PDA

View Full Version : NA Mazdaspeed Fiberglass Racing Seat w/extruded aluminum Mazdaspeed mounts

LotusEd
02-25-2019, 11:03 PM
Any thoughts on the value would be most appreciated.

The Mazdaspeed mounts allow the seat to be bolted to the factory seat sliders.

The rear of the shell shows wear from safety harness hardware and the Hard Dog roll bar that was installed in my 94R. The rest of the seat shows no wear.

Phatmiata
02-25-2019, 11:14 PM
@vote4pedro where you at??

Phatmiata
02-25-2019, 11:22 PM
nevermind I found it,

page 170 of the 96/97 Mazdaspeed Catalog, Top Left

Mazdaspeed Part Number is 9A1D-57-100 Bucket Seat
It says the Price "Back Then" was 88,000 Yen So I would say if mint it would be worth double, maybe not for a Miata guy, but I know a few RX7 owners that would be all over that seat!!!

The Side where is has the damage is what is gonna be the deciding factor however its still vaporware stateside, and even likely rare in Japan these days.

bogaut
02-26-2019, 12:05 AM
this one is in awesome shape. id say around 7-800.

LotusEd
02-26-2019, 12:13 AM
nevermind I found it,

page 170 of the 96/97 Mazdaspeed Catalog, Top Left

Mazdaspeed Part Number is 9A1D-57-100 Bucket Seat
It says the Price "Back Then" was 88,000 Yen So I would say if mint it would be worth double, maybe not for a Miata guy, but I know a few RX7 owners that would be all over that seat!!!

The Side where is has the damage is what is gonna be the deciding factor however its still vaporware stateside, and even likely rare in Japan these days.
As the original (former) owner of both a 79 RX-7 GS and an 87 RX-7 Turbo II, I would happily sell to a brother rotary head.

Not sure what you mean by side damage. Are you referring to the foam-like material surrounding the side harness slot? It has probably discolored a bit from age, but the foam is not disintegrating. I’ll take a closer look, but I don’t think there is any “damage” there. The opposite side looks identical.

Phatmiata
02-26-2019, 12:20 AM
ah okay, I thought it was cracked fiberglass, but if its just foam residue or glue residue not a deal breaker, if you can get a closer photo of that area Ill get it to my buddy that has an RX7

Willywongka
02-26-2019, 01:58 AM
I always wondered how comfortable these seats are.

LotusEd
02-26-2019, 02:16 AM
I always wondered how comfortable these seats are.

I am 5’10” 175 lbs. The seat was very comfortable for me. I used to do the six-hr drive between Minneapolis-St. Paul and Elkhart Lake, WI without issue. And it was very supportive on track at Road America.

LotusEd
02-26-2019, 02:20 AM
ah okay, I thought it was cracked fiberglass, but if its just foam residue or glue residue not a deal breaker, if you can get a closer photo of that area Ill get it to my buddy that has an RX7

Thanks. I’ll send you some closeups of both sides of both harness slots tomorrow. I think that foam was designed to protect the fiberglass in that area from harness friction.

Infedora
02-27-2019, 12:10 PM
I am 5’10” 175 lbs. The seat was very comfortable for me. I used to do the six-hr drive between Minneapolis-St. Paul and Elkhart Lake, WI without issue. And it was very supportive on track at Road America.

LotusEd, why would you ever leave The Cities? I could easily lightened your packing by buying some of these. ��

MaRcOp01o
02-27-2019, 12:36 PM
I want this so bad but I already got MS seats. @Bogaut

LotusEd
02-27-2019, 05:58 PM
LotusEd, why would you ever leave The Cities? I could easily lightened your packing by buying some of these. ��

I didn't leave voluntarily. I was close to retirement and my younger wife had a good career opportunity here. I loved St. Paul (Highland Park), had a 15-minute commute to my job at the U, and within 5 minutes of home could be on smooth twisty roads with no traffic. Contrary to common wisdom, the road surfaces in Minnesota are smoother than they are here. Go figure. I'd move back in a minute.

Infedora
02-27-2019, 08:57 PM
I didn't leave voluntarily. I was close to retirement and my younger wife had a good career opportunity here. I loved St. Paul (Highland Park), had a 15-minute commute to my job at the U, and within 5 minutes of home could be on smooth twisty roads with no traffic. Contrary to common wisdom, the road surfaces in Minnesota are smoother than they are here. Go figure. I'd move back in a minute.

I’d hold those memories of the roads here. Last year they got rough and this year they’re the worst I’ve seen in years and that includes Summit and the River Roads. To make matters worse theyve beefed up patrols on the River Road :( Give me a shout if you visit. I’m up in the Summit Hill neighborhood. We’ll go out for a cruise and a brew.