PDA

View Full Version : New Caliper?

Sid
02-18-2012, 10:07 PM
Alright, so I finally got my miata this past week!

But I was on the lookout while driving this week for any problems that might come along with, and after a few days of blissful fun getting used to driving a fun car again. (sold my dakota to get it.)

so down to the crux of me posting - while driving around today i noticed that the front brakes felt sticky - while stopped on a hill the car wouldn't roll - it would stop on its own when moving slowly and i felt the front pulling to the right when braking. Also the car let out a moan when starting to move from a stop.

SO. a little research and it doesn't sound like an uncommon problem with these cars but i see a lot of info on stuck slider pins.

Well i got the caliper off and the slider pins seem lubed enough to me, but when looking at the piston after that i saw this:

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l471/namDnas/photo3.jpg

So my question is, am i looking at a rebuilt caliper tomorrow? or would more lube on the slider pin solve the problem? Really im assuming i need to replace it but i wanted to see if that rip in the boot above was a critical situation for it.

Thanks

kung fu jesus
02-18-2012, 10:10 PM
I would rebuild it. That seal and the corrosion on the OD of the piston is sketchy.

Sid
02-18-2012, 10:20 PM
Thanks, yeah like i said thats pretty much what i was expecting - so ill plan on that for tomorrow morning. Ill post my results on here for posterity's sake

Sid
02-19-2012, 05:09 PM
Well i got the caliper off and tried to start tearing it down to rebuild it - but no amount of compressed air and PB Blaster would get the piston to dislodge itself - 80 bucks later and the new (reman) caliper is in and brakes bled - these cars really are easier to work on than any car ive owned thus far.

now drives better than the day i bought it.

Small White Car
02-19-2012, 05:44 PM
80 bucks later and the new (reman) caliper is in...

Yeah, best option looking at that, I would only recommend a home rebuild job if you have seal failure. If you can't clean it up with a rag and a light hit with some fine emery cloth then leave it to someone else and save the hassle.