PDA

View Full Version : Used MSM Motor Opportunity: Question About Alternator Mount

MLambert19
12-02-2016, 03:49 PM
There's a low (25k) mileage MSM motor from a wrecked car within striking distance for me. The price seems reasonable ($1500), but with a caveat:

The lower alternator mounting point is broken off. I'm being told it would likely be possible to cut this piece off another junk block and weld a couple inches to re-affix.

I know, without pictures (I should ask him to take some, the motor is already pulled) it's probably hard to determine exactly how bad a break we're talking about or if a repair is as "easy" or even possible, as is being suggested.

Thoughts?

Thanks, -Matt

RotorNutFD3S
12-02-2016, 04:00 PM
That mount is made up of a part of the block and the oil pump housing, so it's two separate items that are damaged. I'd be concerned about how it broke (possible impact?) as that could have damaged other things close by, like the oil pump gears, relief valve, or further damage to the block (cracking).

Phatmiata
12-02-2016, 05:20 PM
there was one here for $1000, but someone else beat me to it. :fp:

kung fu jesus
12-03-2016, 09:41 PM
Rotor has the same concerns I would. That is a stout piece, the mount, to break. Here's what it looks like on my engine:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161204/2b9c6c0fcbe0679ea7b88c08445cc4cc.jpg

It's the empty through hole to the left of the pulley, the aluminum part. The black piece behind it is the block casting. That hole is the pivot point for the bottom of the alternator. If those broke, that engine took a helluva hit. Are you sure the upper steel bracket that bolts to the side of the block isn't the broken piece?

If it is this lower portion, in short, yes, it can be repaired. I wouldn't trust it at all. You would be welding a cast iron piece. No bueno.

If the aluminum part broke, you should just replace the whole oil pump. To get the oil pump off, you have to remove the oil pan. At that point, to me, it's not worth it without tearing the block down to rebuild it. That's just me though. If just the aluminum casting broke, you might be fine just replacing the oil pump, resealing the pan. ~$200 with a pump and seals.

You could use a different short block and swap over everything else. Essentially, you get an MSM engine minus the block. Some internals may transfer if they are good.

NCGreasemonkey
12-03-2016, 10:10 PM
You also have to remember that the internals felt that jolt! Thrust bearings, rod to crank clearances, oil pump gears...

MLambert19
12-05-2016, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the input everyone! If I find myself nearby, maybe I'll take a good hard look and determine whether it's worth the gamble. I could buy a low mileage '99-2000 engine with similar mileage for the same money, or less.

This is a long-term purchase anyway, I'm hoping my 1.6 has many healthy miles left to go, even with boost.

kung fu jesus
12-05-2016, 06:39 PM
Well-planned, rebuilt 1.6 will cost as much as that unknown MSM.