PDA

View Full Version : "Retro touch" for my fuel lid (while keeping my stock lid)

MiataLife
02-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Installed it yesterday..I know its not everyone's "cup of tea" but I like the way it came out.

Showed it to a few SOCM guys last night and it looks like I may be putting together a SMALL group buy on these....maybe.

But for now enjoy the below pictures!

http://mazdaroadster.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2346&d=1330278494

http://mazdaroadster.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2347&d=1330278503

phillyb
02-26-2012, 01:02 PM
that's retro?
that's like .125 retro

madufaku
02-26-2012, 01:39 PM
It looks fantastic! What kind of price do you think you'll be coming in at?

Agent☣Orange
02-26-2012, 02:04 PM
Pretty cool touch.

Phatmiata
02-26-2012, 11:56 PM
I bet if you polished that fuel lid like folks did the hoods it would look twice as nice!

MiataLife
02-27-2012, 12:06 AM
^ not a bad idea, I do have an extra lid so....... i guess that's my new project for this weekend..lets see how it looks.

thanks for the idea Phat!

R2Limited
02-27-2012, 12:52 AM
If the fuel lid didn't pop up by itself when you pulled the lever, I think it'd be cool. But the fact that it's a unnecessary functional element kinda kills it for me.

I'm curious as to how the fuel lid will polish up.

madufaku
02-27-2012, 04:15 AM
If the fuel lid didn't pop up by itself when you pulled the lever, I think it'd be cool. But the fact that it's a unnecessary functional element kinda kills it for me.

Well... to be fair, most of the good looking parts have no necessary "functional element." My RS Products pieces don't serve any better purpose than stock, but I paid for them with my first born because I like the way that they look. The trick is to keep the "first born" undocumented, so that they are worth more as a payment.
TO GET BACK ON TRACK WITH THAT, polishing the lid wouldn't be that great of an idea either. It's steel. Steel will polish nice, then it will become friends with moisture, which gives it surface rust. That will happen very quickly. Yes, you can clear coatf, but getting a clear coat to stick nicely to finely polished steel is about as difficult as giving yourself laser eye surgery with a laser pointer on the kitchen counter top while juggling those knives that the Sushi chef's use. A powder coated/baked on clear coat may work, but it's going to be a pain in the ass.

Phatmiata
02-27-2012, 09:06 AM
never took a magnet to it to check if its steel or aluminum, just assumed it was aluminum like the hood, oh well. :(

wongmic75
10-17-2012, 09:07 AM
Looks great! Another simple DIY!