PDA

View Full Version : LED Mazda MX-5 Miata Rear Turn Signal Light Bulb Replacements?

johnfett
01-10-2017, 04:03 PM
Hi guys,

I noticed most of the new cars come with LED lights so I wanted to upgrade my lights on my tiny Miata for better nighttime visibility. Is there a vendor on here that sells LED light upgrades?

Also what are the part numbers for the Miata Brake Lights, Miata Turn Signals, etc.

For you guys that have some already please post up what you are using and if they are any good or not.

Thanks in advance!

Phatmiata
01-10-2017, 04:07 PM
Hammerhead has a really bright setup on his Tail lights

paging Hammerhead ......................

Phatmiata
01-10-2017, 04:25 PM
found this on the interwebs, most of this is for NA Miata (1989 ~ 1997) but most should be the same

High and Low Beam Headlamp Light Bulb Size: H6024
Parking Light Bulb Size: 1157A
Front Turn Signal Light Bulb Size: 1157A
Rear Turn Signal Light Bulb Size: 1156
Tail Light Bulb Size: 1157
Stop Light Bulb Size: 1157
High Mount Stop Light Bulb Size: 921
License Plate Light Bulb Size: 89
Back Up Light Bulb Size: 1156
Front Side Marker Light Bulb Size: 194
Rear Side Marker Light Bulb Size: 1157 or 194
Glove Box Light Bulb Size: 194
Step/Courtesy Light Bulb Size: DE3022
Trunk/Cargo Area Light Bulb Size: 168
Instrument-General Light Bulb Size: 194 or 74
Hi-Beam Indicator Light Bulb Size: 194

kung fu jesus
01-10-2017, 05:52 PM
Small caveat, some don't run the same resistance as incandescent bulbs. It can play a few tricks on your circuits. The LED turn signals I installed gave me the 'ricer flash', a really fast blinker. I pulled the flasher relay and had to solder in a heavier resistor, which wasn't to bad. Some also say LED brake lights can throw off the cruise control circuit, not letting it work.

NCGreasemonkey
01-10-2017, 09:40 PM
KFJ is correct.

And there are some LED compatible flashers you can get that are plug and play.

But just do the resister so if you ever want to sell it back as a stock you cut the resister and reinstall the regular bulbs.

Wally-world is your friend for low cost change. Recommend the white dome 194's over the faceted.

If you want online shopping. https://www.superbrightleds.com/ .

Phatmiata
01-11-2017, 08:27 AM
but who uses cruise control on a Miata ........ really? hahhahaa

kung fu jesus
01-11-2017, 09:35 AM
< this guy does.

The NA flasher module resistor change is about a 30-60 minute job from start to end. The resistors are cheap, pennies for a pack of them. I used to modify them on request at Woolery tech days.

Hammerhead
01-12-2017, 08:34 PM
KFJ is correct.

And there are some LED compatible flashers you can get that are plug and play.

But just do the resister so if you ever want to sell it back as a stock you cut the resister and reinstall the regular bulbs.

Wally-world is your friend for low cost change. Recommend the white dome 194's over the faceted.

If you want online shopping. https://www.superbrightleds.com/ .

I recommend this site as well. I have their highest lumen output 1156 and 1157 bulbs in the Porter cab tail lamps of my KGW rear panel. I also used LED equivalent (for the 90-series IIRC) for my JDM fender side markers.

RustRat
01-13-2017, 04:31 AM
Recommended from me too. They came half way across the world really fast, the quality was really good and the light output if my reverse lights feels like 10x better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk