PDA

View Full Version : Living the Roadster Life

Reggie
02-20-2012, 03:19 AM
My not-so-secret, ‘Dirty Little Secret’: Part one

A passionate Toyota Altezza owner discovers that the process of letting go of the things we love can often result in receiving more than expected in return …

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l1w08d2R791qa1gst.jpg

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l1w0b6W3zK1qa1gst.jpg

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l1w09uYRUi1qa1gst.jpg

By Wikipedia’s definition, a dilemma (Greek δί-λημμα “double proposition”) is a problem offering at least two solutions or possibilities, of which none are practically acceptable. One in this position has been traditionally described as “being on the horns of a dilemma”, neither horn being comfortable, “between Scylla and Charybdis”; or “being between a rock and a hard place”, since either objects or metaphorical choices are rough.

For this “Dirty Little Secret”, the dilemma was an opportunity presenting itself with no practical solution seemingly available to take advantage of this opportunity. This opportunity? Owning a part of Roadster history. Australian Roadster history, at least …

A few years ago, fellow enthusiast and friend, Kevin (known as Babalouie or Babs for short), decided to rebuild his White 1993 NA8 Roadster Clubman after having put it through its paces both as a track and a drift car. After a full rebuild, the NA8 eventually made its way interstate to another meticulous enthusiast and friend, Lachy (short for Lachlan) , where he continued the good work that Babs had started, taking the development of the car’s true JDM style even further. He also gave the car a new name after the potent Japanese spirit – SAKE.

At the beginning of 2010, Lachy came to a fork in the road and decided it was time to part with SAKE. Like most of us reading would know, this is a very hard decision to be made for any enthusiast who has ever put blood, sweat and tears into a project. But as the saying goes, “If you love something, be prepared to set it free”.

I approached Lachy the moment he hinted he was considering selling SAKE. Like a vulture to a dying bison, I had to ask the price. I asked without thinking of any of the dilemmas I would encounter if I were to successfully purchase SAKE.

Dilemma: After a month of toying with the idea, Lachy was forced (by himself) to advertise SAKE. Plenty of discussions followed between me, Babs and a few other friends about SAKE. A lot of people were interested in the car. This made me think hard and I worried that the opportunity to purchase was fading the more I pondered my decision. Questions that raced around my head were money, storage space, what to do with my current IS200 project car (The Banana), and WHY.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2515/4089240926_41be1c90da_z.jpg?zz=1

Money: The first time I had asked Lachy how much, I had paid off the credit card bills, and was slowly building up some savings. But a month after, quarterly mortgage payments and other bills from a spending spree on The Banana made those savings go into the red.

Storage Space: I already had two cars taking up my apartment’s allocated garage spots. I had promised a good friend (and Roadster Life contributor) that he could store his Roadster in my spare car spot for the 12 months. Adding SAKE would mean I either had to sell a car, or forfeit my promise.

My Lexus IS200 (The Banana): Those who knew me all responded the same way as soon as I announced I wanted to buy the NA8 - “Are you selling the Banana?” , “You can’t sell the Banana, you love it so much”.

WHY: The questions I kept asking in my head were, “Why do you want an MX5?”, “Why do you want a car older than the one I have now?”, “Why SAKE? Why this particular Roadster? Why not another MX5 in a more stock condition that would not only be cheaper but also something I could modify to my own tastes?”.

All these questions ran round and round in my head with the Benny Hill theme music playing in the background, until I couldn’t take it anymore …

I decided to start negotiating with Lachy. I laid out my situation and intent to purchase the Clubman openly and honestly to Lachy and eventually we negotiated a deal that saw the current SSR Mk2 wheels and Bride driver’s seat not included. After a few emails, we finally arrived at a price we were both happy with. While the negotiation was happening I also had to negotiate with myself; How the hell was I going to fund this?

The answer came from a fishing trip with my parents.

From that day of fishing I have changed my mindset on things we love — that letting go often means letting in another.

*from roadsterlife.net (http://www.roadsterlife.net/)

Reggie
02-21-2012, 12:38 AM
My not-so-secret, ‘Dirty Little Secret’: Part two

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l297jq9Db81qa1gst.jpg

After agreeing on a price for the Roadster with Lachy, my parents and I (over the course of a weekend fishing trip) then negotiated for me to purchase their family soft roader for a very reasonable price (free). They wanted to downsize and this arrangement allowed them to do so while keeping the X-Trail close by to carry the fishing gear. It seemed as if everything was falling into place, almost too easily. However, as some of you who know me would attest, I naturally made things somewhat harder for myself…

As SAKE was such a well known car, I wanted to keep my purchase of it a secret in order to surprise my group of friends. Of course trying to drive home a car that you’ve just purchased without any wheels interstate is a little hard to keep a secret. I consulted a close group and we planned a road trip weekend, buying new wheels and bringing them with us, and driving the new car home. As a nice surprise, a recently ordered (and rather significant) shirt from Import Bible arrived at my office - the car that is printed on the shirt is SAKE. It’s really her.

New Dilemma: Shoes for SAKE
Upon deciding to pursue this car, I had already made the decision to change the wheels on the car to something of my own taste. During my negotiation with the seller I suggested deducting the cost of the wheels from the purchase price as I had something else in mind. As a stop gap, I was going to borrow a set of ultra-rare JDM wheels that a friend was importing. These wheels would be arriving in Melbourne and all I would have to do is pick them up on route to picking up SAKE. It was the perfect plan… until I found out they came with bald tyres… and were still sitting in a container ship somewhere between Japan and Australia.

After further discussion with the friends in the loop, the “Dirty Little Secret” party if you may, the option to buy a set of Enkei 14x7 +19 RPF1 seemed like the best solution. They were apparently in stock, and while shipping from the US would most likely arrive in time, I had the feeling that they wouldn’t and the problem of having no wheels when we collected SAKE would still exist.

So, the final and most sensible option was to borrow a friend’s stock NA8 wheels in the interim, put some new tyres on them for the drive back and then swap the new tyres over when the Enkei’s arrived.

So now that the wheel Dilemma was solved, our next dilemma was, “Who wants to go for a roadtrip?”

Originally we were a party of 5 (how appropriate!) however we only had one car organised to get us there. The issue with this being that if we took the IS, we couldn’t use the back seat on the way home due to the amount of spare parts that were being sold with the car. This meant that one passenger had no seat for the return journey. So then there were four.

Agent☣Orange
02-21-2012, 12:46 AM
I nominate this thread for Intro of the Year.

P.S. If you're still posting, I'll delete mine so it doesn't interrupt your flow.

Reggie
02-21-2012, 02:51 AM

P.S. If you're still posting, I'll delete mine so it doesn't interrupt your flow.

Cheers mate, there will be more but I'll release it a bit at a time so feel free to post. Thanks once again.

Benbrg
02-21-2012, 04:00 AM
Epic. I like where this is going.. and I spot wats. :slayer:

Reggie
02-21-2012, 04:25 AM
Epic. I like where this is going.. and I spot wats. :slayer:

Original owner had magnesium wats on them...until they cracked...which I been told normal O.o

Reggie
02-21-2012, 04:34 AM
My not-so-secret, ‘Dirty Little Secret’: Part three

With the collection date fast approaching, 48hrs prior to departure some really good news came through: A message from Brian Goodwin of Goodwin Racing USA advising that multiple packages were arriving.

Confession:I did something naughty and I have to fess up. While pondering my wheels dilemma, I toyed around with sending Brian an email to see if I could order the limited-custom-order 14x7+19 RPF1s and asked if I could use his Paypal system to purchase rather than the temperamental-for-Australian-credit-cards online shopping cart through his website. Sadly, Brian advised me that he didn’t have any in stock for immediate delivery. I was disappointed, especially considering the online store did show these wheels as being available.

After discovering that the website store would accept an Amex card, my arrogance got the better of me, so I decided to try and order the wheels. A few days of thumb twiddling and then seeing my amex bill deduct the amount later than week made me think that the order had gone through. Which was a problem.

Being impatient, I had also been looking through yahoo.jp for wheels as a backup plan if the RPF1s weren’t available. As fate would have it, a set of 14x6.5 +14 Watanabes came up. Compulsive buying mentality kicked in, I won the auction and before I knew what I had done a second set of wheels were on their way to me.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l51dqpwzAm1qa1gst.jpg

With a lack of wheels clearly no longer a problem, we set off to Melbourne in my parent’s X-Trail. The plan was to leave at 2.00am to make Melbourne by the early afternoon. Three friends (Matt, Karl and Will) were to join me and help share the driving, with a fourth (Nath) flying down the following day to meet us and be a fresh driver for the return home.

I took the helm for the first three hours. From there Will took over the drive until breakfast at around 8.00am. After devouring a few McMuffins we were off until a well deserved coffee break at Holbrook, where you will find the “Best Coffee in Hume”.

Matt took the last and final stretch to Melbourne. By 12:30, we were in the northern suburbs of Melbourne taking out some cash at a teller machine, but not for the purchase of a car. This road trip was also an opportunity for Matt to pick up an HKS exhaust for his NC roadster, so a slight detour for parts retrieval was undertaken before completing the main objective of the trip: to pick up Sake, an immaculate NA8 clubman roadster.

Upon viewing the car, it was clear that the journey was well worth it. Sake was 10000% better than I had anticipated, and had to pinch myself. Tiredness and hunger went away as I did a quick test drive of the car with its owner, Lachy. My first impression of the car was a good one, but the second one not so - It was when I tried to manoeuvre SAKE along a driveway when I realise that no power steering is hard work at slow speed and resulted in a scrape to the Garage Vary front lip.

Forgetting this slight mishap, the deal was closed, papers signed, money exchanged and the X-Trail was loaded with the spare parts that were also part of the sale. At this time we were joined by Nath and our mazda parts-pusher and Melbourne friend, Dan, to assist us celebrating the occasion – a late lunch in Lygon Street and dinner at Garage Cafe - an eatery focused on the car owner where you can park your car in the venue and eat next to them.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l51dp2INpG1qa1gst.jpg

By 10.00pm I was almost ready to sleep standing up, so the five of us retreat to the hotel for another early start. 5.00am would come too soon but driving Sake home would more than compensate a second sleepless night …

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l51dngcEAr1qa1gst.jpg

Reggie
02-22-2012, 03:24 AM
My not-so-secret, ‘Dirty Little Secret’: Part four

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lk7jjl6uv81qf68zz.jpg

Alarm set to 5:00am, intended departure 6:00am...I quickly took a shower and headed straight to the cars knowing that the crew needs plenty of rest. A quick SMS to let them know where I am was suffice – next to the “The Car formerly known as SAKE”.

Finally got some alone time with her - took some quick snaps and checked the engine bay. Afterwards, I made my way to the Xtrail to do some housekeeping by cleaning out the empty wrappers and bottles we have consumed the previous day.

Slowly, the crew emerged out of their slumber one by one. By 6:30 the Xtrail is packed again, red gloves on, and RAW by Import Bible shirt uniform on, we were ready to hit the road.

Matt’s Stint: - Melbourne to Winton

Having not ridden shotgun the night before during our celebration, Matt was honoured with the first drive back to Sydney. Matt guides her out of the bunker, and this time clearing the pavement by a whisker.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lk7i8j4QMy1qf68zz.jpg

After a few blips, we were on our initial quick pits stop for fuel and drinks before we can commence the extraction back to Sydney.

While going through all the speed traps Melbourne could offer, Matt and I notice that our speedo is faster compared to what is shown in the GPS. We eventually found out that due to the 4.3 diff and as a quirk of NA8s, the speedo is 10kph faster than reality. No wonder we were getting overtaken by Sunday drivers and big rigs.

Just outside of Melbourne we were greeted by an awesome sight, Sunrise in the distance, rolling hills on the right, a valley on the left, the city behind and clean clear winding freeway beyond us.

As I describe the perfect setting encompass us to Matt, his response was “Reg, this is Roadster Life”.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lk7i6iJgTQ1qf68zz.jpg

Realising this, we decided to do our first photo shoot opportunity. We found ourselves in a nice straight road perpendicular to the freeway – enough to be out of the peering eyes of highway men.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lk7ibuEgC11qf68zz.jpg

After the slight detour, we strapped ourselves back and blitz our way to Winton Raceway.

This is the first time for all of us at Winton so plenty of happy snaps like tourist and the mandatory RAW uniform poses.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lk7ivjtW9R1qf68zz.jpg

Karl’s Stint: - Winton to Holbrook

Karl took the reign as we leave Winton, but I doubt he enjoyed the drive as the EDFC decided to chuck a tantrum and decide to reset all setting to ZERO, yes ZERO ergo FULL STIFF. Because of his recent trip to Doctors and Nurses, it was not a pleasant ride, good thing though it was a short trip to Holbrook.

Before we reach Holbrook, we had to pass the NSW/VICTORIA border. Karl advises me that we have successfully rescued my little pony from the crutches of ze Germans or Mexicans known to many.

In the entrance of Holbrook, Karl guided the wounded Corsair into our next destination and made a perfect landing back to the “Best Coffee along HUME” for a brunch. I quickly jump out and tried to find a way to fix the EDFC. I made a quick attempt but the brains have already been overrun by the stomach.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lk7iysWeax1qf68zz.jpg

After consuming my mushroom, egg, and bacon toast I quickly grabbed the phone and called Kevin (the original owner of the car)

But before I can ask the question, a more important Happy Birthday medley were sang by all as today is Kev’s day. After the first hurrah my Blackberry, as always, decided to hang up. Another quick redial and we have him back online. I quickly explain the situation and was given advised to wiggle, and re-connect the cable or even find a way to open the motor mechanism but I can only do the first two as the latter require tools that we don’t have.

I decided to give up and just enjoy the rough ride as we were already burning essential daylight.

Nath’s Stint: - Holbrook to Marulan

We quickly refuelled the two and posed for some piccies at the famous Submarine in the middle of nowhere before we left Holbrook.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lk7j3lMsTb1qf68zz.jpg

Nath took the next stint and didn’t find the harshness of the ride that bad till we hit a bump approaching a bridge at speed that we felt our lungs hit our breakfast and squash into our pelvis. OUCH – let’s not do that again.

So we drove cautiously and I found myself fiddling with the EDFC desperately trying to make it work. Frustration got the better off me, so I gave up and just conversed with Nath during our drive up.

We slowly got ourselves in a bind when nature called and there are still one and half hours to go till the next stop - oh the pain.

Arriving at BP Marulan, I hurriedly attended to nature while the others re-supplied the two chariots. Everyone advised me to admire the back and not to approach the front of the car as I would not like what the Mexican nature left as a parting gift. Bumper covered with bugs –from little moths to gigantic dragon flies.

Will’s Stint: - Marulan to Prestons

After a few minutes of conversing and stretching the chicken legs, Will get to take the last leg of the trip. From here, all bets are off – we are off to the races. During this leg of the trip is when Nath took some incredible shots using the settling sun as his template. Will struts “The car formerly known as SAKE” through shots after shots like a celebrity in the red carpet.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lk7j5q6DY61qf68zz.jpg

We entertainingly found ourselves back to the traffic of suburbia but closer to home. By this time, I could not careless how long to go till I get home. The journey is more fulfilling than the destination.

Final Stretch: - Prestons to Eastern Burbs.

10 minutes till my Parents house; I quickly rang my second home to prepare our arrival and have the high pressure hose on standby.

The Xtrail peels off heading north to my apartment where the crew can quickly prepare for my arrival...well sort of, but in reality Matt just wants his new Pew-Pew gauss cannon installed (aka NC exhaust mod)

As we approach my parents house, we were greeted by the Matriarch of the Familia with a big “Wow that is a nice car” while the Silent Don holding the high pressure hose ready to spray the bugs away.

As we quickly clean up the front, I advised the two that Will is the soon-to-be owner of the Banana (my yellow IS200) which was conveniently parked in my parent's garage. They congratulated Will and assured to him what he already knows – the Banana is ready for her new owner.

After the splash and dash, we were ready for road again but this time I’m in the cockpit ready for my first drive in the state of NSW. But as expected, I bogged the rear on the exit of the parents driveway like a bogged the front at exit of the Melbourne apartment.

After quick reminder from Will on how to get out of his area and back to the freeway, I quickly drop him home and jump back onto the freeway with ease. I mischievously approach the tunnel slowly, gearing myself for my first orgasmic rumble in the tunnel.

OOOhhh so sooo good but also so so juvenile – I love it!

I quickly composed myself as getting into mischief this early is will be a sign of disrespect. So I gently guided her back to normality and into the bosom of my apartment’s car park. There I found Sandra discussing to Matt her next purchase while Karl has left to drop off Nath. I quickly drove around and luckily found a Visitors Parking for her to temporarily rest while we emptied out the Xtrail and drove her back to my parent's place.

By this time, I’m hungry and tired but so is everyone else. So I bid farewell to Sandra as she makes her way back home while Matt hurriedly prepare his NC for a quick transplant – so he thinks.

I finally made it back to the parent's place to return the Xtrail and as always, I could not resist the constant twisting of my arm to eat some food before I leave. It is funny how parents know when their kids are hungry...do we look that obvious? Like the chirps of hatchlings.

So I cheekily ate the hotdog roll knowing that the crew will be hungry when they see me.

I fell back into my elements while driving the Banana back to my apartment. The sheer comfort and solid build made me wonder why I am selling her only to be reminded when I got home – I mischievously grin the moment I saw her.

That night, after the NC transplant and my first DIY fix on the EDFC (loose connection), the crew and I , with the addition of Stefan, celebrated with a feast as we welcome “The car formerly known as Sake” back to Sydney.

That night I slept like a baby. No nightmares, only dreams; of parts, DIYs, long drives, and epic stories. It is the roadster way, the roadster life.

The END.....for now.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lk7jiwYdeF1qf68zz.jpg

drkknt05
02-22-2012, 07:43 AM
This made me smile and feel nice and warm... Wish you the best of luck on your journey

oldcafe
02-22-2012, 09:22 AM
Awesome story, and car

Reggie
02-24-2012, 03:47 AM
An old friend reunited - Babalouie's garage

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4003/4589930159_ea0dcc62fe_o.jpg

took it to Babs' Garage for a reunion that turned into a DIY Raise-Em-Up-Buttercup as the car will see some track action, mountain humps and my parents evil driveway.

I booked the car for the raising-up at Indy (IS Motor Racing) but Babs and I could not resist. Bab's knew whats best as I do ask him every time I do something to her - "What would Bab's do?"

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4047/4590550090_62d5ee39e2_o.jpg

Anyways, from wheel arch to centre hub Babs' aim to get the distance around 125cm and a tad bit higher at the rear.

Once done, I took it for a drive and notice the steering has gone lighter a bit and ride is not as harsh.

Once I was back in the garage, Babs' giddily asked if he can take it for a spin - I happily gave him the keys. It will be an honour for the car to know her old master steering again.

Babs jumped into the cockpit and for awhile getting re-acquainted with the familiar environment, well I thought so until a questioning look on his face. Karl noticed it too so he reminded Babs, "THERE IS A STARTER BUTTON!!" .....then we all burst laughing for a good couple of minutes.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4055/4578173622_72d9e21133_o.jpg

after his short stroll around his area, he came back and immediately grab the lightgun and fixed the high idle.

I took her for a drive after the adjustment but on the way out of the garage, she winked at everyone - her right headlight closed and open.

She didn't feel any different from the changes Babs made but I blame my short time with her.

After Babs' Garage, the ride home was great and like the new stance.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3308/4590550224_41342255b4_o.jpg

the next morning, I took her to Indy to get her leveled up as Babs mentioned that the rear is a bit too high. We found it was 10mm higher than the rest.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4063/4590550424_f5f3b7a897_o.jpg

Once fixed, I went to Spinning Wheels (my local wheel alignment specialist) to get Stu to work his magic on her.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3311/4590550716_e8de6afa6a_o.jpg

Stu's work made her handle like she got powersteering...woot!

I was soon off to pickup Karl on the way to the Mechanic who will do the blue slip - compliance inspection as the car came from a different State.

The drive to the Mechanic took longer than the actual inspection and filling up of the form. :laughing:

Now that the blue slip is done, the only thing left is for the new plates to arrive so I can formally make her a resident of NSW.

Once I got home, time to give her her first wash.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3313/4589931141_84a8762119_o.jpg

WASABI
02-24-2012, 07:15 AM
Great story telling & photos. The passion, love and respect for have for your car comes through.

-Cheers,

Jim

P.S. Subscribed

Reggie
02-25-2012, 09:07 AM
^ thanks Jim.

Wats is this wheels?

An update on my confession found in the Part three of 'Dirty Little Secret',

My not-so-secret, ‘Dirty Little Secret’: Part three
Being impatient, I had also been looking through yahoo.jp for wheels as a backup plan if the RPF1s weren’t available. As fate would have it, a set of 14x6.5 +14 Watanabes came up. Compulsive buying mentality kicked in, I won the auction and before I knew what I had done a second set of wheels were on their way to me.

I eventually received the wheels that was specifically made for the car - Watanabe R8 14x6.5 +14 type B (i think)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs240.snc4/39320_413331078324_532168324_4836278_5588381_n.jpg

the wheels came with Bridgestone Playaz 185/55 that is pretty thin profile for me liking and makes the car sit even lower to the ground. Oh did I mention that I installed a set of Flying Miata Butterfly brace on her - to those who are familiar with the FM Butterfly they sit lower than the car. Anywho, these combo are the ingredients for copious scrapeage.

http://www.flyinmiata.com/Store/images/13-69920.jpg

Anyway, I ended up putting RE001 that are 185/60 (enough to limit the scapeage) on them but took me a good 7 months to do it.
But during the wait, I found these babies from RHDJapan.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h230/re99ie/JTYPE/Roadster/watanabecaps.jpg

I bought it without asking or researching as I thought they should just fit.

Well I FAILED on my attempt to put them centre caps on

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h230/re99ie/JTYPE/Roadster/capsFAIL1.jpg
doesn't go all the way in

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h230/re99ie/JTYPE/Roadster/capsFAIL2.jpg
no space to go through

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h230/re99ie/JTYPE/Roadster/capsFAIL3.jpg
no room for the caps

Looks like I got a set of 60mm Watanabe Caps now as coasters.

Reggie
02-25-2012, 09:20 AM
My first BESPOKE part courtesy of Babalouie's Garage

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h230/re99ie/JTYPE/Roadster/ROADNSTRE.jpg

During a bowling night, a friend of mine (Melvin) handed me two pieces of aluminium plates to help me make a heatshield.

The plate is around 2.5mm thick, which I've been told will be pretty thick for the purpose. For me, this is good - that means it will be over engineered.

Anyway, I managed to book a time with Babs to help me make a heatshield using the plates.

It took us a few hours to make it but well worth it.

We started by removing the strut brace and the lockstuart intake to make it easier for us to access the extractor area.

We then cut out a template from a cardboard and started outlining the shape of the heatshield using the cardboard.

Once we were happy with the shape, we masked the good side of the plate and traced the shape. Masking the good side helps prevent unnecessary scratches while man handling the plate.

At first we were pondering the safest way to cut the plate- saw or jigsaw. The jigsaw only came with a blade for cutting wood while the saw will be cumbersome when cutting through the angles. We decided to use the normal saw first as it is the safest but after the first straight line, we could not continue anymore due to its limitation.

So with Karl typing in "000", aka 911 Version in Aus, in his phone just in an event of blood lost. Babs cuts the plate using the jigsaw while I use my eyeglass and hoody for protection, . It worked like a charm; it was like cutting through butter, sort off. We were amazed that the blade didn't break on us, even though it looks like an old nanna's toothless mouth at the end of the exercise. (reminder to myself - buy Babs different types of jigsaw blades)

After cutting the outline, holes were drilled to utilise the existing bolts on the extractor.

Then using the vice table, we jigged up a few wooden blocks and clamps so we can bend the plate to our decide angles ie 1 x 30degree and 1 x 60degree angle.

After a few trial fit and bending, we got our desired shape for the heatshield. Final step is the polishing - using the Mothers Ball.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Heatshield006.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Heatshield018.jpg

A few coats of metal polish, we got our desired result and installed the heatsheild.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h230/re99ie/JTYPE/Roadster/HEATSHIELD2.jpg

Thanks for Babs and Karl for the assistance. Only missing now is the "Babs Garage Logo Plate" to be riveted onto the heatshield.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h230/re99ie/JTYPE/Roadster/HEATSHIELD1.jpg

Reggie
02-25-2012, 10:54 PM
FEMB DIY at BAB's Garage
*FEMB - Fire Extinguisher Mounting Bracket

I always wanted to have a safety equipment nearby when I'm driving her especially knowing that she ain't getting any younger and some leaks can make her combust.

So during one of my visit to the nearest race gear outfitter - Revolution Racegear, I got me a fire extinguisher.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4036/5120021669_2ff247a657.jpg
The Extinguisher comes with a holder but was not enough to be fitted in area where I want the extinguisher to go.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1386/5120025359_7c70821102.jpg
The mounting location is pretty standard for the mx5s - mounted using the front seat bolts, but instead of having it on the driver side, I opt to install the FEMB on the passenger side.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4096/5412358325_6dc0983b32_b.jpg
the design...note the round bits :hugegrin:

Them round bits will add extra strength to this FEMB and also Babs Tax (no warranty) in the event I part ways with it.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5057/5412358579_d9d5f1af9b_b.jpg
here is Babs punch stamping each centre hole for easy drilling

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4127/5412358905_0ba1f9bdb2_b.jpg
this FEMB will be very HOLEY :mrgreen:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5131/5412969602_5967abb504_b.jpg
next is the Jigsaw to cut the FEMB out using the correct type of saw bit this time, aluminium instead of the wooden bit we used last DIY.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5011/5412969892_11527acd02_b.jpg
Babs cleaned up the sides using the sandbelt, then I got busy with the polishing and scotchbriting

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5095/5412970136_be67939b87_b.jpg
once it is all nice and shiny, time for some dimple die lovin' :blush:

Not only does the dimple die looks good and adds strength, it also reduce the weight of the FEMB.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4149/5412970424_6d325eea79_b.jpg
some more polishing and scotchbriting, just the way I like it.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5013/5412360455_cac7101290_b.jpg
nice and scotched! :laughing:

The Finish Product.....FEMB by Babalouie
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4137/5412360785_8d29ea26cd_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5136/5412361103_1928ef37d6_b.jpg

Another marvelous work from Bab's garage....and hopefully this item is only use on other cars other than my own.

Grip Driver
02-26-2012, 10:07 AM
definitely one of my favorite white NA's, looks great!

morr
02-26-2012, 12:57 PM
I'm loving this thread, good work! The FEMB turned out pretty cool too.

Reggie
02-27-2012, 04:51 AM
I'm loving this thread, good work! The FEMB turned out pretty cool too.

It's pretty cool them dimple dye, I now have a few more parts that have them.

Centre Console Delete

one day, I got a message from my Parts Pusher (rupewrecht (http://www.jdmparts.rupewrecht.com/)) about an item I maybe interested in Japan. To cut the story short, I ended up getting this.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5292/5498411941_f9e4b1f1b6_b.jpg
minus the metal ring...that was added afterwards.

anyways, I decided to remove the center console and found that to do this, I will need to address the two things:
1. How will I fill in the gap from the tombstone to the floor?

http://www.mmmiata.com/images/products/MM146.jpg
Below the big square double din whole is the section that will need to be filled or extended to the gearbox floor.

2. And, how will I mount the window switch?

It is usually situated behind the gear shift.

Only way I know I can do this is to seek Babalouie's assistance, again. A day was arrange and cast of many also came assist me on the day.

So to address issue 1, we first removed the tombstone and gave some thought of a way to best cover the gap. Because of my fetish with aluminium, we decided to continue the accent and utilise the leftover aluminium plate from the Manifold Heatshield project so we can fabricate something that will hide the gap.

Babs did the cutting while I sort out the best way to incorporate the plate. Feels like being a doctor putting a plate on someones head ;) and by the end of this - I too will eventually need one.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5005/5299344029_7e506f44a4_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5287/5299348961_49afc20210_b.jpg

Once I was happy with the shape/design of the plate, Babs worked his magic to follow the said design and handed me the close-to-finish plate.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5205/5299952372_0d53f5bd43_b.jpg

Here is I putting some of my personal touch - scotchedbrighting :mrgreen:

Because I haven't decided how to resolve issue 2 - window switch relocation, we put back the SAFC back to the same position as before.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5127/5299352921_7416760c44_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5250/5302641035_63db96d95c_b.jpg

Eventually, after spending some more internet hours researching how to address the dangling window switch, I found this DIY by revlimiter (http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=18571&page=24). Through revlimiter, I got inspired to install something similar.

http://revlimiter.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/DSC_0347.jpg

First mission was to gather the parts required to create my own window switch and where better else to find all what I need than my local Electronics shop - Jaycar.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/products_uploaded/productLarge_14204.jpg
DPDT heavy duty switch - integral part of the DIY

After a few hours one late night, I managed to create the switch (sorry no pics - I was totally in the zone that forgot to take one single pic)

After a few days driving around testing the switch, I managed to book a night of DIY at Babaloiue's Garage to install the switch properly into the plate - I needed to borrow a dremel to cut some plastic off.

first issue we encounter is that there a bit of plastic on the console that will need to come off before the switch can fit in.
http://bbs.jtype.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=5337&stc=1&d=1293883593

After having my way on the console with the help of a Dremel, I managed to cutoff the interference.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5047/5319142673_e81d149371_b.jpg

After a few wiggling, we were done.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5008/5319747984_6d0bdbaaee_b.jpg

but not so long, we seem to be faced with another dilemma - how to fill the substantial gap between the radio and the SAFC+window switch, about a DIN size.

psulja
02-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Great thread! Looking forward to more updates.

etikoner
02-28-2012, 11:18 AM
Absolutely love this build. Top notch work going on here.

atank
02-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Very, Very Nice!!!!!!!!

Reggie
03-01-2012, 02:09 AM
Taking a break from the DIYs.

Sunset by the Bay

one of those balmy summer afternoon 2010 that I found myself alone in a carpark testing my poortography skillz on my newly purchased 7d and 17-40mm f4L

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5086/5302623653_e5a6bd28ac_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5083/5303222356_a00569778b_b.jpg

as seen in roadsterlife.net (http://www.roadsterlife.net/post/2527278144/sunset-on-toast)

Reggie
03-01-2012, 02:19 AM
One Sunday Afternoon

One lazy Sunday afternoon, Matt and I got bored so we decided to visit one of our favourite Pie place in Sydney. Situated along the Old Pacific Highway north of Sydney.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5259/5458580908_10cc5ff06c_b.jpg

After devouring a pie or two, we head off for nice Sunday drive

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5219/5458189847_8e9f99923d.jpg

I rarely visit Old Pacific Highway, locally known as Old Pac, but during our drive I got curious of this parkland I found while doing a U-turn.

Here we found a delightful rustic tunnel.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5254/5457707139_82d21033b5_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5091/5457700531_d78e8cdca6_b.jpg

After a few poses, we continue our drive back to civilisation but Matt had some other ideas. I found myself going down this gorge and within another nature reserve called Bobbin Head.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5175/5458303536_f6f871da44_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5056/5457688879_77be40b1c4_b.jpg

As we got closer to home, I said to myself "What a nice day to spend Sunday afternoon! This is roadster life!"

Reggie
03-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Matt invited me to partake on a 2 for 1 deal Circuit Club (http://circuitclub.com.au/page/home-page) is having at Sydney's Eastern Creek Raceway (EC).

A day at EC

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5295/5478751168_f51186c3de_b.jpg

It will be her first track day with me in the hot seat and it will be my first timed event at EC. All of my previous drive at EC were through Burrows Day (http://www.eventsoneill.com/Home/Site-2004-Document-Root/Sydney/Burrows-Drive-Day) in my previous Yellow IS200 aka Banana.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7a/Eastern_Creek_Circuit.svg/800px-Eastern_Creek_Circuit.svg.png

Firstly, she is a lot quicker than the Banana.

I found myself using an instructor for the first two session fixing my lines as having more power means I can't just leave my foot on the accelerator anymore. :oops:

We concentrated on Turn 1 and Turn 2 most of the day.

Turn 1, aim is to see how late we can turn in using the same amount of braking. We started at 200 marker and ending up just before 100 marker. I found myself getting too comfortable with 140 corner speed around turn 1 but I think I can go a we bit quicker than that.

Turn 2 being a double apex needed rework. Before, I was braking head on and turning as late as possible making a right angle turn to the inside exit apex of turn 2. Instead, Tom (instructor) got me to do the triangle turn by aiming the car towards the inside entry apex, doing most of my braking then and turning sharply midway on the lane and aim for the inside exit apex gradually powering the car towards the entry apex of turn 3.

Only during my final session (3rd) that I managed to get those two turns connected at speed with a final lap my PB of 2m11s. I think a little more time, I can get her down below 2m10s and with a semis under 2min (optimistic much?!?! ;) )

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5256/5478150371_a4dab06f79_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5018/5481228674_defc6dddd2_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5138/5481215892_eb2d91823e_b.jpg

Reggie
03-01-2012, 07:44 AM
after the Trackday at EC, I found myself a couple of unused Wakefield Open Day vouchers and it happens my Bro from UK has come for a visit - I always wanted for him to experience a track day.

Trackday with my Bro

Being in UK, my bro has limited access to any sort of vehicles and as an induction, I made him drive her around until he is confident and comfortable with the car's idiosyncrasy - ie non-ABS braking, non-power steering, suspension handling, and gearing.

The other reason why I wanted to take my bro to the track is to play with our 70-200mm lenses and do some panning shots - practice for our Singapore F1 trip.

Being an Open Day and only a few weeks left till the voucher expires, we found the track being run at its max (or more than) - around 20 cars per session.

We missed the first session, as we decided to have a sit down breaky at the town central.

I went out first just to get the feel for her as I haven't driven her on a dry wakefield track before, so i didn't really know what to expect.

I found that I can stay on 3rd most of the way and some spots I just have to lift off instead of brake.

Just as I was getting used to her the session is over. I did another session around the track as my bro is still gathering courage to break his virgin trackday experience.

Just before lunch, I managed to persuade him to take the helm and go for gold.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5225/5620978569_71faa86059_b.jpg
My advise to him is to drive at his pace and just be mindful of who is behind you. He drove her around gingerly at first but managed to get some pace but not enough to avoid holding up a few cars till they find the opportunity to go around him.

After a well deserve lunch, I went out with one mission - try get a fast lap (although no one is timing)
Managed to get a few clear laps, being at the front when the session started, until I found myself stuck behind some cars that I could not get around.

Once frustration creep its ugly head, I decided to change my mission - fun times!

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5143/5620587962_db2968f792_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5224/5620875654_4f54a0ae7e_b.jpg

Had a few laps just looking forward to turn 10.....LOLZ.

Other pics taken of me camera (some taken by me but mostly taken by Will) can be found here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/29079965@N07/sets/72157626499697056/)

Reggie
03-02-2012, 05:49 AM
here is something that maybe useful to many when it comes to hose leaks.

Rescue Tape

It all started after I replaced my old radiator, which died in the heat of battle doing dori dori at the trackday, and found a leak somewhere at the back of the engine - can't take the pressure (pun intended.....maybe.....perhaps :wink: ).

Anyways, I found that the left heater hose has a bit of a splice about an inch near the firewall. It is small enough not to poor all the radiator's contents but big enough to empty the reservoir in one short trip. I found my self using duck tape and other means to slow down the leak until I found this

http://www.fabulousrocketeers.com/WA4DQSimages/RescueTape.jpg

It is basically a Silicon based self amalgamating tape - ie it adheres to itself.

this tape

vs

this type of holes
http://clunkbucket.com/wp-content/gallery/rescue-tape-heater-hose-repair/rescue_tape2.jpg

are no match.

It took me a few goes as I found it difficult to remove the heater hose without further damaging it or cutting it out of the heater core but found that I can do it in layers instead of following the instruction of using one continuous big layer.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2007/5725721405_4712ef61fd_z.jpg

NO LEAKS :o

Reggie
03-06-2012, 04:07 AM
Worm Drive Installation

Worm drive kit is like a long screw that brings the window up and down. The motor turn the screw to move the window up and down.

Purchased from Mx5part.co.uk -

As per usual, lack of maintenance (ie lubing the cables) of the standard power windows will eventually succumb to "My window is so fat, when it jumped for joy....it got stuck!"

This is the story of when I first installed it.
************************************* FLASH BACK TIME ***********************************

installed the worm drive tonight...and what a farking mission it was.

thanks to Dad for the second pair of hands and my mate Ray for helping the relocation of the central locking.

Question is "Is it worth it?" ...all I can say time will tell.

The quality of the kit is good but instruction that came with it was next to zilch. Oh and I didn't take any photos during the install as I forgot...got caught in the moment of fustration, Dad trying hurry it up, and Mom keeps reminding me to eat dinner. I guess they knew I wouldn't stop till I fix the thing. Also doesn't help when the whole family decided to come over for a visit and cook dinner at my place.

Anyways, taking the old unit out was not that hard especially when there are plenty of instruction in the web - found all the bolts required to be removed the power assembly. The window was the hardest to remove and put back on. Took us a few times to install the window due some alignment issue - a bitch of a process.

Anyways, we managed to install the kit but was scratching our heads why it wasn't going all the way up and all the way down.

First, we found that the forward window stopper guide was getting caught in the worm mechanism elbow and getting stuck on the way down. The next is the worm mechanism rubber hose curled up and was also catching the forward window stopper guide on the way up. I can fix the latter by uncurling the hose. But the forward window stopper guide needs be shaved a few millimetres to avoid being an obstructions.

Eventually my parents gave up nagging and left me with my half opening window. Try to get a better light on the situation, I decided to start the car up. Only then the real issue why the window would not work properly manifested.......battery was going flat...car would not start....doh!!!!!!

after realising this, I went straight to my Brother's place to borrow his jumper leads as mine is still in another black NA8 that I'm minding for a friend parked at the parentals which is 45minutes away.

After jump starting her, eureka! the whole window works like a charm. But the issue of not going down completely due to the forward window stopper guide was still there, it is catching on the kit. Only if I had a dremel.

Anyways, Ray came over to grab his set of wheels i kept in my storage and help me finish the install. We found a way to relocate the central locking by putting a few speedholes on the door.

The window still needs to be calibrated as it wiggles backwards or forward when it goes up and down. I think something is still not aligned properly.

Also my jeans is now all tarred up after I kneels on the plastic cover with black tar, but I'm happy my car is almost back to normal.

By this time I had enough and went inside to join the family for dinner and planned to not touch the window tonight anymore but before I did all this, I visited my local hardware shop across the road and bought me a set of filer.

After dinner, I couldn't help myself and went down stairs to pull out the plastic window stopper guide. The white round thing between the regulator and central locking unit.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h230/re99ie/JTYPE/Roadster/wormdrive1.jpg

after a few rub of the file, the bastard is now clearing the worm elbow. Just as a precaution, I sprayed some lithium grease on the plastic window stopper guide for more lubrication.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h230/re99ie/JTYPE/Roadster/wormdrive4.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h230/re99ie/JTYPE/Roadster/wormdrive3.jpg

The SPEED TEST

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h230/re99ie/JTYPE/Roadster/?action=view&current=MVI_2203.mp4

Reggie
03-10-2012, 07:09 AM
Another Babs Garage Night Story - Gear boot and fluid change

One Friday night I managed to book another Garage time at Babs' to change the oil in the gear and diff, bleed the brakes and if we have enough time change the gear boots. To make the most of the Garage time, another NA8 owner, Karl, came along as he too need the same TLC on his NA8.

I started with the diff and gear oil replacement while Karl replaced his gear boots.

We commence by raising the rear of my car which is always difficult when I could never remember a suitable/safe way to jack her up.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h230/re99ie/JTYPE/Roadster/BABSG_DIFFCHANGE1.jpg

once she was up, I started unbolting the top bolt on the diff housing- didn't take much effort especially when Babs have frequently done this her long time ago. Same as the top bolt, the bottom bolt came off with ease as well.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h230/re99ie/JTYPE/Roadster/BABSG_DIFFCHANGE3.jpg

bottom of the battered brace.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h230/re99ie/JTYPE/Roadster/BABSG_DIFFCHANGE2.jpg

while waiting for the diff oil to drip out, Babs showed me the wonder of fast bleed one way brake nipple (http://www.speedbleeder.com/). It is awesome, but forgot to take pics.

You basically turn a screw to open the one way valve, and insert a tube with a plastic bag on the end of it. Press the brake pedal 10-15 times per corner and don't forget to fill the reservoir when it is half full to avoid introducing air in the brakelines.

Filling in the Diff with oil was not difficult, the Royal Purple bottle has a built in nipple. Bolt the lower nut on first and then squeeze the bottle's content into the upper bolt hole. The only way to know you put enough is when the fluid overflows out of the hole.

Once all the diff is plugged and rear is lowered, we then raised her front to access the gearbox plugs.

Similar to the diff, the gearbox has two bolts - lower bolt for drain and upper (passenger side) bolt for the new oil to go into. No pics on this one as well as the confined space did not allow me to get a good shot.

It took us around 1hr to change the gearbox oil but mostly were done waiting for the thick oil to drip out.
Due to the restricted space around the gearbox, we used a 0.5ltr pump to tranfer the content of the Royal Purple bottle into the gearbox upper hole.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h230/re99ie/JTYPE/Roadster/BABSG_DIFFCHANGE4.jpg

As I was more familiar with the oil change, and Karl is now experienced in gear boot replacement, we (Karl) decided that I will change Karl's gearbox oil and he will change my gear boot. Good thing Babs around to make sure Karl is not putting any of "Karl Tax" ie damage on my car.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h230/re99ie/JTYPE/Roadster/BABSG_BOOTCHANGE2.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h230/re99ie/JTYPE/Roadster/BABSG_BOOTCHANGE1.jpg

The two overworked boots. Left is Karl's and right is mine, not as molested as Karl's.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h230/re99ie/JTYPE/Roadster/BABSG_BOOTCHANGE3.jpg

Changing the gearboots and oil made the gearbox feel much tighter and solid.

After a few days sitting in the garage, I moticed some leaks on the floor that looks like diff oil. I ended up finding some drippage out of the nuts.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h230/re99ie/JTYPE/Roadster/leakdiff.jpg

Just a precaution, I placed a cardboard underneath the car and waited for a few days to see if any leaks reappear but didn't find any drop marks on the cardboard. I cleaned the whole diff area again and took her for a spin around the Eastern Burbs to see if heat can reproduce the leak but when I got back I did not to find a single sign of diff oil leak. The leak must have been the residue of our change oil night at Babs Garage.

Anyways...Gear Shifting feels great again.

revlimiter
03-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Excellent thread and pix! I love seeing this car on RoadsterLife.net.

iRoadster
03-10-2012, 09:25 PM

I don't think there's any reason to nominate it, I think it just is.:slayer:

minto
03-11-2012, 10:49 AM
You own a Hakosuka!

Reggie
03-13-2012, 04:01 AM
Excellent thread and pix! I love seeing this car on RoadsterLife.net.

thanks..Sharka's development is always a good catchup conversion with the Roadsterlife crew.

You own a Hakosuka!

I wish....that Hako is proudly owned by my car's previous owner

http://i39.tinypic.com/1ze8qz7.jpg

My car was used as the chase car for the "round the bend" shoot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUj2ehptYnk

my car is in the video...lol

Reggie
03-13-2012, 05:20 AM
Weather or Not

It is always good to go for a drive no matter what weather is out there.

One morning I decided to join two Roadsterlife member Taz and Matt for a Brunch.

It was a late start so enough for me to get a good night sleep. :)

Matt with his wife and I arrived at the initial meeting point with plenty of time to take a few snaps while we wait for Taz and his wife.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2169/5823204759_40f97ea8ba_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5074/5823205489_d969c0bf9b_b.jpg

It didn’t take long till Taz and his wife to arrived with “Black Betty” - NA8 Special S.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3366/5823770436_e3a1e4171d_b.jpg

After a few more snaps and chit chat we were off to Stanwell Top Lookout in Sydney’s Royal National Park.

As the weather being drizzly and gloomy, the road was pretty much empty.

Our destination was empty as well. We snapped up some photos and enjoyed the scenery uninterrupted.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3020/5823771774_220f63181b_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5188/5823772520_64f2a4e53a_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3140/5823771106_8794ca3477_b.jpg

After a few snaps, we were off to sleepy town called Berry via Princess Highway.

Got a bit naughty and found some opportunity to take some driving shots of Taz and Matt on our way to Berry.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3034/5823209051_13ebff0d1d_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2686/5823209757_b7b2622714_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2549/5823774390_e133517076_b.jpg

Once we got to Berry, parking for both NA was waiting for us.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3533/5823775148_e6622268a7_b.jpg

Once we polished our brunch (mine was Chorizo on Homemade Baked Beans and Poached egg ontop of a Sourdough) and a few chats here and there, we all made our separate ways.

Taz and his wife took off to Kiama for fish and chips while Matt with his wife and I made our way to another local winding road called Jamberoo Rd.

After Matt and his wife joined me in a spirited drive through Jamberoo Rd. We eventually parted at Albion Park as they head up Macquarie Pass to meet up with Matt’s Parents.

I, in the other hand, made my cautious drive through Wollongong and made my way back to the Royal National Park via Helensburg.

Now that the sun is out, I decided to do a quick snap at Stanwell Tops Lookout before I head home for the day.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3226/5823775810_d3a753e46f_b.jpg

Weather or Not - this is Roadster Life!

moerdogg
03-13-2012, 05:58 AM
Awesome build, thanks sharing the details!

WASABI
03-13-2012, 07:05 AM
Great thread Reggie. Not only is the story good, and a beautiful car, but the pictures are intoxicating....You should work for Australia's Board of Tourism. Makes me want to take a vacation.

-Jim

Reggie
03-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Thanks!

Birthday like no other experienced before
part 1

Sometime last year, i invited a few of my closes friends for a trackday to celebrate Matt's and my birthday.

It was the first time I've organised a trackday before so alot of learning and organising had to be done before the great day. I realised that a month and a half was not really that much notice but I knew the problem was not how many will come but what will everyone wear being it is the Halloween weekend when the trackday is held.

And on the day, my friends did not disappoint

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4086/5153775158_b86ab17546_z.jpg
photo by Matt

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4024/5153775664_28bc33fd23_z.jpg
photo by Matt

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4033/5153775828_3db1741e33_z.jpg
photo by Matt

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1259/5153173133_a6d5198ec0_z.jpg
photo by Matt

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1438/5153780520_658fe9900e_z.jpg
photo by Matt

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4031/5153782604_4cf49e944c_z.jpg
photo by Matt

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1401/5153788312_f1f49bc1fb_z.jpg
photo by Matt

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4031/5153185727_83e522fe64_z.jpg
photo by Matt

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1246/5153167707_9140f7abe3_z.jpg
photo by Matt

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1211/5153776294_1440b48f6d_z.jpg
photo by coffeeboss

http://bbs.jtype.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=4669&d=1288478556
photo by Rob

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1096/5129855079_ae52c9bd7e_o.jpg
Pikachoose!

and my costume

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4048/5153176593_720130c255_z.jpg
photo by Matt

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4019/5153188397_6e6357fa84_z.jpg
photo by Matt

and the car theme

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4091/5153185469_6b2eafbfbe_z.jpg
photo by Matt

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1121/5144190628_b9c0b9c42c.jpg
photo by Matt

Bryan
03-14-2012, 10:10 AM
OMGSAKURACOSPLAY+UNSPACYDECALS

...and I'm spent.

BTW...you can buy scale replicas of the helmets :)

http://www.mech9.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/photo_04.jpg

http://www.mech9.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/hikaru-ichijo.jpg (http://www.mech9.com/blog/2009/09/macross-motorcycle-helmets-and-the-secret-latest-yamato-product/)

http://www.mech9.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/helmet.jpg

etikoner
03-15-2012, 12:56 AM
I remember reading that hakosuka build page by page a few years back. Really loved it.

Reggie
03-15-2012, 04:38 AM
OMGSAKURACOSPLAY+UNSPACYDECALS

...and I'm spent.

BTW...you can buy scale replicas of the helmets :)

http://www.mech9.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/photo_04.jpg

http://www.mech9.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/hikaru-ichijo.jpg (http://www.mech9.com/blog/2009/09/macross-motorcycle-helmets-and-the-secret-latest-yamato-product/)

http://www.mech9.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/helmet.jpg

I don't think those exist anymore and I needed an FIA certified helmet for the track anyway.

Reggie
03-15-2012, 04:42 AM
Birthday like no other experienced before
part 2

The day started with everyone trickling in small groups showing off their costumes and a few of us decalling the roadsters. (special thanks to Brendan and Melvin for organising the decals)

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x244/studio-ichiban/2010-10-30%20Reg%20and%20Matts%20Excellent%20Adventure/IMG_8692.jpg
stickerizing

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1189/5130453996_bf6d155a77_o.jpg
registration

once all have registered, we commenced the mandatory drivers briefing

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1050/5129875489_ff05c9b42a_o.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1180/5129879851_2158affcab_o.jpg

as part of the briefing, we did a tour of the track. This allowed everyone to get up close and familiarize each of its curvaceous corners.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1184/5153176909_f017810507_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4107/5153783694_df17910d20_z.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1161/5153784418_3a0ce3a864_z.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1324/5153178995_6abeba9e25_z.jpg

Reggie
03-15-2012, 04:42 AM
once all the formalities are completed, we hit the track

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x244/studio-ichiban/2010-10-30%20Reg%20and%20Matts%20Excellent%20Adventure/IMG_8856.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x244/studio-ichiban/2010-10-30%20Reg%20and%20Matts%20Excellent%20Adventure/IMG_8872.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x244/studio-ichiban/2010-10-30%20Reg%20and%20Matts%20Excellent%20Adventure/IMG_8722.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x244/studio-ichiban/2010-10-30%20Reg%20and%20Matts%20Excellent%20Adventure/IMG_8754.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x244/studio-ichiban/2010-10-30%20Reg%20and%20Matts%20Excellent%20Adventure/IMG_8865.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x244/studio-ichiban/2010-10-30%20Reg%20and%20Matts%20Excellent%20Adventure/IMG_8849.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x244/studio-ichiban/2010-10-30%20Reg%20and%20Matts%20Excellent%20Adventure/IMG_8837.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x244/studio-ichiban/2010-10-30%20Reg%20and%20Matts%20Excellent%20Adventure/IMG_8806.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x244/studio-ichiban/2010-10-30%20Reg%20and%20Matts%20Excellent%20Adventure/IMG_8768.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x244/studio-ichiban/2010-10-30%20Reg%20and%20Matts%20Excellent%20Adventure/IMG_9137.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x244/studio-ichiban/2010-10-30%20Reg%20and%20Matts%20Excellent%20Adventure/IMG_9100.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x244/studio-ichiban/2010-10-30%20Reg%20and%20Matts%20Excellent%20Adventure/IMG_9071.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x244/studio-ichiban/2010-10-30%20Reg%20and%20Matts%20Excellent%20Adventure/IMG_9034.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x244/studio-ichiban/2010-10-30%20Reg%20and%20Matts%20Excellent%20Adventure/IMG_9045.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x244/studio-ichiban/2010-10-30%20Reg%20and%20Matts%20Excellent%20Adventure/IMG_8858.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x244/studio-ichiban/2010-10-30%20Reg%20and%20Matts%20Excellent%20Adventure/IMG_8970.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x244/studio-ichiban/2010-10-30%20Reg%20and%20Matts%20Excellent%20Adventure/IMG_9096.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x244/studio-ichiban/2010-10-30%20Reg%20and%20Matts%20Excellent%20Adventure/IMG_8847.jpg
This pic doesn't give you a whole picture - EPIC battle between the Kev's Hako, Rob's Turbo NA8 and John's NB SP(aus turbo OEM). EPIC BATTLE IS EPIC.

The highlight for me is when Kevin took me for a ride in my car - he drifted it around the whole track. Everytime I think of it gives me a grin from ear to ear. She was back on her elements, and gave me a big suprise how much potential she has on the right hands. IT WAS EPIC, to bad a friend of mine overwritten the video of it - doh.

Most bestest birthday eva! :lol:

Bryan
03-15-2012, 08:54 AM
I don't think those exist anymore and I needed an FIA certified helmet for the track anyway.Bummer.

My points about the UN Spacy decals and cosplay still stand :)

revlimiter
03-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Everything Bryan said about the UN SPACY decals. OMGAWESOMESAUCE!

Willywongka
03-15-2012, 03:58 PM
Jesus... I love those decals!!!! Who isn't a fan of the Macross series?!

WASABI
03-16-2012, 10:34 AM
And I thought Crocodile Dundee and Steve Irwin made Australia look cool...This tops 'em both! Halloween track day = BRILLIANT!

Reggie
03-20-2012, 04:59 AM
thanks peeps...I really enjoy that day. I still have spare decals at home to re-live it. :)

Sunny Winter Driving

found myself making most of a glorious sunny sort of winter weather by visiting the PITS (Pie in the Sky) with some great company - Matt in his Roadsterlife NC and Kevin (aka Babalouie) in his mint 964.

We started at Pablo&Rusty's for a quick hot beverage.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3149/5871616494_661eb56099_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6030/5871053355_98a9288da2_b.jpg

Once we warmed our belly, we headed off for the freeway to escape suburbia and into the open road.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3220/5871630128_d83ae2a489_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6025/5871069935_4b521b7b85_b.jpg

We made a few pass along the Old Pacific Highway before we made our intended break at the PITS

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3256/5871727028_03ed57d9b3_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6021/5871077885_73db23da23_b.jpg

After devouring our scrumptious PITS pie, I found a way to burn some calories - take pics of my companions cars on all fours and work out the arms and legs.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3054/5871654346_46a925d001_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6004/5871648980_9f57ce15ce_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6032/5871064581_b0baeba16a_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3172/5871644710_af4c063ae3_b.jpg

I found that no matter what happened the night before, what time I got home that morning and how early we woke up....It is a good day, a roadsterlife day!

Reggie
03-24-2012, 05:32 AM
"Coco spread"

One evening while visiting Kevin at his Bab's Garage, he showed me this piece of work of a floor mat that he just received from the US. He needed new floor mats for his Porsche and found one while watching Jay Leno's stories in the Discovery Channel - the floor mat makers is Coco Mats. Coco Mats are made from coconut fibre and feels really tough.

Dealing with Coco Mat was really great, they were very prompt in reply and if they don't have a template for your car they will provide you a kit to help them make a template instead of some company just saying No. They will even send you a fabric samples as well in all the colours they carry. Anyway, enough of the sales pitch ;) , let the photo do the talking.

Coco Mats fits perfectly

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6078/6048892403_5c8920966f_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6192/6048892983_633a377a4a_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6065/6049446822_515669fd85_b.jpg

Reggie
03-26-2012, 05:01 AM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5225/5584868312_fe77649da9_b.jpg

Best enjoyed when the sun is out.

Reggie
04-08-2012, 07:23 AM
A few time lapse I took

she needed a wash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Zguwu0Iwg

Reggie
04-08-2012, 07:23 AM
typical night at Bab's Garage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geLe3VRw1jo

Reggie
04-11-2012, 06:15 AM
so the All Japan Day came to reality (after getting cancelled due to heavy downpour).

To prep her, she got her clay and wax plus some manicure on as well...LOL

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6042/6336451908_d7c19e3989_b.jpg

at the event, the weather was hot and so was she.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6113/6340172800_1ddf998753_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6056/6339992060_b05f8ac578_b.jpg

Ebony and Ivory

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6107/6343596028_9545d586c7_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6056/6343596340_b5249ddf2f_b.jpg

after the event, visited the parentals for some needed sustenance and she is still clean

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6057/6339253561_793e0591df_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6112/6340001146_f730a83efc_b.jpg

Bryan
04-11-2012, 12:31 PM
White NA's with Anthracite Wats...amazing combo.

Reggie
04-13-2012, 08:24 AM
hehhehee had to google that Anthracite...will be useful when I get the wheels fixed up and resprayed. thanks

Early Morning PITS

Started to plan for the day the night before by going to sleep around 9:30ish and setting the alarm for 5am so I can be at the PITS by the nominate 6:30 meet up.

Well, I got woken up by an SMS, and panickly looked at the message knowing what just happened. Phone time - 6:50am. BUGGAH!!!! forgot to set the alarm to "ON" and not just "WEEKDAY".

Hurriedly got changed, grab the camera, and jet off to the PITS. While on the way, I kept reminding myself - YOU ARE LATE BUT DON'T MAKE IT AN EXPENSIVE LATE! ie don't get caught speeding. Touch wood, got there safely with no incidents.

Anyways, by 7:50 I arrived at PITS. Gates were still closed but found a side entrance where I found Babalouie and another friend - both just got back from a clear early morning stroll through the Old Pac.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7007/6451486871_6ded517960_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7164/6451487971_61a0c27892_b.jpg

After a few jeers and apologies, the gate finally opened so we took our places before the two wheel masses swarm the PITS.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7148/6451492091_331c1d0a0f_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7171/6451493661_397a9f96a9_b.jpg

We settled to our table with Pies and Hot Drinks in hand.

It didn't take long 'till another roadsterlife contributor Taz stroll in to join us for breakfast.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7173/6451490769_9b91078231_b.jpg

As we chatter, one by one a TVRs makes an arrival. Must be a TVR meet.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7003/6451532747_2649404c79_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7167/6451533901_f377a9fb5e_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7166/6451535011_2d3b82431e_b.jpg

They surely got everybody's attention but the best is when a-not-so-elderly gent found the owner of the "Nissan" and complimented him for having the most unique piece of gear in the PITS that morning...more unique than the TVRs.

After a few more chatter, we head off South knowing that too many cyclist might find its way into our engines if we ventured North. Even our trip South was marred with cyclists 3 abreast in the middle of the road.

anyways, was a good morning for drive even though I didn't get to enjoy the rest of Old Pac.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7157/6451489321_9dd2830cb6_b.jpg

Bryan
04-13-2012, 08:47 AM
When I see "SMS" in this thread, I think of this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_yt6rZiXQUtw/S-AZrMZzw_I/AAAAAAAASgo/qRNUki9Wqk0/S660/macrossfrontierfd0.jpg

revlimiter
04-13-2012, 10:57 AM
LIKE. Everything. Wheels, cocomats. Everything.

Bryan
04-13-2012, 11:14 AM
LIKE. Everything. Wheels, cocomats. Everything.As do I.

WASABI
04-13-2012, 12:38 PM
LIKE. Everything. Wheels, cocomats. Everything.

As do I.

Ditto...It's a freakin' roadster nirvana!

Reggie
05-09-2012, 04:22 AM
2012....a new year....time to redeem myself from last year's poor effort of arriving an hour later than the allocated meet time at the PITS.

I set my alarm for 4:30am now that I live opposite to the PITS (more closer to Natio). Then a message from Babalouie to remind me to make sure I don't have the Crackberry set to "Weekday Alarm only" the night before, I was set not to disappoint.

As planned, I woke up at the intended time. After lazy start to the morning, I found myself all alone along the M7 at 5:30am.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7006/6672228727_c77d045ccf_b.jpg

As I continued on, leaving home 15mins later than anticipated and driving gingerly to PITS, I still found myself at the PITS 5 minutes earlier than expected.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7012/6672231227_f176d6d9dc_b.jpg

But around the corner, Babalouie with his "Porka" awaits my arrival.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7163/6672233633_d5f5c46f9b_b.jpg

After a few congratulation and pat-in-the-back for me making it on time this new year, we were eventually greeted by the Ali brothers.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7141/6672235931_c534fefa29_b.jpg

what an MR2, highlight for me is this brakes temp gauge
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7160/6672238733_38e0b53d77_b.jpg

The moment our last companion Rod made his arrival, we all hurried out as we knew a few cyclist have already made their way north of the Old Pac which might make the drive less enjoyable.

The drive north was a slow procession behind a VAN but nevertheless the return was all in 3RD -nuff said.

Back in the PITS, we decided to get some baller parking before the two wheel majority swarm the PITS.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7027/6672242285_f8baa8420a_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7172/6672247157_e4cb4edbc3_b.jpg

while the 4 chatted, I took some solo of each of our Steeds.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7172/6672251015_9b424a4eef_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7008/6672254491_9b5d8ecec0_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7144/6672257885_4258b163d8_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7033/6672261101_602d414b6b_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7162/6672264447_67e97dc897_b.jpg

All in all, we had a great day, great drive, great feed, and great company.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7161/6672267423_5923f92b5c_b.jpg

Welcome 2012!

Reggie
05-09-2012, 04:26 AM
URAD is rad

Finally got my ass off the iPad and see if I can install the Beatrush Underbody Tray - aka URAD (Underbody Radiator Air Deflector)

I bought the underbody tray from one of the members in Mx5cartalk. He bought it new but found that his turbo FMIC and hoses in his MX5 hits the tray. So he decided to sell it off and lucky me I managed to snapped it up fairly quickly as I've been wanting one for ages.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7245/6867086946_0e5f87bc06_b.jpg

Anyways, I've been procrastinating as I have a feeling that the GV lip I have will be an issue....well I guess wrong.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7269/7013158413_537d2563b7_b.jpg
My first task is to raise the car up in all fours. Thanks to Costco's lowered jack, an old wood ramp and the four stands I got her up in all fours.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7208/7013218321_85c2d1112c_b.jpg
This is the current underbody tray with a corner dangling like an opened pinata.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7240/7013193841_751968ba49_b.jpg
View through the gap on the GV lip.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7182/7013202591_b7fea324d2_b.jpg
Once I got the old underbody tray, I found that I only need to insert the URAD between the white bumper tongues and the plastic bumper tray.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7070/7013197869_40c888e1ff_b.jpg
Side by side with the old underbody tray and the Beatrush URAD.

The URAD is much longer and more pleasing to the eye...hopefully, it is not just an eye candy and actually help with lowering the engine temp (which I don't I have high temp to start with) and possibly act as a diffuser as well...maybe

One of the things I like about the URAD is that there are holes for me to access the Radiator fluid release screw, and the Oil sump screw. No more removing the tray every time I do a service. I have a feeling the old one also allows me to do that but I never bothered and remove it as the first step when working under the car.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7267/7013205351_4cf91af346_b.jpg
I originally just want to do a trial fit and put everything back but once I managed to get the URAD into those tongue..I may as well finish it off.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7040/6867096686_86ecc2e99a_b.jpg
All holes lined up pretty well, this URAD in well built. Only issue I found is that the OEM bolts were to short, so I was off to the local Bunnings to get some longer stainless bolts and washers.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7182/6867099802_42d0a29785_b.jpg
Once I've tightened the four front bolts and two bolts in the middle, URAD is now secured.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7275/6867098202_d0569083c4_b.jpg
View from the front

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7049/7013214877_97e40d494e_b.jpg
View from the wheel arch

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7262/7013216257_34e0b89364_b.jpg
View from the side.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7192/7013195517_4f35b79808_b.jpg
Also took this pic from the back prior to installing the URAD...Beatrush Diff Brace is not lonely anymore.

Emex
05-09-2012, 06:23 PM
WOW, keep up the awesome work, lovin this thread for sure!

etikoner
05-10-2012, 12:10 AM
Quality parts here. I love it. Did you sense a difference in engine bay temps and or driving feel after installing the BeatRush Tray?

Reggie
05-10-2012, 03:54 AM
Quality parts here. I love it. Did you sense a difference in engine bay temps and or driving feel after installing the BeatRush Tray?

Thanks. I haven't notice much yet..only driven her a few time since the tray was installed. What I did notice is the mess it makes when you do a change oil. Residue from the removal of the oil filter tends to spread along the back of the tray and drips randomly which is hard to catch...buggah.

One of the comment I usually get is if my engine bay a lot more dirtier with no side splash guard installed.

morr
05-10-2012, 10:07 AM
The BeatRush tray looks good! I'm very jealous of you and your friend's cars, they're all so cleanly modded.

Reggie
08-05-2012, 01:26 AM
Been quite here but trolling through friends' pics of my car

Taken by Matt Mead at a wet Club track day
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4107/4958237917_f0cc3c397d_z.jpg

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4092/4958238579_648b5afc7e_z.jpg

Taken by Matt Mead at a Club meet
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5221/5679013031_b143e53144_z.jpg

Night photography by Kelvin Ng

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4115/4849225922_d55723e7a4_z.jpg

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4118/4848617583_15cc6b9479_z.jpg

Demon I Am
08-06-2012, 09:28 AM
Damn, this is an awesome thread. Well-written with great pics!

tsingson
08-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Great story man. I'll definitely be reading this thread from now on.