PDA

View Full Version : My downpipe and heat shield need replacing. Recommendations?

Pyr0monk3y
09-11-2016, 01:18 PM
Hey guys, I have patched my downpipe and heat shield for the hundredth time and I'm finally in a position to spend some money on the car. The downpipe needs replacing. It has cracked in a couple places near the flange and it's getting so rusty that I feel like the car deserves a new one.

I like the catback setup on the car right now, and the factory exhaust manifold is fine, so I'm really just looking for a solution between the manifold and cat.

I would be fine with a new stock one, but I have not been able to find one.

Can anyone recommend a quality aftermarket downpipe or point me to a good used one? I would just take it to an exhaust shop or have a friend make one, but I am concerned about the lack of heat shield. If I understand correctly it helps the cat ignite sooner, I'd like to keep all of that working as designed.

Thank you.

ScratchNSniff
09-11-2016, 05:48 PM
I've got lots of stock exhaust systems at the shop if that's what you're after...

Pyr0monk3y
09-11-2016, 07:01 PM
I've got lots of stock exhaust systems at the shop if that's what you're after...

Are they used? What sort of condition? I don't want to face this problem again in a couple years. I'm willing to spend the money to fix it right, just not sure what the right way is.

ScratchNSniff
09-12-2016, 10:47 AM
Yea, used ones, have as low as 38K miles, if you want super low mileage used can get that also.

Pyr0monk3y
09-12-2016, 02:57 PM
pm'd

kung fu jesus
09-12-2016, 04:47 PM
Clean ( degrease ) the trans tunnel, under the car, apply a heat shield to the sheet metal.