and imperfections.

Powdercoating is fine, these are superior quality wheels made in Germany, not China, really would not worry over it. Planning to do the same restoration on my 15" SSR Mesh wheels when money allows.

And it's those German engineers who are telling me to NOT heat these above 250.

kung fu jesus
06-10-2016, 10:55 AM
Media blast, correct lip, paint.

HarryB
06-10-2016, 03:45 PM
Interesting debate, painting over powdercoating, would love to hear your thoughts.

IMO 250 is really low. Brake-induced heat could possibly get you higher than that. How did you find out that number? Genuinely curious.

kung fu jesus
06-10-2016, 07:05 PM
A few wheel manufacturers do not recommend powder coating because it can anneal the aluminum. 250 degrees does seem low, but I wonder if that is Celsius or Fahrenheit. 250 C is about 480 F. That makes sense, but I am no metallurgist or engineer.

I had a set of OE daisies PC'd a long time ago to use as track wheels with r-compound tires. A few things surprised me; the lugs had a hard time staying torqued with coating on the seats, and I was surprised how much the spokes flexed. It was enough to cause cracks in the coating. It may have been the coating was just laid on too thick, who knows? I had them coated for free.

The nice thing about paint is you can refresh them if they start to chip or peel, which is cheaper, but more labor intensive.

Stripping damaged power coating is no easy task, but it does hold up better to chemicals. My former SSR Type Cs were factory painted (dark silver with diamond cut lips). When I had a caliper seal fail, the brake fluid ate through the clear coat very quickly and they peeled, looking pretty shabby. I eventually had them straightened, the lips re-cut, and repainted (including clear coat) for $500. $125/wheel.

Phatmiata
06-10-2016, 07:24 PM
I've looked... so far, nothing out there without curb rash and imperfections.

What is your budget? I have a set with 10k original miles. :whistle:

kung fu jesus
06-10-2016, 07:41 PM
If you want to do them on the really cheap side, repair the rash with JB weld or metal putty. First, you can clean them with EZ Off oven cleaner to remove the caked brake dust. It will destroy the paint, but leaves a nice tooth on the surface for spray painting. I did this with a set of 15" Mahle wheels on my e30. I used VHT wheel paint and they turned out decent.

WaWaZat
06-11-2016, 01:18 AM
What is your budget? I have a set with 10k original miles. :whistle:
Are there any imperfections, curb rash, nicks, clear coat wear, etc? Could you PM pix?

WaWaZat
06-11-2016, 01:28 AM
How did you find out that number? Genuinely curious.
This is from a guy at BBS USA. He had gotten this info from and engineer at BBS Germany. I did confirm Fahrenheit.

"If it is a low temperature bake, ±250° F, then you should be fine. Most powders require ±400° F though… that is too high.

Wheels are powder coated all the time and most have not seen the ill-effects of the process. You may not either…"

MiataQuest
06-11-2016, 07:58 AM
I would have the tires removed from the rims.
Then mount them one at a time on the front of the car.
Set something next to the edge of the outside of the rim and spin it.
Does it run true in all planes?
Check the inside of the rim in the same manner.

If yes, you could probably get away with sanding out the curb rash and repainting.
I would only sand until the outer surface was smooth but leave the grooves that may be cut in. Don't take away too much material.
Paint at link:
http://www.hrpworld.com/store/default/wheels-and-tires/bbs-race-wheels-and-accessories/bbs-wheel-paint/silver-bbs-wheel-paint.html
That would make it a nice 10 footer.

If not running true or you really want to take your car to a higher standard, then I would ring up PhatMiata for those wheels.

BTW, I had a similar set of BBS wheels on one of an older daily driver Audi and they were a pain to keep clean.
But they sure do look great and are totally worth it for a weekend warrior.

crispher
06-29-2016, 06:27 AM
I would also paint them instead of powdercoating. Just take your time to prep them well.

Phatmiata
07-05-2016, 10:12 PM
If anyone is interested mine are now for sale.

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?14152-FS-1993-LE-BBS-Wheels-LOW-Miles

http://i.imgur.com/XEuqMol.jpg