PDA

View Full Version : Re-use valve shims?

kevinharrop
09-27-2017, 08:44 PM
So I have a 2000 coming my way, and I am pretty sure the valves need to be adjusted, just guessing.

I think the shims are $10 each, but I won't swear to that. 16 shims is $160, ouch.

If it happens that one or more of the shims being pulled out are happily the correct size for a different valve, can I reuse them or will that wipe the lobe?

Jerry L
09-28-2017, 05:07 AM
I don't know about the Miata engine, but in the motorcycle world I'm pretty sure they re-use shims when doing valves. I mean, it's not like a tub of cream cheese that got green fuzz on it in the back of the fridge, right? It is just a slug of metal with a precise thickness... unless I'm missing something. Unless it has obvious scoring or other visible damage, you should be able to re-use it.

Good luck!

kevinharrop
09-28-2017, 10:56 AM
I don't know about the Miata engine, but in the motorcycle world I'm pretty sure they re-use shims when doing valves. I mean, it's not like a tub of cream cheese that got green fuzz on it in the back of the fridge, right? It is just a slug of metal with a precise thickness... unless I'm missing something. Unless it has obvious scoring or other visible damage, you should be able to re-use it.

Good luck!

When one rebuilds a motor one keeps all the components, push rods, rocker arms, etc, in order such that one can put them back from whence they came. Apparently the components make micro scratches on each other and if changed around they will damage each other.

I just don't know if that applies to shims and cam lobes. Both are hardened to a farethewell, you would think.