PDA

View Full Version : Watanabe Lug Nut Choice

dnaha
10-09-2021, 01:36 AM
Hey all,

Have a bit of a specific question regarding lug nut fitment with the ARP extended studs.

I was wondering if the regular RS Watanabe Lug Nuts would work with my Type B Watanabes 14x6.5 +15 while running a 5mm spacer or if I would need the long version of the lug nuts. According to RHDJapan, the lug depth on the long version is 42mm compared to I believe 30mm for the regulars.

Any input/insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

HarryB
10-09-2021, 02:36 AM
You can back-calculate based on the length of the ARP studs vs the OEM ones. However, the safe bet would be the 42mm as there's no negative in them being longer, and they can facilitate longer studs.

atlex
10-09-2021, 05:07 AM
this is one of those odd ones. I love wat wheels but their nuts are nothing special to me. I think some duraluminum/7075 &/ open-ended nuts are far superior and the open-ended factor is essential on ARP extended studs. The nuts are a strictly performant part. They're going to see use whether you use impact guns or not.

kung fu jesus
10-09-2021, 06:12 AM
Actually, the Watanabe nuts have a sort of floating seat. They are more beneficial if you have magnesium wheels.

The only other similar lugnuts I found in Miata thread and pitch were Toyota TRD lugnuts.

I had those same wheels. Why do you need a 5mm spacer?

dnaha
10-09-2021, 02:33 PM
Actually, the Watanabe nuts have a sort of floating seat. They are more beneficial if you have magnesium wheels.

The only other similar lugnuts I found in Miata thread and pitch were Toyota TRD lugnuts.

I had those same wheels. Why do you need a 5mm spacer?

The previous owner had an NA6 and so the inner lip isn't machined for the NA8 brakes so have spacers to clear the brakes

dnaha
10-09-2021, 02:37 PM
this is one of those odd ones. I love wat wheels but their nuts are nothing special to me. I think some duraluminum/7075 &/ open-ended nuts are far superior and the open-ended factor is essential on ARP extended studs. The nuts are a strictly performant part. They're going to see use whether you use impact guns or not.

Any particular set that you recommend over the Watanabe ones?

You can back-calculate based on the length of the ARP studs vs the OEM ones. However, the safe bet would be the 42mm as there's no negative in them being longer, and they can facilitate longer studs.

That's what I was thinking but the shipping and price is quite a bit more for the long version of the lug nuts so I wanted to double check before/if I decided to take the plunge

kung fu jesus
10-09-2021, 07:44 PM
The previous owner had an NA6 and so the inner lip isn't machined for the NA8 brakes so have spacers to clear the brakes

Doesn’t matter. The caliper are the same, the brackets rotors and pads are different. I had 1.8 brakes on my NA6, no issues.

MaRcOp01o
10-11-2021, 08:32 AM
I run the 5X racing open ended lugs and they're amazing and very stealthy.