PDA

View Full Version : Remote radar detectors

Agent☣Orange
02-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Let's see your remote radar detector installations!

Also, I'm in the process of installing mine and was just curious if the main antenna could be placed behind the front bumper instead of in the mouth. I mean, the plastic bumper cover shouldn't impede radar signals would it?

f86sabjf
02-15-2012, 08:16 PM
I dont know Yata as mines just a windshield version but these folks will be able to answer your ????'sss . I 've been a member for years over there.

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/

f86sabjf
02-15-2012, 08:25 PM
There are even some groups in Fla that set up test days with there own private guns. Yeah there serious about it!!!!

Agent☣Orange
02-15-2012, 08:56 PM
Damn! They're into radar detectors like we're into Miatas, haha. TMI. I guess it is very much okay to mount the remote antenna behind the plastic bumper as a lot of Porsche and Vette folks do, as long as there's no meal in front of it (duh). Guess I'll be looking for a good spot.

Silver92B
03-03-2012, 12:22 PM
I am not sure which radar detector you are trying to install, but I had installed a laser detector/phaser on my Lancer EVO and I placed the antennae on the front skirt in the "mouth" (yes, the EVO had a mouth) and the display in the clock opening of the dashboard.
later I installed my Bel RX65 in my 'Vette in a sort of stealth mode. I wired the remote display near the rearview mirror and placed the detector itself on the rear shelf between the seats. It actually seemed to work quite well. You could not easily see it from outside the car but it appeared to pickup radar signals pretty well. I just drove to Ohio from GA with the same detector mounted on the windshield in my Toyota FJ, and it seems to pick up signals about the same as it did in the Corvette.
I don't like the idea of the antennae being placed outside the car in the elements. I just don't think they can take the kind of beating the roads and the weather can dish out. Of course, YMMV, etc.

Agent☣Orange
03-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Finally installing my Bell RX75 and although the front antenna is weatherproof, I just didn't want to put it low in the mouth because it would be really visible. I'm not worried about it being exposed to the elements because that's what it was designed for. I've decided to place it behind the front bumper but I still have to get to it. I was just wondering about effectiveness but from what I've read, there shouldn't be any intereference from the plastic bumper plus it's pretty stealth.

As for the "head" module, I've been looking all over for a place to mount it. My system comes with an amplified speaker and stealth LED to install somewhere like the instrument cluster so having the head module in view really isn't necessary but I would like to see the digital display once in a while. I thought about mounting it up by the mirror but if I did that, I might as well have a regular, self contained radar detector I figrured.

Silver92B
03-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Finally installing my Bell RX75 and although the front antenna is weatherproof, I just didn't want to put it low in the mouth because it would be really visible. I'm not worried about it being exposed to the elements because that's what it was designed for. I've decided to place it behind the front bumper but I still have to get to it. I was just wondering about effectiveness but from what I've read, there shouldn't be any intereference from the plastic bumper plus it's pretty stealth.

As for the "head" module, I've been looking all over for a place to mount it. My system comes with an amplified speaker and stealth LED to install somewhere like the instrument cluster so having the head module in view really isn't necessary but I would like to see the digital display once in a while. I thought about mounting it up by the mirror but if I did that, I might as well have a regular, self contained radar detector I figrured.

From what I have learned, the radar waves go through most materials rather easily, but some of them bounce back to the radar receiver. The plastic stuff is virtually transparent to those waves. As for the remote display mount, I guess you might be able to adapt some place in the dashboard to house it. I don't know if your car has any unused switch panels. Maybe that would be a solution. I guess the radar detector antenna are not as delicate as the laser phasers. For one, they don't have to be precisely aligned.... I know that they are supposed to be made for their intended use, but I still think they would take a big beating sitting out there in front of everything...