PDA

View Full Version : Header wrap...yes, or no?

WASABI
03-22-2012, 09:50 AM
Last summer I purchased and installed an OBX stainless steel header (4 into 2 into 2).

http://www.fagerquist.com/miata/build/header 1.jpg

I have had it on and off the car 3 times for clutch replacement and new coolant hoses, and timing belt. Now that I have it off once again, should I wrap it? I am running a Racing Beat intake with K&N cone filter that is pretty close to the header and worry about heat sink to the aluminum intake. I'm not sure if wrapping it shortens the life of the metal, not that this header was terribly expensive; If I get three years out of it I'll be happy. Thanks.

-Jim

P.S. not as shinny, so no big deal to cover it.

I<3flippyheadlights
03-22-2012, 10:05 AM
I have asked the same question and have wrapped my new header (isn't in the car yet). Everyone who has a wrapped header says its worth it. Keep that heat away from the intake!

druz
03-22-2012, 01:47 PM
It will trap moisture and surface rust the stainless, but if you don't care about that then go for it.

adamvanxxx
03-22-2012, 02:14 PM
Always heard that it'll trap moisture and it'll rust. But I don't get how any moisture will stay on a 1000+ degrees surface, IF it even makes its way into the bay.

Do it. It's a cheap header anyways.

Edit: Never looked into it but this article has some info.

http://www.centuryperformance.com/exhaust-header-heat-wraps-do-not-use-spg-138.html

You could always just shield the things you want to keep cool from radiant heat, build a box, header heat shield, reflective tape, etc.

FWIW, I made a heat shield out of an old plate I had and the air box was cool to touch but with out I would burn my hand if I touched the bottom.

urban
03-22-2012, 02:26 PM
it Will trap moisture , and it will accelerate the metal corrosion. the obx is a fairly thin wall'd header as it is . just be prepared and not suprised .

with that said , i wrapped my obx and kept it on for just over a year , when i removed the wrap , the header was still in good shape. i wouldnt do this to mild steel , stainless only.
the benefits ? well im sure it helped. not like wrapping the hot side of a turbo that you can feel though.

adamvanxxx
03-22-2012, 02:30 PM
It seems in most things I read that it just fatigues the metal by overheating it. A lot of people probably associate the cracks and breakdowns of the metal to corrosion.

I could not see how any moisture would be able to stay there for very long at all.

atlnb
03-22-2012, 03:45 PM
could try a heat blanket instead if you're worried about corrosion. heard that works pretty well

ThatWhiteNA
03-22-2012, 07:42 PM
Would a header blanket work for this? Or is the one Track Dog Racing makes for oem manifolds only? I forget.

adamvanxxx
03-22-2012, 08:06 PM
It works with both aftermarket and OEM, not entirely sure how it mounts though..

adamvanxxx
03-22-2012, 08:07 PM
Side note: Why is the hose from the mixing manifold to the heater core not there?

atlnb
03-22-2012, 08:09 PM
RotornutFD3S has one. Someone can ask him

morr
03-22-2012, 08:15 PM
Would painting it with high temp/rust prevention stuff prior to wrapping do anything to fight corrosion? I know the moisture will still get in there, but it's another layer it'd have to get thru before reaching the header...

atlnb
03-22-2012, 08:19 PM
it might prolong it, yea..

WASABI
03-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Side note: Why is the hose from the mixing manifold to the heater core not there?

This was when I first installed the header. I had also purchased a new aluminum radiator and all new coolant lines as well. So the hoses were not installed yet.

WASABI
03-22-2012, 09:35 PM
Would painting it with high temp/rust prevention stuff prior to wrapping do anything to fight corrosion? I know the moisture will still get in there, but it's another layer it'd have to get thru before reaching the header...

This is why I asked. I have seen lots of people saying yes wrap/no wrap, paint the header then wrap, paint wrap with silicone after, and everything in between. I wanted to see if any of you guys have done it...if so what were the results.

-Jim

morr
03-22-2012, 09:48 PM
Yeah I've heard both arguments many times but never a definite answer. What about maybe putting one of those heat blankets over it and then a shiny heat shield on top of that?

djsqiigles
03-23-2012, 06:13 AM
it looks dope just do it

moerdogg
03-23-2012, 09:04 AM
A piece of metal for a radiation shield, like the OEM header, might be extremely effective. If the air in there is relatively slow-moving, most of the heat transfer to the intake would come from radiation off the hot metal.

Edit for clarity: By "in there" I mean "under the hood" not inside the header. The air inside the header is obviously hustling.

kung fu jesus
03-23-2012, 09:56 AM
I have had a TDR blanket on my JR header for a few years. Fairly simple installation. My header is coated. The blanket works very well for reducing the engine bay temps.

If you're so inclined, wrapping it is probably a cheaper option and it does have a nostalgic look to it.

urban
03-23-2012, 11:33 AM
definite answer.

it doesnt matter. it wont make your car faster . it will help break down the header over time , but you will never see the end result , cause you wont have it that long.
any coating , or finish, under the wrap will be burned off after a while . high temp paint wont last.

but it looks badass.

druz
03-23-2012, 11:41 AM
This is my RB after it was wrapped for a little while. Some parts of the primaries that were under the wrap are actually still shiny, whereas the collector and downpipe that weren't wrapped are completely surface rusted.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-TkaSr3OSpd0/T0MGR5TJ6II/AAAAAAAAASY/hI8B7bX5Uug/s800/IMG_7943.JPG

If I were to do it again I'd probably go blanket, but wrapping is cheaper and easier. If your EGT's aren't race car level I don't think you'll have to worry about it getting so hot as to cause fatigue. Then again it's OBX so I don't know about the quality of the material and welds.

xjdesertfox
03-23-2012, 11:45 AM
This thread is relevant to my interest.

My JR header is giving me hot foot in my gutted miata like crazy!

im gonna thermotec the outside of the tub along where the header runs, i was debating on whether or not to wrap the header as well, and maybe go with a blanket for the primaries.

atlnb
03-23-2012, 12:38 PM
Ive been thinking of wrapping my header and intake so this is interesting to me as well

adamvanxxx
03-23-2012, 12:45 PM
Heat tape your trans tunnel.

WASABI
03-23-2012, 02:24 PM
This is my RB after it was wrapped for a little while....I don't know about the quality of the material and welds.

Thanks for the picture. What is a little while? A couple years? AND, did you have the bottom tray mounted on your car? The reason I ask, is I wonder if the tray helps keep some day to day moisture out.

Here's what I'm thinking now:
1.) paint header with hi temp paint
2.) wrap header
3.) spray wrap with hi-temp silicone spray

ScarfaceThe91
03-23-2012, 02:32 PM
What would be the purpose of the hi-temp silicon spray? A water repellent?

atlnb
03-23-2012, 03:21 PM
A sealant to prevent slippage and prevent moisture to getting inside the wrap and accelerate corrosion

druz
03-23-2012, 03:28 PM
I bought it used and wrapped, it had it maybe a year of east coast use. Don't know about the tray.

RotorNutFD3S
03-23-2012, 03:33 PM
I have a TDR blanket on my OBX header in my '99, no problems for the two years it has been on there and it reduces the heat drastically in that area of the engine bay. It's supposed to bolt in place using the factory metal shield bolt holes, which the OBX doesn't have, but I formed the blanket around the header (it has metal edges that conform to however you bend them) and it's never moved.

Twibs415
03-25-2012, 01:59 PM
i have my oem manifold (94) iv cleaned out the welds and not welded it from the outside, then i painted it with vht, then i dunk the header wrap in water so when i wrap it its tighter, then started it up and watched the steam show. anyways. my header has been reliable no crack or rust or what have you for almost 2 years. i did re wrap it once cause it was starting to rip everywhere.

i think a lot of the "oh your header will break sooner" posts are from people who drive salted roads.

Frenchmanremy
03-27-2012, 10:48 AM
do it, because RACECAR!

atlnb
03-27-2012, 07:39 PM
Here's how to do it because RACECAR!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AXIurqcYco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muEzarjY7Fk&feature=related

WASABI
03-28-2012, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the videos atlnb. I bought the wrap (tan, 2"x50') and the stainless steel ties. I plan on cleaning, then painting the header with my BBQ paint (2000º) before wrapping. I still haven't decided on the top coat of silicone yet. This will be my weekend project!

-Jim

atlnb
03-29-2012, 11:30 PM
No problem Jim, be sure to let us know how it turns out

I<3flippyheadlights
03-29-2012, 11:39 PM
Say you didn't let the header wrap soak in water before wrapping.... would that be a bad thing?

atlnb
03-30-2012, 12:19 AM
eh, probably not bad bad but you wouldn't guarantee a tighter wrap. dipping it in water takes no time. esp if you have another car to let it dry properly

I<3flippyheadlights
03-30-2012, 12:22 AM
Well the header is wrapped and sprayed with the silicone stuff. I don't want to undo it all and dip it in water...

Willywongka
03-30-2012, 03:17 AM
This is my RB after it was wrapped for a little while. Some parts of the primaries that were under the wrap are actually still shiny, whereas the collector and downpipe that weren't wrapped are completely surface rusted.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-TkaSr3OSpd0/T0MGR5TJ6II/AAAAAAAAASY/hI8B7bX5Uug/s800/IMG_7943.JPG

If I were to do it again I'd probably go blanket, but wrapping is cheaper and easier. If your EGT's aren't race car level I don't think you'll have to worry about it getting so hot as to cause fatigue. Then again it's OBX so I don't know about the quality of the material and welds.

Would you happen to know how to remove the surface rust from the header? It seems my header was wrapped by the previous owner and partially removed when I bought it and it also has similar surface rust.

atlnb
03-30-2012, 11:10 AM
Well the header is wrapped and sprayed with the silicone stuff. I don't want to undo it all and dip it in water...

should be fine then. i wouldn't worry about it if it doesn't look like it's loose or anything

atlnb
03-30-2012, 11:10 AM
Would you happen to know how to remove the surface rust from the header? It seems my header was wrapped by the previous owner and partially removed when I bought it and it also has similar surface rust.

maybe just some CLR

urban
03-30-2012, 01:41 PM
polishing compound and a wheel

WASABI
04-02-2012, 01:56 PM
I was away last week on business, but now the headers off, degreased/washed, and painted with high-temp (1200º) black paint. Tonight I'll wrap her!

http://www.fagerquist.com/miata/build/tb 16.jpg

WASABI
04-02-2012, 10:18 PM
And then she was wrapped!

http://www.fagerquist.com/miata/build/tb 18.jpg

WOW, that was time consuming.

http://www.fagerquist.com/miata/build/tb 17.jpg

Tonight she dries, and gets installed tomorrow.

WASABI
04-05-2012, 01:44 PM
...but, not before she gets a final protective coating. A whole can of high temp silicone coating.

http://www.fagerquist.com/miata/build/tb 19.jpg

Once dry, this stuff is hard as a rock.

http://www.fagerquist.com/miata/build/tb 20.jpg

I will be installing it tonight. It has to cure at at least 400º, so I figure if I run the car for 15 minutes, I should be fine. I'll post final installed pictures tomorrow.

-Jim

bokehmon
04-05-2012, 07:37 PM
Do it out of the garage... it'll be smoking like hell for those 15 minutes. :lol:

WASABI
04-06-2012, 12:01 AM
Do it out of the garage... it'll be smoking like hell for those 15 minutes. :lol:

I didn't...and it DID! Holy crap did she smoke! I had to start it in the garage, just in case something went wrong, leak, noise, or such. I left the doors open, but, I'm a little high right now from the fumes. :blaugh2: She stopped smoking after about 20 minutes. I am putting together a DIY thread on the wrap process, in case others want to give it a go.

-Jim

atlnb
04-06-2012, 02:15 PM
was that video helpful?

WASABI
04-06-2012, 02:39 PM
was that video helpful?

The video was very helpful. For one, I was amazed at what a difference wetting the wrap makes. It absorbs quite a bit of water quickly (for being fiberglass) and stretches making a tighter wrap. After it dried for a couple of days, it was tight as a drum.

http://www.fagerquist.com/miata/build/tb 21.jpg

P.S. One note: Think twice before you attempt this in your kitchen. That fiberglass thread gets everywhere! Or, just wait for your wife to go to bed.:whistle:

WASABI
04-07-2012, 12:04 AM
And just one more of her installed!

http://www.fagerquist.com/miata/build/tb 23.jpg

jerjozwik
06-15-2012, 10:48 AM
sexy.

Agent☣Orange
06-15-2012, 11:06 AM
Wow WAS, that is an incredibly nice job!

Now give me that damned valve cover...

WASABI
06-15-2012, 12:12 PM
sexy.

Wow WAS, that is an incredibly nice job!

Thanks guys!!

She has been holding up great. The wrap seems to be working at keeping temps down, two months out. After a hard drive you can touch the wrap around the header pipes without getting burned.

I<3flippyheadlights
06-15-2012, 12:14 PM
I just got my wrapped headers on. After a hard drive love that I can touch my headers. Stuff is awesome

jerjozwik
06-15-2012, 12:22 PM
so engine bay temps reduced?

sexy AND functional!

Stealth97
06-16-2012, 09:57 AM
are those hose clamps actually holding up?

WASABI
06-16-2012, 03:05 PM
so engine bay temps reduced?

I'm not sure, in so much as I never took temps before under equal conditions. My main concern was the RB intake getting hot. I know it's not the most effective intake, but I have always liked the looks (and sound). On the road, she seems to keep cooler.

are those hose clamps actually holding up?

They are. I purchased stainless steel clamps, tightened them, cut off the excess, and then painted them with the black silicone spray that covered the wrap once they were dry.

iRoadster
06-16-2012, 03:21 PM
I have that same kitchen sink. :teehee:

I<3flippyheadlights
06-16-2012, 04:21 PM
They are basically metal zipties. I have them on, and my wrapped header is awesome. I don't feel heat sink anymore, but who knows.

etikoner
06-19-2012, 12:05 PM
Am I the only one who prefers to see headers un-wrapped? haha

I'm not sure, in so much as I never took temps before under equal conditions. My main concern was the RB intake getting hot. I know it's not the most effective intake, but I have always liked the looks (and sound). On the road, she seems to keep cooler.

The RB intake is probably one of the only intakes to actually make power.

iKhanh
08-05-2012, 03:49 PM
I was thinking about getting the APEXi Power Intake; do you think that would be any better than the RB one?

oh, and now that you've done the header wrap, how do you like it? would you do it again? and would you recommend doing it?

etikoner
08-07-2012, 11:45 PM
^ Apex Power intake is just a filter, and iirc they're actually one of the best ones you can buy for the money. (They actually filter debris, and flow nicely, too)

That filter combined with the rb tube should be nice!

Still debating on doing the header-wrap

atlnb
08-08-2012, 02:57 AM
I think it's worth doing. Hardest part is probably taking off the header lol

Gene Rodriguez
08-10-2012, 10:26 PM
the life of the headers will shorten since the head is packed inside the header wrap... great performance wise but it does shortens its life

afc2112
08-10-2012, 10:58 PM
Am I the only one who prefers to see headers un-wrapped?

Raises hand! I like seeing unwrapped headers.

I<3flippyheadlights
08-10-2012, 11:50 PM

unwrapped headers = awesome

Heat soak = eats monkey cock

iKhanh
08-11-2012, 01:21 AM
^ Apex Power intake is just a filter, and iirc they're actually one of the best ones you can buy for the money. (They actually filter debris, and flow nicely, too)

That filter combined with the rb tube should be nice!

Still debating on doing the header-wrap

yeah i was thinking about trying to get a hold of one of the RB elbow adapters, but was still considering if i wanted to get a front strut bar or not. i really want one though because it would point the built-in velocity stack forwards.

WASABI
08-11-2012, 06:10 AM
I think it's worth doing. Hardest part is probably taking off the header lol

On both my Miatas, it was easier than I thought (for New England cars). When I reinstalled the headers, I made sure to use copper anti-seize, so now the bolts come off no problem

Am I the only one who prefers to see headers un-wrapped?

I liked them unwrapped too...well for the first year. Then the shine, got less shiny, and the heat, got more heaty. Having done this, under hood temps still seem cooler, and the RB elbow doesn't get hot. I would do this again.

-Jim

Soledad
08-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Another vote for the header blanket. I bought the TDR one and I love it. The original version I had for a few years before I bought the newer, larger version that covers the secondaries as well. I have been kicking around the idea of wrapping my OBX ceramic coated 4-2-2 header and using the Header blanket as well.

tsingson
08-14-2012, 08:15 AM
I guess I am in the unwrapped header boat. I kinda like the non-mummified look.