PDA

View Full Version : Answered 1990 Miata

Bryan805
02-21-2012, 01:51 AM
Hey guys, im in need of money right now and if worst comes to worst, I may have to get rid of the miater
She's a red 1990, has 110k on her and has a clean title. Pretty low for the year. She hasn't given me any problems whatsoever. Since ive had her ive gone ahead and done the following

Engine and Tranny:
tranny and diff fluid 9k ago
CAS o ring 6k ago
CX racing Radiator 6k ago
new plugs and wires 10k ago
tsudo n1 exhaust

Exterior:
Rota Rb's 13x8 +4 curb rash on one wheel but not too crazy
Doral 185/70/13 with only about 2k on them so fairly new.
Go miata trunk rack
NB Spoiler
R package rear lip
TR front lip, missing a piece out of the front though
mudflaps all around, rears were cut pretty bad but not to noticeable
Robbins soft top with zippered plastic window
Eunos fender markers

Suspension:
MadtyteJDMyo Raceland coilovers with around 15k, removed from my previous miata. Helper springs removed as well.

Interior:
Blue Mooneyes steering wheel
Garage Star 3 inch shift extender
Nismo buttplug shift knob
Momo ebrake handle
Power windows
No cracks on the dash
small amount of stitching coming loose from the drivers side bolster.
Crappy JVC deck
Blown headrest speakers

Accesories:
Power Steering
Power windows
Cruise control
A/C, needs to be recharged.

Extras:
stock 1.6 exhaust
4 goodyear eagle slicks that I got from The Pass when I bought the Rb's off of him.
Egay strut bar
Boot cover
Brand new alternator belt
Brand new crank to PS belt, if you decide to remove the AC, I had planned on doing this but I havent gotten around to it.

Bads:
Paint could use a respray, doesnt look bad from about 20 feet away but when you start getting closer, you notice some paint chips. It might have been resprayed once in its lifetime, the paint chips reveal yellow paint underneath the red.

Front driver side fender has some bondo underneath the paint, it's cracking a little bit from rubbing.

Plastic window has some scratches on it but you can still see out of it fine.

Again, just trying to see what a good price point should be if I do decide that I have to get rid of her.

Bryan805
02-24-2012, 02:56 AM
Bump, anyone?

Bryan805
03-02-2012, 06:52 PM
bump!

WASABI
03-02-2012, 09:50 PM
She looks pretty good, a day worth of detailing her could help as well (wash, clay, wax, buff). I would say New England price would be around $2700-$3300. Tough to say with without interior shots, and without knowing how clean the underside is. I'm sure California prices would be different. Sorry you may have to sell her.

-Jim

na8cson
04-18-2012, 06:42 PM
I'd say around $2500 or so, with it being a short nose.

Bryan805
04-19-2012, 05:19 PM
Really? I think it's worth more than 2500, personally but thats why im coming here to ask.
The shortnose shouldnt be a problem as long as you take care of it the right way so that to me is an issue that is non existent. I think with it being fairly low mileage it could fetch more than 2500.

na8cson
04-19-2012, 06:18 PM
I think that the snc is an issue to lots of people. It is clean and in good shape.
When were the timingbelt/waterpump done?

I'm just saying that I would offer you $2500

I<3flippyheadlights
04-19-2012, 07:44 PM
And how many people with a Short nose crank do you know and how many have you driven? Don't let the SNC sway you from the car. If the timing belt/water pump job was done correctly, the crank will be fine. If it was going to fail otherwise it would of done it some time ago. But you do have to understand that the parts you put in you will not get out. What I would personally do is one of two things.
1. Take off the wheels (they look like they could get a good price) slap on daisies and sell the two things separably. You could get 3k for the car easy without the wheels, 3500 with them.
2. Sell it all together and bite the bullet. How bad do you need this cash and how fast? You can find the right person that will buy a Miata for 4k. (in florida at least)

na8cson
04-19-2012, 08:35 PM
I've known a few people with them. I've also owned 2 with the snc. Had an ok experience, then a bad experience.

Bryan805
04-20-2012, 12:56 AM
According to the PO, waterpump/timingbelt was done at 90k and I just hit 111k and no hiccups at all. Not sure if im in the position to sell it anymore but still, just in case I need to sell it id like to try and get a price out there. Just got a Hard dog hardcore double diagonal with a harness bar for it as well.

I've seen people posting miatas for CRAZY prices on craigslist right now, if anything ill just try and put a crazy price on it just to see if some kid will pony up the cash for it lolz

Ladymx5
04-20-2012, 02:18 AM
I just bought my 97 not to long ago with a hard top for 2500 but it was beat all to hell (everything wrong except rust) and has 187k miles. Bought it in the fall and just got it to pass emissions. Around here, that car wold be posted for 4k and not stick around long.

kung fu jesus
06-03-2012, 09:07 AM
Here's the deal...the low mileage is a plus. Without documentation (receipts) of the repairs, it really won't mean a lot to people BECAUSE of the SNC. If it was done wrong or by a shadetree mech, it will cause the wobble. If it was done right, they last as long as the other engines.

If you want top dollar, you need something more than a low mileage drivetrain and engine. The first few things that come to mind that are cheap to fix:

polish the paint - either get a polisher and spend a day cleaning, waxing and polishing the paint or pay to have it done. If you show you give a damn, people will appreciate that.

Clean the engine bay - no need to Armour-all it, that makes a lot of people suspicious. carefully clean it with some brushes and soapy water, wipe down with clean towels. DON'T powerwash it or hose it down. If you are inclined, cover the electronics in the engine bay and keep water off the valve cover.

This is all mostly just labor at this point.

Fix the seam in the seat. Using a curved upholstery needle and some thread, it's pretty easy to do.

Basically, make the car stand out. If you want exceptional money from it, and need to move it fast, you gotta put in the effort.

Get rid of:

steering wheel
shift knob
ebrake handle
shift extender

trade them out for OEM stuff or trade+cash. This isn't the kind of stuff people look for in a Miata demanding top-dollar.

Raise to car to something a little more speedbump friendly.

As is, $2500. Put some effort into it, maybe $3500.

These cars are REALLY common, so you know people are going to be able to shop a lot of them. You gotta ask yourself why poeple should buy it over the BETTER looking cars out there.

Bryan805
06-09-2012, 10:12 PM
Here's the deal...a lot of good info

Thanks a lot, KFJ! Have some thinking and some work to do if I do get rid of it, but thanks for the info!