PDA

View Full Version : Some M2 goodness

vote4pedro
02-04-2012, 11:36 PM
In 1994 I wanted a new car. I was finally down to 2 cars that I liked. I was torn between a miata and the newly re-designed 1994 mustang convertible. I wanted a convertible, but what I really liked was that both were being offered with a removable hard top. What finally swayed me to the miata was the newly adopted 1.8 engine platform and the news from Ford that the optional hard top for the new convertible Mustang was scrapped due to cost, weight, etc.

The miata that I picked was a black C package (the C pak came with a tan interior in 1994) with optional ABS and of course the hard top. I really liked the look of a miata in black and tan, and with the hard top on, the overall look of the car changed to me. It was almost like having two roadsters.

About 4 weeks after I had my miata, I received a complimentary copy of miata magazine through the mail - the summer 1994 issue. In it was an article about the brand new M2 Incorporated model 1028. I liked the look of the roadster with the rug console, and the other exterior and interior bits that were options for that particular M2 model. I had considered trying to make a rug console for my car and actually tried it back in 1998, but the detailing of the initial design that I came up with looked way too amateurish (aka crappy) to me.

Now, fast forward to 2007. I came close to selling my miata after 13 years due to its age and just sheer boredom with what was available after market wise here in the US for Mazda NA’s.

While doing a search on the web 5 years ago, I came across a picture of a white 1028 that someone in Japan had re-done with a red interior (All 1028’s wore standard black color interiors originally from M2 Incorporated).

That one picture gave me an epiphany of modeling my roadster after a black 1028, but still retaining the original tan interior. So I started to do some research and search for a couple of things that I could add to my roadster to sorta make my own M2 1028...

vote4pedro
02-05-2012, 11:05 AM
This is the only pic I have of what my miata looked like before I started my M2 1028 parts quest. The 15” BBS RA II rims I bought when I was going to make my own ‘M edition”, but that never occurred. I also added the mazda trunk lip spoiler and Autoblaze fuel lid. Who knows, that trunk spoiler might resurface sometime in the future. The original top lasted me almost 15 years – not too bad for vinyl and a plastic window. 2098

I had picked up a rough set of the M2 1028 Vitaloni California Sebring door mirrors just before my M2 epiphany. The bases are painted aluminum and are embossed with “M2 Incorporated”. I was able to find the parts needed to refurbish them, and I even went a bit baller and picked up a set of the blue tint Zoom Engineering mirrors to put in them. Later on, I was also able to find the torx head screws that were originally used to mount them and I have also painted the mirror shells PZ black to go with the car & the M2 1028 theme.
Using the mirrors took a bit of getting used to, but they are awesome IMHO.

ChrisJuliano
02-05-2012, 11:24 AM
So far so good!

iRoadster
02-05-2012, 02:10 PM
This is going to be a build worth paying attention to.

etikoner
02-06-2012, 11:21 AM
:D

Please carry on good sir.

oldcafe
02-06-2012, 12:39 PM
i love this project :lol:

vote4pedro
02-08-2012, 04:42 PM
One of the first things I was able to find was an original front strut bar that was used on the 1028 model. It is a square hollow aluminum bar that really does the job, plus the design is a bit different than conventional STB’s that I have seen. Workmanship on this piece is amazing - the welds look perfect. At almost the same time I came across the rear aluminum bulk head brace. It is anodized a cool looking blue black with an original black padded cover.

I then came across these 2 books: One is the owners manual for the M2 1028, which is just cool to have because of what I am trying to accomplish. The other is a parts catalog. Even though written in Japanese, it has given me a lot of insight as to what parts (and even Mazda part numbers) were on the M2 1028 and how things are put together. Things had started to roll by then, and it was only around April of 2007.

Some of the other things I picked up about this time – a 1028 tow hook, ¼ mud guards - used on M2 models, but was a eunos roadster option, and a complete M2 1028 rug console.

I got the tow hook super cheap as it had sun -faded by the loop, and needed refurbishing. I had it powder coated in a metallic red to simulate the anodizing and it came out pretty sweet. The NOS mud guards came pre-painted the appropriate color for an easy install:

The reason I picked up the complete M2 console was to use it as a template to make one in tan and to use the OEM M2 shifter trim assembly. The shifter trim consists of a stamped steel bottom bracket and the top trim and sandwiching the carpet in between with six allen head screws keeping it all together. Nice and simple, but effective and gives a very retro appearance. Making such a set up would be a bit too involved for me, so picking it up was easier, while once again using M2 parts to add to the look that I am striving for. I test fitted the black carpet and was liked how easy to install it was, and how effective it was at transforming the trans tunnel.

vote4pedro
02-08-2012, 04:49 PM

I had wanted to have carpet serging done to the tan rug to keep it looking like the original part, but I have not been successful in tracking down someone who can do it.

*IF ANYONE knows of someone who can do the job, please let me know!*

So the edges are trimmed as they are for now. I also sewed in a few small Velcro strips to help keep the sides/corners from cupping up. The carpet used needed to be dyed to make it closer to the miata tan so I used SEM camel dye. It is as close as possible to the NA tan and looks really good. The M2 1028’s came with a blue-black anodized textured aluminum shifter trim ring that looks nice in contrast to the tan rug console. I picked up a Nakamae tan leather shifter boot (used in the Nakamae NA rug consoles) and a tan leather Nakamae vintage brake boot cover to finish it off. Nakamae quality is amazing. The look and feel of the Nakamae leather products, as well as the color match, is top notch.

vote4pedro
02-08-2012, 05:41 PM
Then I had to modify the 94-97 HVAC trim panel to go with the rug console.
I used a piece of 1/8” Plexiglas fill the gap at the bottom after angle cutting the panel. An angle similar to the bottom of the M2 HVAC panels just did not look right on the 94-97 HVAC trim piece due to the curves on it, so I angled it a bit steeper and finished it in a textured black. (The angle on the bottom of the trim panel actually follows the trans tunnel contour perfectly).

I mentioned earlier I bought the car with the C package. The C package consists of Power-assisted steering, leather-wrapped steering wheel, power mirrors, aluminum alloy wheels, and headrest speakers, cruise control, power windows, automatic power antenna, and the tan interior and top.

I have power windows, and I like having them too. What do I do with the PWS? Crap. I hit a wall. Crap. I could not figure out what to do. Putting the switch under the rug console would make it look like my original attempt. Lumpy and amateurish. What to do. I saw the following pic in a older road&ster issue. It was quite possibly what I was looking for. A Nielex stainless panel that incorporated the radio and the PWS. If it was still available things might work out for me.

While I was waiting for the Nielex part, I started thinking about how the interior was starting to evolve. Staring at the HVAC control panel and switches, I thought they might possibly get changed out too. I purchased a RS Products black aluminum HVAC panel and during a web search found some really cool spun aluminum lever knobs that seemed to go with what I was attempting. Once, everything arrived, I started to get things together.

Willywongka
02-08-2012, 08:45 PM
I love your car Vote4Pedro! So jealous of all of your M2 parts.

etikoner
02-09-2012, 11:48 AM
Your dedication and thoughtful planning really pays off. It's awesome how you think of all the little things.

vote4pedro
02-11-2012, 09:09 AM
Thanks for all of the kind words, I appreciate them. I figured I would give some background as to what I have done/am doing/want to do, even though some stuff was done a while ago...

J

vote4pedro
02-12-2012, 09:38 AM
Since I was on such a roll with the center console, I decided to recover the door panels too. The tops and bottoms were both re-done in tan (94-97 tan miata interiors came stock with the door panel tops in black).

Normally, miata inner door pulls are of a 2 or 3 point design, depending on year, and are made of plastic and or vinyl. I found a set of NOS M2 1028 single point inner door pulls. These are of a durable high quality cloth mesh, and when splayed show off a patch of leather added for grip – nicely thought out.

I also had to add these to the newly skinned door panels:
M2 1001/M2 1002 inner aluminum door handles. They are a unique design that I really admire. I also picked up some aluminum door locks to go with them, but I have left them off for now. M2 1028’s did not come with the 1001/1002 aluminum door handles, so I am just going to have to live with this little divergence from my plans.

After I got it all together it turned out like this:

They do not stand out too much, but I gutted a stock hazard & headlight switch and added toggle switches similar to those seen on Nielex and RS Products. You can also see the M2 1028 leather brake handle and the Murakami M2 1028 leather shift knob that I added. The Murakami knob is identical to the original M2 1028 shift knob, but heftier (weighs in at 280 grams/9.8 oz) than the factory leather covered aluminum M2 knob. It just feels much better to grip. Useless trivia - the 1028 knob is the same as that used for the M2 1001 model, only wrapped in black leather. The PWS I use is a Japanese unit which has different style switches than the USDM one.

morr
02-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Loving this build! Keep it up man :) sub'd

Vegard
02-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Love being able to read all this in one place! That garage never did come back did it... :P

This thing is spotless <3

vote4pedro
02-15-2012, 06:27 PM
Love being able to read all this in one place! That garage never did come back did it... :P

This thing is spotless <3

Yeah they killed, the garage - I lost some pics of the build that were there too, which really sucks.
I do not know about spotless, but I try to take as much care of my miata as we all seem to.

vote4pedro
02-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Besides adding some Mazda M2 parts, I have also done a few upgrades to the frame and suspension. I wanted to enhance the ride quality without destroying the cars nimbleness for daily use.
I have added several braces to my roadster: FM frame rails (no BF brace) were installed first, which made some of the biggest improvement IMHO. I recommend them to anyone who wants their miata to just feel ‘tighter’.
Next was a Beatrush PPF brace. I cut up the rear factory brace that came on the 94-97’s, removing the center section so I could incorporate the two longer side pieces with the PPF brace. I have not experienced any of the additional noise that I have heard others associate with this brace after it was installed. Along with the PPF brace, I added a Carbing front brace, which joins the front sub frame and the transmission. It is intended to reduce the shake of the shifter and transmission. (Please note that some of the pics are from the net as I cannot get nice pictures with the car up on jack stands).
Currently I have a polished Hard Dog Hard Bar, but I want to swap it out for a as of yet undetermined four point roll bar design. I would like to install something that will compliment my roadsters current M2 1028 styling route.
Finally, the M2 strut bar and rear bulk head brace that I have acquired were finally added.

As far as suspensions upgrades - I have replaced the factory sway bars with Racing Beat front (tubular) and rear bars along with the RB end links and the RB heavy duty front sway bar brackets. I had originally installed 3-way adjustable Koni’s with the stock springs and enjoyed them for approximately 60,000 miles, but I wanted to replace them with something different. After some research, I went with a set of Öhlins PCV coilovers that I picked up through DDMWorks. I also installed a pair of 1993 LE out tie rod ends to correct any bump steer issues. The Öhlins ride quality and adjustability is just incredible.

Overall, I am quite pleased with what I have achieved in improved handling and ride quality without comprising the cars original handling characteristics.

etikoner
02-20-2012, 10:30 PM
I need me some Öhlins

vote4pedro
02-23-2012, 05:14 PM
I need me some Öhlins

So get'em.:twisted:

A lot of car owners want go fast performance mods/add ons.
I lik'em too, but I am more concernerd about having excellent handling and keeping the car planted on the road.

oldcafe
02-23-2012, 05:20 PM
mhh pedro, you need a pre '93 dashboard :ninja:

vote4pedro
02-23-2012, 06:36 PM
mhh pedro, you need a pre '93 dashboard :ninja:

I have one sitting in storage for now. :roll:

vote4pedro
03-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Looking for M2 parts is, and is not an easy task. Japanese car enthusiasts still hold the Mazda M2 models in very high regard, and prices for some parts remain quite high - even almost 20 years later. I was able to find some stuff here and there, but I wanted a M2 1028 trunk lid with the built in spoiler. To me, it is the Holy Grail of all the M2 1028 parts and the one which I could not attain; it was never within my reach, as I lost out on it on several occasions. So I decided to purchase a Murakami Motors 1028 FRP trunk lid through Metro Motor Sports (now out of business). It is an excellent quality repro alternative to the real thing – only it has the third brake light delete. The under lid detail is amazing and it weighs maybe 8 lbs.

I was only able to enjoy the Murakami repro piece for just a little bit more than six months.
DHL made a delivery on Friday July 27, 2007 at about 2 pm. My wife still shakes her head at me for remembering this particular date, and at my overall reaction with the box’s arrival. I was throwing my hands in the air and cheering “Trunk Lid!” like someone cheering the Japanese “Banzai!” This was a pretty momentous day for me and my project. As this was something that I had wanted (Since I saw it in the ’94 miata summer magazine) but thought I would NEVER actually have. One of the best “I want” that I ever experienced, second only to my Family. Inside the box was an original M2 1028 trunk lid in perfect condition. It only needed a re-paint before being added. The original 1028 trunk aluminum lid weighs in at 3.5 kg or 7.7 lb. After paint, I added a LED third brake light and quickly installed it. The M2 quality and fitment is perfectly spot on. When ever people notice it, they want to know if it is a factory trunk or a modified NB lid I put on. The subtle look that it adds is so choice:

morr
03-04-2012, 05:58 PM
The new lid looks great! Definitely a nice, subtle upgrade. I can kinda see why someone would think it's a modded NB trunklid, looks very similar.

Willywongka
03-05-2012, 06:05 AM
I could never get my Murakami trunk lid to fit perfectly... it always bothers me. Guess my only solution is to find myself a authentic M2-1028 trunk lid =).

vote4pedro
03-05-2012, 06:22 AM
I could never get my Murakami trunk lid to fit perfectly... it always bothers me. Guess my only solution is to find myself a authentic M2-1028 trunk lid =).

The ONLY prob I had with mine was the 'gap' was larger on the passenger's side quarter than the other side. If I stared at it, it would annoy me, but I learned to live with it.

Willywongka
03-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Yes.... that is exactly what I have a problem with right now. Since its FRP its harder to hold its shape when you put on the metal bars that hold the trunk lid up. I have learned to live with it as well.

Happy a genuine M2 trunk lid is in the right hands =).

vote4pedro
03-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Yes.... that is exactly what I have a problem with right now. Since its FRP its harder to hold its shape when you put on the metal bars that hold the trunk lid up. I have learned to live with it as well.

Ahhh. Try this: ONLY install a single torsion bar for the lid to raise. I only installed the one to the left (when facing trunk). It is a lot less tension on the FRP lid - aka will not cause it to bow. AND it will not flip up fast to possibly pop you in the chin.

[QUOTE=Happy a genuine M2 trunk lid is in the right hands =) [/QUOTE]
Thanks! It like a third child to me LOL.

Willywongka
03-05-2012, 09:14 PM
Ahhh. Try this: ONLY install a single torsion bar for the lid to raise. I only installed the one to the left (when facing trunk). It is a lot less tension on the FRP lid - aka will not cause it to bow. AND it will not flip up fast to possibly pop you in the chin.

Actually I only have one installed. Don't remember which side, pretty sure it was the left side. The passenger side of the trunk is up about 1/4 of an inch and there isn't any adjustment I can do from inside the cabin to alleviate that gap =/. Thanks for the tip btw =), if you have anymore please share.

vote4pedro
03-06-2012, 06:56 PM
Actually I only have one installed. Don't remember which side, pretty sure it was the left side. The passenger side of the trunk is up about 1/4 of an inch and there isn't any adjustment I can do from inside the cabin to alleviate that gap =/. Thanks for the tip btw =), if you have anymore please share.

I had considered taking off the lid and dremeling the 4 holes on the trunk hinges to add some lid adjustment to try fill in the passenger side quarter gap. It is something that I did not get around to attempting though.

etikoner
03-07-2012, 12:59 AM
I love the M2 trunk. I'd like to have that, or the Murakami one some day.

Do you plan on changing up the wheels any time? Details on the ones you have ? :)

Benbrg
03-07-2012, 02:58 AM
They look like panas. Similar to what naautoxer has.

vote4pedro
03-08-2012, 07:14 PM
I love the M2 trunk. I'd like to have that, or the Murakami one some day.

Do you plan on changing up the wheels any time? Details on the ones you have ? :)

If you get one, you will enjoy it.:)

The wheels are 14x6 watanabe RS-8's, a 2 piece design which are pretty similar to panasports. Old school look to them which I liked. I also have a set of '94 M edition 14x6 wheels (10 - 10.5 lbs. each) that I had powder coated gunmetal and polished lip - which is very similar to what 1028 models came with from the M2 factory. The eunos center caps I found new and painted to match the wheels, they also came on the 1028's. I am a stickler for details.

vote4pedro
03-09-2012, 06:52 PM
I had considered an air box made by a company named M&M out of Japan:

It is pretty similar to the 1028 intake, but I was not completely happy with the total look and construction of it. I decided to wait, and found an intact 1028 air cleaner assembly. When I took it apart to clean, I could see the way it was built – it was a tuned intake, not just an air filter popped in a housing. Ah, those M2 guys made decent stuff. After a good cleaning it looked like new. Clean up of the air cleaner did prove impractical, but I was able to locate a NOS Mazda part # K&N filter to complete the intake assembly.

Installation of the M2 intake was fairly easy as it mounts the MAF & black intake tube for 94-97 models in the stock location. I had to fabricate a single bracket and add a nut insert to the fender wall to install it. Fitment is great considering it was made for a RHD vehicle - there is just enough room by the brake cylinder/booster for snug, no problem fitment.

I also found an NOS 1028 oil cap, which is similar to the round polished aluminum M2 1001 oil cap – only it is powder coated a satin black. I then had the cam cover powder coated in wrinkle black to make it similar in appearance to those used on original 1028's. I also polished the front engine hook for the heck of it and liked the way it turned out.

modernbeat
03-14-2012, 09:38 PM
Get the engine hooks nickle plated after you polish them. For accuracy.

vote4pedro
03-18-2012, 11:30 AM
Get the engine hooks nickle plated after you polish them. For accuracy.

+1 on the nickel plating. It looks soo much nice than chroming. Only prob is that I would only have the single hook to plate, which could be expensive. I waxed the hook before I installed it, so that should help some.

revlimiter
03-18-2012, 01:16 PM
I also have a set of '94 M edition 14x6 wheels (10 - 10.5 lbs. each) that I had powder coated gunmetal and polished lip - which is very similar to what 1028 models came with from the M2 factory.

THAT'S IT!!! I'm gonna do this to my stock NA8 wheels. Been trying to figure out how to refinish them for years.

BTW, I love each and every update on this thread.

vote4pedro
03-19-2012, 06:09 PM
THAT'S IT!!! I'm gonna do this to my stock NA8 wheels. Been trying to figure out how to refinish them for years.

BTW, I love each and every update on this thread.

Here is a pick of one after I picked them up. Would look nice on a blue NA or NB.
Not quite as nice as your current set up though...

vote4pedro
08-11-2012, 05:31 PM
I like the original 1028 door pulls I am using, but they look unfinished to me.
Just a black screw holding them in place. A satin black Philips head screw to be exact.

I cannot take credit for this mod, but it will make the door look complete.
I picked up some Porsche door pulls & rosettes. More when I have finished.

roadsternut
08-13-2012, 02:34 PM
M2-Inc also supplied 14" Panasports; note the raised casting details.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n109/saz9961/MX5OC%20Rally%202011%20at%20Billing/billing2011111x.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n109/saz9961/MX5OC%20Rally%202011%20at%20Billing/billing2011112x.jpg

tsingson
08-13-2012, 02:36 PM
I have always loved the panasport look. Keep up the great work!

iRoadster
08-13-2012, 03:55 PM
V4P, you are definitely on my list of "favorite Miata builders evvvar."

atlnb
08-13-2012, 07:06 PM
very cool stuff here

etikoner
08-16-2012, 01:34 AM
Love this

moar updates!

Find me a set of cool door pulls for the 95 please <3

vote4pedro
03-09-2013, 12:03 PM
Just dusting off the thread for spring

vote4pedro
05-05-2013, 10:25 AM
I finally took delivery of mine on April 10th. (I had posted a pic, but the hacking came not too long after, so the post vanished). Phat and I had special ordered these last year from GHO and we got them here thanks to Sean Shokouh ~ JDMPalace. M2 1001 fascia. Nice:

A little background for the GHO bumper purchase…
For the past two and a half years (wow, that long), I have not been able to really do anything build wise, due to family obligations and work related projects.

So, since I was unable to physically work on my miata, I chose to pick up what parts I had concluded were needed to "finish" my build making things a bit easier when I did finally have the time. As I picked up what parts I had wanted to complete my version of a M2 1028 roadster; stashing away a dash, some seats, and various details items, I soon realized that I had together all the parts I had basically wanted to add.

At that point in time, I started pondering and decided to start a second NA build about 24 months ago. But this time in reverse - getting together what parts I figured I would want to include in the build first. After having gotten together some Japanese roadster items, I figured the GHO 1001 front bumper just might tie in with things nicely.

So, here are some parts that I have been busy getting together for a second build. Somehow, I think I tend to have a limited roadster vision:

Now back to our regularly scheduled M2 1028 influenced build…

Grip Driver
05-05-2013, 10:43 AM
speechless...

etikoner
05-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Wow. That's a nice collection of parts lol

Vegard
05-05-2013, 03:02 PM
Oooooooooh la la! The fuel lid, it's so pretty, post some close ups!

The rest of the parts them selfs are uber nice as well. Insane.

riefdaddy
05-05-2013, 04:07 PM
Here is a link to a source for home nickel plating. This stuff works great and the nickel finish (how shiny) just depends on how well polished the piece is you want to plate. If you hit the piece with a soft wire brush you get a brushed nickel finish and a high polished piece that is plated will look almost like chrome. I will warn you that once you start nickel plating things you will find it difficult to stop. I need to get a kit myself for the Miata. I had a kit for my 52 Chevy and I plated anything that I wanted to keep nice.

http://www.caswellplating.com/electroplating-anodizing/nickel-plating-kits/electroless-nickel-plating-kits.html

atank
05-05-2013, 04:38 PM
Oh man Love those goodies!!!

vote4pedro
05-05-2013, 06:58 PM
Oooooooooh la la! The fuel lid, it's so pretty, post some close ups!

The rest of the parts them selfs are uber nice as well. Insane.

original 1001 fuel lid. just needs a little elbow grease and new pop rivets.

vote4pedro
05-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Here is a link to a source for home nickel plating. This stuff works great and the nickel finish (how shiny) just depends on how well polished the piece is you want to plate. If you hit the piece with a soft wire brush you get a brushed nickel finish and a high polished piece that is plated will look almost like chrome. I will warn you that once you start nickel plating things you will find it difficult to stop. I need to get a kit myself for the Miata. I had a kit for my 52 Chevy and I plated anything that I wanted to keep nice.

http://www.caswellplating.com/electroplating-anodizing/nickel-plating-kits/electroless-nickel-plating-kits.html

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am plan on polishing everything up. Polished aluminum was part of the M2 1001 "look".

Hyper
05-09-2013, 10:44 AM
The ONLY prob I had with mine was the 'gap' was larger on the passenger's side quarter than the other side. If I stared at it, it would annoy me, but I learned to live with it.

I also owned a murakami trunk lid the way around it is to remove the tension bars in the trunk and problem solved. voted 5 stars on this thread one of my favorite!

Phatmiata
05-09-2013, 02:54 PM
someday when the kids are a little older we might be able to finish these Miatas eh? :teehee:

I know you have a lot more parts stashed than what you are showing BTW. :whistle:

Willywongka
05-11-2013, 04:22 AM

I had the same problem with mine actually.

I also owned a murakami trunk lid the way around it is to remove the tension bars in the trunk and problem solved. voted 5 stars on this thread one of my favorite!

The fitment of my Murakami trunk didn't fit good at all when first installed it. I don't know how many countless hours I spent on trying to get it to fit better by removing 1 tensioner or both, adjusting the trunk lock hinge, flipping it backwards, etc! Nothing I did could ever get it to sit even close to flush, so I just concluded that the trunk was the problem.

Not until I had to get some body work done on my car did they find out that one side of my car was actually tweaked, which caused fitment issues for both the the trunk lid and GV tail lights. So after the shop straightened out the tweaked area, the Murakami trunk fits VERY VERY close to perfect with BOTH tensioners installed.

morr
05-11-2013, 07:56 AM
I love this build. I'll definitely be referencing it for my NA.

vote4pedro
05-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Hyper & Willywongka - nice you both were able to solve the Murakami trunk lid gap issue. I guess I took the easy way out.

vote4pedro
05-11-2013, 09:27 PM
someday when the kids are a little older we might be able to finish these Miatas eh? :teehee:

I know you have a lot more parts stashed than what you are showing BTW. :whistle:

They kids are practicing how to turn a wrench daily, so they can do the work for me.
I think your JDM Warehouse outshines anything I may have laying around.

Willywongka
05-12-2013, 02:16 AM
Hyper & Willywongka - nice you both were able to solve the Murakami trunk lid gap issue. I guess I took the easy way out.

More like the 'BEST' way out =).

Flyin 92
05-12-2013, 06:41 AM
Pedro, clean out your inbox. I has fancy stuffs to show you.

vote4pedro
02-01-2014, 05:56 PM
I recently saw a eunos mug post, and it made me think of my mug:

Dandy
02-01-2014, 07:54 PM
Now that's how to get your M2 fix everyday.

etikoner
02-02-2014, 07:14 PM
I bumped your thread in the other forum. I'm glad you also have a thread here so I can also bump it!

vote4pedro
05-10-2014, 02:47 PM
Well, took the door panels off today, to try to do a little upgrade to them. They look unfinished, and the panel skin and padding look well, crappê.
I took them off and turned them over to look at the backs where my door pulls were attached and a catastrophe was seen. :shock:
The fiber board is all sunken and cracked - pretty bad, on both sides. Really flexible now. I am not sure what I can do about this now. Going to have to see if I can follow through with my door pull mod. :(

CMP
05-10-2014, 03:01 PM
There's a fellow on Miata.net that will make you ABS door cards for roughly $80 shipped. I love mine.

vote4pedro
05-10-2014, 03:21 PM
There's a fellow on Miata.net that will make you ABS door cards for roughly $80 shipped. I love mine.
I have to see what I can do here first, but I appreciate the info. Got a name or any other info?

CMP
05-10-2014, 06:41 PM
His name is Jim Marazita. I'll PM you his contact info since I'm sure he doesn't want it posted.

Phatmiata
05-10-2014, 07:16 PM

Pretty sure Rick at www.RoadsterTech.net has made these before for some of out local miata owners, give him a Jingle too!

brontosaurus
05-10-2014, 07:53 PM
Hey dude, any ideas on installing the pedals? I think I'm going to use the Eunos set I have as well. Take off the rubber mats and drill away I suppose? I think I'm going to use the M2 ebrake handle and shift knob as well, although my knob needs a fair bit of polishing before I'll consider it usable >.<

vote4pedro
05-10-2014, 07:56 PM
Hey dude, any ideas on installing the pedals? I think I'm going to use the Eunos set I have as well. Take off the rubber mats and drill away I suppose? I think I'm going to use the OEM ebrake handle and shift knob as well.
Yes, pop off the rubber 'pedal tread', and drill the holes to mount them. Pretty easy to do, even easier if you remove the seat.

RoadsterTech
05-11-2014, 11:34 AM
Pretty sure Rick at www.RoadsterTech.net has made these before for some of out local miata owners, give him a Jingle too!
Actually we are! The big difference ours won't be ABS. ABS has a hard feel. Not at all comfortable in a car. We will be using the same material we use in our gauge plates, HDPE. Our HDPE panels are also chemically resistant to UV. This material lasts for years in the marine environment. Another plus... Our mounting holes will match up to your door. Many of our competitors put the mounting holes anywhere and require you to drill new holes. That's not acceptable. The prototype will be done soon!

vote4pedro
05-20-2014, 06:32 PM
played with these the other day. Using over sized washers helped dramatically with the flex n' cracks. More pics when they are completed.

vote4pedro
06-08-2014, 10:18 AM
The original tan door tops that I have been using did not seem to work with the rest of the door panel - with the new black trim pieces boldly sticking out in the middle of the panel. So, I brought a pair of beaten up door tops to a local upholsterer (http://www.tomsnothere.com - Rodger Pisani is excellent to deal and his shop does top notch work). The tops were recovered in black vinyl with some stitching added. Now the door tops really balance out the overall appearance of the door cards making them look even more finished now. They almost look like they came this way from Mazda, IMHO.

horribleR
06-08-2014, 10:55 AM
nice :3:

etikoner
06-11-2014, 08:56 AM
That embroidery work is nice. I REALLY love the tan top look, but I think it'd only go well with a fully tan dashboard. lol

Your car's interior is so damn nice!

Hyper
08-28-2014, 09:12 AM
This car is so awesome. Oh Lord!

vote4pedro
10-26-2014, 05:43 PM
I had a bit of time to get things started on the interior. It was a bear taking out a few seats bolts, and dealing with some inconvenient alarm system wiring.

revlimiter
10-27-2014, 02:06 PM
^ NICE! Nothing like tearing out dashboards in your spare time.

Phatmiata
10-27-2014, 02:48 PM
which miata build is this one? the 1001 or the 1028? :whistle:

vote4pedro
10-27-2014, 04:46 PM
which miata build is this one? the 1001 or the 1028? :whistle:

1028 silly.

vote4pedro
04-18-2015, 09:15 PM
I took advantage of the beautiful weather today to refinish the M2 1028 console that I have. It was originally covered in sticky black paint, similar to the NA6 dash tops. I had to strip it, and fill in some divots around the vents holes (someone previously tried to pry out the vents with a small screw driver). I sprayed it with SEM satin black. I could not be happier with the results. Undecided about putting the original shift pattern decal on the lower right corner, like it came from M2.

modernbeat
04-19-2015, 12:05 AM
If you are going to use a shift knob with the pattern, skip the sticker. Otherwise, I'd use the sticker. That's how they came from Mazda.

Vegard
04-19-2015, 06:22 AM
The finish looks spot on!

Grip Driver
04-19-2015, 01:14 PM
indeed, looks as good as new or better

revlimiter
04-19-2015, 03:21 PM
Put the shift pattern in the lower LEFT if you're doing a LHD car. =)

vote4pedro
04-19-2015, 04:34 PM
not a bad idea, but too late...
(added my home made toggles too)

modernbeat
04-20-2015, 12:24 AM

Even LHD cars had the sticker on the right side. Here you can see the original sticker on the original console of my '92 SE. This car came with the Nardi wood shift knob, so it got the sticker.

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv198/aaa-111/blackcubed/SNC11766.jpg

vote4pedro
05-03-2015, 06:11 PM
Once again I am taking advantage of some down time.
I painted an AWD stainless gauge cover panel with black wrinkle paint.
I then test fit Adam's (Revlimiter's) gauge lenses into my RS Refine gauge rings, and then put everything together. I like the results.
I have not had time to fit things to my gauge cluster, but I am hoping it will all gel nicely.

Phatmiata
05-03-2015, 06:45 PM
very 1028 ish, looks great!

vote4pedro
05-03-2015, 07:47 PM
very 1028 ish, looks great!
Technically, a 1028 is supposed to have a standard cover panel, but since the 1001 and 1002 models have gauge rings, I figure it does not stray too far from my original theme's intentions.

revlimiter
05-03-2015, 09:18 PM
It really does look fantastic. Well done sir!

Bruce
05-03-2015, 11:12 PM
Looks terrific.

Has a classic 911 vibe to it.

MikeA
05-04-2015, 02:53 AM
That's outstanding work. Have you considered a 1028 cluster or do you prefer the 1001/2 look? Any chance of a close up of the finish you got on the gauge cover panel?

vote4pedro
05-04-2015, 06:57 PM
That's outstanding work. Have you considered a 1028 cluster or do you prefer the 1001/2 look? Any chance of a close up of the finish you got on the gauge cover panel?

I like all models from M2 Inc.
I have a set of M2 1028 gauges that I collaborated with Adam (revlimiter) in designing in MPH. My review of them is here:
http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?10718-M2-1028-gauge-review

close up of the awd gauge panel. It is a phone pic, but still gives an idea of how it turned out - very similar to what is on the M2 1001 center console.

etikoner
05-05-2015, 05:46 AM
In 1994 I wanted a new car. I was finally down to 2 cars that I liked. I was torn between a miata and the newly re-designed 1994 mustang convertible. I wanted a convertible, but what I really liked was that both were being offered with a removable hard top. What finally swayed me to the miata was the newly adopted 1.8 engine platform and the news from Ford that the optional hard top for the new convertible Mustang was scrapped due to cost, weight, etc.

I wonder how badass USDM your mustang would be if you would've gotten it... lol

vote4pedro
04-27-2016, 03:49 PM
contemplation...

Dandy
04-27-2016, 08:13 PM
what are you contemplating v4p?

vote4pedro
04-30-2016, 01:50 PM
what are you contemplating v4p?

hard to definitely say, but the little gears in my brains have started to spin again.

oldgrayleather
04-30-2016, 02:45 PM
hard to definitely say, but the little gears in my brains have started to spin again.

Can't wait to see what you think up next! Loved discovering this thread when you updated it earlier in the week.

Dandy
04-30-2016, 03:16 PM

ahh Spring . . . the birds are chirping, the flowers are blooming, and the gears get churning

freedomgli
03-24-2017, 09:48 AM
Bump for updates

NCGreasemonkey
03-24-2017, 06:14 PM
Has the car come south, yet?

vote4pedro
05-03-2018, 03:33 PM
I took advantage of three days off and no humidity weather to get some interior stuff finally done.
I disliked the three tone tan that my NA6 conversion was looking like. So I sprayed some parts and the dash itself (an hour and a half of taping everything off, and 20 minutes to paint it).

vote4pedro
05-03-2018, 03:35 PM
I had mocked up what I had wanted to do with my gauges almost three years ago now. I used an AWD stainless panel, RS Refine black anodized gauge rings, and RevLimiter lenses.

I had the panel professionally powder-coated in crinkle/wrinkle black by http://trgcoating.com/. I also used smaller button head Allen machine screws on it as opposed to the larger cap screws that it came with. The AWD panel now speaks for itself.

The RS Refine large gauge rings have a lip in them that actually fits over the stock dinky stainless trim rings, so I used the OEM trim rings, which helped align those big rings better.

Adam’s site post: http://revlimiter.net/mods/g5-ring_install.php proved super helpful, but due to my Type A personality, I spent way more than 45 minutes cleaning the lenses and checking things before the final install. Silicone is great to use for putting the lenses and gauge rings in, but proved to be a true annoyance when it came to make things aesthetically pleasing.

oldgrayleather
05-03-2018, 03:39 PM
Congrats, absolutely stunning! Are the tach and speedo calibrated differently than stock (7k and 140mph look to be further on than my clusters)?

I am not looking forward to the silicone work with getting my RevLimiter lenses into my new AWD cluster.

Demon I Am
05-03-2018, 03:58 PM
I love the texture

vote4pedro
05-03-2018, 04:19 PM
Congrats, absolutely stunning! Are the tach and speedo calibrated differently than stock (7k and 140mph look to be further on than my clusters)?

I am not looking forward to the silicone work with getting my RevLimiter lenses into my new AWD cluster.

I was short on time and had Adam do the gauges and replace the center panel of idiot lights for me. The speedo is spot on, so if was re-calibrated,, hats off to Adam.

HarryB
05-03-2018, 04:25 PM
Had this picture of your panel in my inspiration folder god knows for how long; really glad I also found the build thread too. Eager to see more!

Greasemonkey2000
05-03-2018, 05:05 PM
Wow the gauge cluster looks incredible!! :frantic::slayer:

Phatmiata
05-04-2018, 09:46 AM
its about time you updated your progress!!!!

Looks great !!

vote4pedro
05-28-2018, 05:33 PM
My goodness, it is starting to get tight in here.
What to do, what to do....

oldgrayleather
05-28-2018, 05:44 PM
My goodness, it is starting to get tight in here.
What to do, what to do....

Hmmmm, wonder what’s in them boxes? I'm guessing enough parts to start your M2 1001 tribute? :)

MLambert19
05-29-2018, 07:15 AM
You found a second car! Details, please!

-Matt

vote4pedro
05-29-2018, 07:22 PM
Hmmmm, wonder what’s in them boxes? I'm guessing enough parts to start your M2 1001 tribute? :)

Boxes to the left has new OEM miata parts and 1028 parts.
Long box has assorted door cards in it, with more miata parts on top of it.

vote4pedro
05-29-2018, 07:24 PM
You found a second car! Details, please!

-Matt

Later. I still have to sort through it and see what it may need mechanically besides plugs and wires...

vote4pedro
06-03-2018, 03:45 PM
I picked these up from Murakami Motors sometime ago and finally got to putting them together and in.
Deep blue Vitaloni Sebring mirrors AND aluminum mirror backs.
No more dealing with the brittle plastic Vitaloni original mirror backs.

oldgrayleather
06-03-2018, 03:50 PM
I picked these up from Murakami Motors sometime ago and finally got to putting them together and in.
Deep blue Vitaloni Sebring mirrors AND aluminum mirror backs.
No more dealing with the brittle plastic mirror Vitaloni original mirror backs.

Amazing!!!!

vote4pedro
07-08-2018, 03:19 PM
I had some time today to actually wash instead of work on my miata.
The interior is almost done now, so I decided to let the roadster get some much needed fresh air.
I have a set of G7 Panasports that I mounted recently (15 x 7 et 30). I have always liked the way they looked after seeing Phat's white n' red with a set of them waaay back when.
When I saw these with the gun metal spokes on them, they just felt like what I wanted.
I also put some 15 mm wheel spacers on the rear. It made the stance a bit nicer - to me anyway.
I know, spacers. I have read the good, the terrible and the ridiculous about them.

MLambert19
07-08-2018, 04:09 PM
Need more details and interior photos!

vote4pedro
07-10-2018, 04:23 PM
Need more details and interior photos!

I will, BUT I still have to figure out on what I need to put in, and how to actually install some of it. :roll:

oldgrayleather
07-10-2018, 05:11 PM
:popcorn:

vote4pedro
07-14-2018, 03:41 PM
Barchetta / Hayashi Tail Lights

I dug them out the other day and then cleaned them up. The red and yellow lenses were all dulled out for some reason. From storage? Got me.

They look better than my previous post pic with the OEM units and go well with my trunk lid and 1028 badge.
The MAZDA plate I got from Randy a few years back. I wish I could use it all the time.

Phatmiata
07-14-2018, 05:01 PM
I need to talk with that guy in Japan that I got all those books and stickers from, I think I got the vintage Mazda plates from him too, that was more than a few years ago brother, LOL

you have lotus seats now?

vote4pedro
07-15-2018, 07:44 PM
I need to talk with that guy in Japan that I got all those books and stickers from, I think I got the vintage Mazda plates from him too, that was more than a few years ago brother, LOL

you have lotus seats now?

Another GB of stuff would be great!

Elise on flip sides for now.
I have others that I may use too.

Ihatecars
07-15-2018, 08:28 PM
You're roadster is looking absolutely awesome! Great job.

MaRcOp01o
01-18-2019, 10:27 AM
UPDATEEEEEEEEEE pretty please:D

Paul B
01-19-2019, 12:21 AM
love those lights!!

Phatmiata
01-19-2019, 08:37 AM
Those Panasport wheels though .......... :bow:

edizluv
01-19-2019, 10:02 AM
Wow that trunk lid <3

Grip Driver
01-19-2019, 10:14 AM
Excellent! Very few roadsters as well thought out and put together as this one.

vote4pedro
01-19-2019, 04:18 PM
UPDATEEEEEEEEEE pretty please:D

a few parts to put on, But I am waiting on somethings I ordered (one box came already) and the weather to get a bit warmer. I will have a better update then.

I have some carbon vitaloni mirror shells to add, as well as some new door plastics to replace my sagging and torn ones...

oldgrayleather
07-11-2019, 01:30 AM
I just re-read this thread from the beginning. I think it's my third or perhaps fourth time through it all. Thanks for all the inspiration Joel. Still amazes me just like the first time.

vote4pedro
07-11-2019, 05:48 PM
I just re-read this thread from the beginning. I think it's my third or perhaps fourth time through it all. Thanks for all the inspiration Joel. Still amazes me just like the first time.

Thanks for the kind words sir. I am glad that I can share a bit that may cause someone to possibly have an epiphany (like I did). Making a roadster that is truly self inspired is a self accomplishment to enjoy out on the road alone or with a companion. I think all of us on MR know that all too well.

etikoner
07-15-2019, 10:40 AM
This car needs a proper photoshoot and write up.. Its so awesome.

vote4pedro
07-15-2019, 02:31 PM
This car needs a proper photoshoot and write up.. Its so awesome.

That's funny as my son and I just got back from the car wash. I was sick of looking at all the dusty and dirt on her.
The car needs a good retailing once I have the time to finish the interior, and then hopefully a pic or two. There's stuff that I need to work in, all I need is a bit (or a lot because I am anal) of time.

I have done a few things though. I flocked up the glove box and added a black trim piece to it. Messy process, but it turned out well:

vote4pedro
07-15-2019, 02:33 PM
I also added a rear brace that is supposed to box the rear frame. Does not seem to make a difference to me, but added a few pounds to the roadster.
(2nd pic obviously not my miata. My new exhaust and muffler are polished and all you saw was my orange shirt and ashy elbow in the pic which drew all attention away from the brace installed.

vote4pedro
07-15-2019, 02:38 PM
I am also thinking of playing around with the door pulls on the doors (again) lol
Something using the 1028 door pulls this time, not porsche.

Greasemonkey2000
07-18-2019, 10:32 PM
On the rear "tow hook" brace....you may not feel the difference but based on the video Ken Auto did using the string to show the flex...I am sure it made a difference. Of course I am a chassis brace nut. :frantic:

vote4pedro
03-27-2021, 09:24 PM
Man, it has been sometime since I have posted.
Being someone who works in the Health Care Field has sadly been a full plate of bedlam with a side order of stress for most of 2020 and some of 2021...

Last April oldgrayleather won a set of Body Shop Hayashi headlights.
His win got me motivated, so I made my way into my storage. l too had picked up a set of those headlights, but I had just simply squirreled them away. Since Peter’s auction win, l started methodically going through the process of refreshing my set whenever l had some spare time, while also sharing what knowledge I could with Peter to give him an idea what to expect when he gets to installing his. I was finally at the point where they could have been installed in the end of 2020. BUT l decided to wait until 2021 to try to start this year a wee bit better than most of 2020 actually was.

I had given her a bath before going out to take some pictures earlier tonight, but the roadster was immediately tinted by the overwhelming pollen here. So the pictures are just so-so. :(

They really do transform the NA’s appearance. Family has given thumbs up to them liking how they look and especially how they operate. A giggle followed by ‘cool’ was the consensus when they popped up.

oldgrayleather
03-27-2021, 09:30 PM
This post makes me so incredibly happy! And motivated!! I can’t thank you enough for all the tips and info and pictures and, and, and...

You did an exceptional job of bringing your set back to life. Love seeing a quirky part of the roadster’s early tuning history be restored and so very well preserved! Congrats again!!

Here’s to a much better 2021 and thanks for being a front line worker. Can’t imagine a harder or more stressful job over the last year.

Greasemonkey2000
03-27-2021, 10:36 PM
I've never seen these before, I like them but question...do they have better light throw/pattern when popped up or?

druz
03-28-2021, 07:28 AM
Spread the motivation. Looks amazing.

freedomgli
03-28-2021, 09:04 AM
Man, it has been sometime since I have posted.
Being someone who works in the Health Care Field has sadly been a full plate of bedlam with a side order of stress for most of 2020 and some of 2021.

Thank you to all health care workers, epidemiologists, public health officials, first responders and the many scientists and volunteers that have cared for the sick and dying, contributed to our understanding of Covid-19, and to the development and availability of a vaccine. And also to all the front line workers who sacrificed to help us get through these tough times. We are eternally grateful for your service to others.

freedomgli
03-28-2021, 09:11 AM
I've never seen these before, I like them but question...do they have better light throw/pattern when popped up or?

The problem with most low profile headlamps is the front bumper cuts off the beam pattern, creating a big shadow directly in front of you. So most low profile lamps are a compromise for looks and provide bare minimum performance. The Jet Stream headlamps solve this problem with a deeper headlamp bucket that cuts into the front bumper. The Body Shop Hyashi lights solve this problem by raising them up above the bumper.

Greasemonkey2000
03-28-2021, 06:04 PM
@freedomgli: That's what I thought. Thanks for the information Kyle!

vote4pedro
03-28-2021, 09:15 PM
Kyle has is right. I have not had a chance to drive at night yet, but I will post when I have done so. I upgraded the bulbs so I am wanting to see how they work.

Peter and Druz, let me know anything that I can do. :)

oldgrayleather
03-29-2021, 01:09 AM
Peter and Druz, let me know anything that I can do. :)

:bow::bow::bow:

HarryB
03-29-2021, 02:06 AM
The Hayashis are amazing; they look cool when down, but I really appreciate the thought/engineering behind their pop up function, which contributes in their coolness IMO.

And thanks for your service; having family members and close friends working in the health sector I know first hand how stressful this last year has been. Stay safe!

Phatmiata
03-29-2021, 05:31 PM
I’ve been getting sneak peeks of these for a while, very happy to finally see them installed. Now I need to get off my bum and start working on my miata again. Thank you for the motivation, I think ? Hahaha

vote4pedro
03-29-2021, 07:15 PM
I’ve been getting sneak peeks of these for a while, very happy to finally see them installed. Now I need to get off my bum and start working on my miata again. Thank you for the motivation, I think ? Hahaha

What? You got sneak peeks? Uhm, well, yeah.

vote4pedro
04-10-2021, 06:10 PM
First some past thoughts...

vote4pedro
04-10-2021, 06:13 PM
I have seen a number of posts on the Hayashi headlamps. Up, down, and a few videos of them in-action - Thanks to Greg G. :) But l have never actually seen them “on”, well on at night anyway. So last week I wanted to test out the bulbs that I have added to them (Philips Crystal Vision ultra for the LO's and Osram Night Breaker Laser for the HI's).

In the past, I had read several posts that had talked of how poor to terrible the light output for the headlamps were. One post that I vividly remember reading even mentioned that Jack Hayashi himself dismissed the light illumination generated as being terrible. To my pleasant surprise, the output is actually pretty decent; the” hip-up” design is what obviously makes the difference with these. I do need to adjust them some for LHD though. I also have OEM fog lights installed but I need to finish wiring them completely (I hit a snag here since I want to use the fog light and rear defroster double switch). I think the projector fogs should work well with the Haysahi’s.

vote4pedro
11-30-2022, 10:11 AM
Had a few badges produced. Since Peter and I both have the Hayashi Headlights and Tail Lights. I had searched the internet on and off for a Body Shop Hayashi Badge for a while, but since the searches proved fruitless, I decided to try and have one produced from a couple of images that I had found on the internet. We are both quite pleased with the results. (top image is what I had found on the net, bottom is what was eventually re-produced).

vote4pedro
11-30-2022, 10:33 AM
Since the Body Shop Hasashi badges were so outstanding, I decided to pursue an M2 badge based on the M2 1001 and 1028 badges. The only difference was adding an "R" to them both - this is not an original idea of mine, but based on an M2 1028 owner in Japan who had had an "M2 1028R" badge designed. So I went through the process of scanning and measuring the original badges to try and achieve some thing with a almost authentic look to original M2 Incorporated badges. The original badges are made on sheet aluminum (open to corrosion). So I wanted to have the "R" types produced on stainless steel for durability. Unfortunately, the laser used for engraving them kept burning the stainless, so titanium was used instead. The results are M2 Incorporated "R" badges made of a durable high performance material.