PDA

View Full Version : Drift Charms anyone?

bullit09
03-27-2012, 09:14 AM
well title says it all if you have a drift charm post it!, heres mine

http://mazdaroadster.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2756&d=1332857451

http://mazdaroadster.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2755&d=1332857417

xjdesertfox
03-27-2012, 03:30 PM
People still do that?

urban
03-27-2012, 03:37 PM
its not a drift charm if you dont drift . its just gay . actually its gay even if you do drift.

Coupeloop
03-27-2012, 08:21 PM
omg GC8, WANT!

phantomxrider
03-27-2012, 08:49 PM
man I hate these things

adamvanxxx
03-27-2012, 09:07 PM
Yea I never really got this?

Coupeloop
03-27-2012, 09:27 PM
iirc, the reasoning behind this is that in Japan, cement mixers hang a metal bucket on the back to catch any excess from spilling on to the road.
so back then, owners of cars that are extremely lowered (shakotan) did the same to their vehicle. However with a much smaller toy/key chain sized bucket. kinda to show off to their friends how low their ride sits.

years later it has just turned in to people hanging anything on the back of their car.

I don't mind it if its correct (hanging a bucket) other than that its all wrong, but not my car so whatevers. The only part that bugs me is when people do certain things but don't understand the background of it.

adamvanxxx
03-27-2012, 09:42 PM
The more you know...

The Platypus
03-27-2012, 10:01 PM
its not a drift charm if you dont drift . its just gay . actually its gay even if you do drift.

Urban. Can this be my new sig? It made me laugh so hard because it was exactly what I was thinking.

bedheadben
03-28-2012, 01:58 AM
This thread is going nowhere fast.

bullit09
03-28-2012, 08:27 AM
It seems to me this could be the actual origin of the drift rings. as for the thread obviously you cant take this too siriously I mean I have fn bananas hanging from my car its just for fun and i have seen a few pictures on here of cars with these on just thought it would be fun to see what people put and yes i do drift at my local track. just bought a go pro will be able to supply footage as soon as its warm enaugh and they open the track

Japanese Subway Train Rings
http://www.japanesenostalgiccar.com/...r=asc&start=15

Hmm I think I can help with this topic. I grew up in Yokosuka Japan, was there from 1979 to 1987. I sorta lived the whole train handle deal. I think different folks did it for different reasons but I recall it originating with the need to demonstrate how 'Crazy" of a driver you were. It was kind of a Japanese boso mentality thing and may not translate well... I started seeing train handles inside cars periodically when I first arrived in Japan and they became more common as time went on. The message a train handle sent then was "the driver is so damn crazy that handles are needed" and it also sent the message you had the balls to actually snag a handle from a train. Pretty rebellious stuff for the time. There were a few different ways to show you were a player on the streets: one small purple light under the back of a car was a sure sign, as were train handles in the window. My recollection is that the handles eventually moved outside so it was more obvious you were a rebel/racer/player and the handles wouldn't get you hassled by the cops like a purple light would. I actually still have my OG train handle that was acquired from a train in 1984, and did time in my Skyline:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3010/2707101039_6d025b1b09.jpg

I have been lurking here for a while now as I am considering buying an older Japanese car for a project...

adamvanxxx
03-28-2012, 09:47 AM
Now this has been offically changed to japanese car culture thread.

Coupeloop
03-28-2012, 10:15 AM
Now this has been offically changed to japanese car culture thread.

seriously... If it was i'd jump on to the symbolism behind the fusa knot that are always hung off the mirror on VIP cars
http://ll.speedhunters.com/u/f/eagames/NFS/speedhunters.com/Images/Dino%20Dalle%20Carbonare/JUNE2009/JP-LS460/JP-LS460-077.jpg

adamvanxxx
03-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Do tell.

CeeJaayDM
03-28-2012, 12:13 PM
drift charms are cute

RyanxStorey
03-28-2012, 12:49 PM
My drift charm is my exhaust that hangs too low.

bullit09
03-28-2012, 12:55 PM
Do tell.

I am curious as well

Coupeloop
03-28-2012, 09:29 PM
most of it is old religion/tradition. there are many different views on what they really mean. simply put as actual religious charms.

for the pretzel shaped one. pretty much to to ward off evil spirits
as hung outside of an entrance of a temple/shrine
http://www.mellowmonk.com/images/tsubaki_shrine.jpg

The smaller one with the multiple knots and tassels are called Fusa, or a simpler rendition of it is the kiku. (sometimes found on samurai helmets as well)
It is more of a good luck charm. supposedly a rendition of the buddist mystic knot. Which has no end like the wisdom of buddha.

However another story is that it brings wealth. Farmers in the past pray for clouds and rain to bring a good harvest (the knots represent the clouds, and the tassels are the rain). So they're charms hung by the owners on their cars to bring in more wealth. which kind of ties in to why do VIP cars do that (the whole yakuza/organized crime money making kinda thing)

I<3flippyheadlights
03-28-2012, 09:48 PM
This thread is blowing my mind

adamvanxxx
03-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Mods change the title cause this shit just got interesting.

Care on explaining the whole Bosozoku thing?

The Platypus
03-28-2012, 11:01 PM
As Wikipeda describes the word Bosozoku:
Bōsōzoku (暴走族, “violent running gang”) is a Japanese subculture associated with motorcycle clubs and gangs.
So, Bosozoku style cars should best be described as the cars driven by the Japanese gangs. This is partly true of course, but a lot of people actually like the Bosozoku styling as well eventhough they are not a member of a gang…
The zoku part in the word indicates it is about a gang. A lot of people use Boso as a word to indicate this style to not refer as the gang cars but the use of the word Boso would not make sense: violently running cars??
A lot of people also use the zokusha designation which is widely used in Japan. Sha means car so literally it translates into gang-car. So in other words zokusha is the best describing word for the bosozoku style cars.
The Bosozoku style is often referred to with a lot of different names:
Shakotan
Yanky style
VIP style
Kyusha style
Grachan

Taken from http://www.bosozokustyle.com/what-is-bosozoku/

Page is pretty interesting actually.

urban
03-29-2012, 01:23 AM
Does this mean drift charms are not gay any more

hybridtoaster
03-29-2012, 01:43 AM
gay

gay

gay

Is this some horrible California trend, or just bigotry?

urban
03-29-2012, 01:49 AM
Sorry if i affend you . its more of a slang thing for me . we are definately gay friendly in Cali . so you ll be welcomed.

hippari
03-29-2012, 02:15 AM
we are definately gay friendly in Cali . so you ll be welcomed.

I don't know if it was okay for me to laugh at that or not.

xjdesertfox
03-29-2012, 03:27 AM
I don't know if it was okay for me to laugh at that or not.

this.

Boris
03-29-2012, 05:30 AM
Hey, how about them ultra cool dudes with CD's hanging from their rear view mirrors ?
Apparently it scares off police radar beams.

Yep.