PDA

View Full Version : NA Some Recent Leakage Issues

diabeetus
04-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Recently I have been noticing a couple changes in the way my roadster runs. I know for sure I have a leak. I see the damn puddle in my garage every day. I thought it was oil (still do) but on the other hand, my shifter is getting extremely hot, and its not from the heat outside, I can tell the difference. what could cause the shifter to get so hot? possible transmission leak? also, when i shut the ignition off it seems to kind of die hard. it doesnt just shut off quietly and smooth like it used to. it shakes the whole car for a split second.

i have been topping off the engine oil but the amount im having to put in there doesnt seem to match up AT ALL with the amount i see in the garage after one night, not to mention the amount it leaks under pressure on the road.

any thoughts under any of the above statements are appreciated.

thanks,
diabeetus

psulja
04-03-2012, 07:36 PM
The shifter getting really hot could be the torn dust boots letting in more heat. But to be safe, check the transmission fluid level by taking out the fill plug and putting your finger in there to see if there is any fluid, should be filled right up to the fill hole. If there isn't any that you can feel you could just drain what's left and refill and keep an eye on the levels.

The reason the puddles might not be matching how much is missing is that there is probably a good chance you are burning some of the oil off too, especially in a 22yo car, but to check for leaks, clean the bottom of your engine & transmission with brake clean and after a day or two crawl under and see where there is fluid coming from, that'll help you narrow it down at least.

WASABI
04-03-2012, 09:03 PM
Sheez, it could be many different things. Not knowing the maintenance history of the car, means these are all shots in the dark. But, I agree with shifter boots. The two of them seem to always need to be replaced together, as they are always ripped. I also agree about the tranny fluid. Check that with psulja's instructions above.

Have you put in a new clutch, or changed out any oil seals? CAS o-ring? If so, they could be the culperate, if not, again, they could need replacing.

Just to add one thing to psulja's cleaning comment. After she's clean and dry, put a large piece/s of CLEAN cardboard under your car at night (from nose to rear bumper). Make note where your tires are, because, where your oil is leaking from can help narrow down what's wrong, and what's leaking. Also, color of the fluid can help.

-Jim

kung fu jesus
04-03-2012, 10:09 PM
Gear oil has a really pungent smell, far different than motor oil.

I truly hate the smell of gear oil.

Anyways, I echo the busted shifter boots. Take out the shifter and see if the turret has enough/any oil in it. If the lower boot went out, it could spill out.

diabeetus
04-03-2012, 10:18 PM
hmm. all great ideas. about 2 months ago roughly i drained all the tranny oil and refilled it along with the turret (which was bone dry) which is why i am a little thrown off; i feel like the reason the shifter has been getting so hot would have something to do with maybe the transmission running dry. i made sure everything was torqued properly. hopefully i didnt mess something up. i have a feeling it is the CAS o rings that need to be replaced, but i have been putting it off for a little too long. ill clean up the under side and and pay closer attention to what might be happening. ill keep this updated.

thanks for the help!

diabeetus

psulja
04-03-2012, 10:23 PM
If you recently changed the transmission fluid just double check the fluid level to make sure it's up to the fill hole.

What condition are your rubber shift boots in?

kung fu jesus
04-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Run your fingers along the back of the head, under the CAS. If it is moist, you found a leak. If your rear main seal is leaking, oil will be all over the underside of the car, especially the tranny. There is a weep hole in the tranny housing to let it escape.

If there if oil on the bottom of the engine, towards the front, that is most certainly the cam and or crank seals. You can remove the upper timing belt covers to check the cam seals.

diabeetus
04-04-2012, 01:31 PM
If you recently changed the transmission fluid just double check the fluid level to make sure it's up to the fill hole.

What condition are your rubber shift boots in?

oh yeah, when i check the turret fluid level, the boot seemed fine. no cracks or obvious damage.

Run your fingers along the back of the head, under the CAS. If it is moist, you found a leak. If your rear main seal is leaking, oil will be all over the underside of the car, especially the tranny. There is a weep hole in the tranny housing to let it escape.

seems easy enough. ill give it a go

WASABI
04-04-2012, 01:56 PM
oh yeah, when i check the turret fluid level, the boot seemed fine. no cracks or obvious damage.

"BOOT" or "BOOTS" I'm sure you know there are two. And, check em good, because the can split along the folds, and appear to be fine, until you turn them inside out, and about.

Of course, this doesn't explain why your car is running rough, and shutting down in such a way. I have no idea on that one. Are the plugs & wires good?

-Jim

xjdesertfox
04-04-2012, 02:11 PM

If there if oil on the bottom of the engine, towards the front, that is most certainly the cam and or crank seals. You can remove the upper timing belt covers to check the cam seals.

Lol, my car leaks from all of these places >_<

kung fu jesus
04-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Same boat. I know my rear main leaks. :l

George
04-04-2012, 04:45 PM
I don't like this thread...

diabeetus
04-04-2012, 04:52 PM
^haha! i guess i dont like this thread either, but its better than not knowing. at least for me. looking like the rear main seals, and the CAS o rings. the trans is good. all topped off. i will check the boots in a bit, but not at this moment. this info was incredibly helpful i will handing out some cred or whatever its called here shortly

diabeetus
04-04-2012, 04:53 PM
the "cred" button is gone. :|

psulja
04-04-2012, 06:16 PM
Yep :( Replaced by the iTrader system. Good luck with finding out what's going on.

WASABI
04-04-2012, 06:20 PM
I was just thinking "Boy, I miss those green cred bars above my name". I used them all the time.

-Jim

diabeetus
04-04-2012, 10:54 PM
oh yeah and a little while ago i checked the top shift boot and it was in terrible condition. guess i didnt really pay attention to it when i was filling the turret. so that could be one of the reasons the shifter is getting to extreme heat? like too hot to touch. the shift knob (pool ball) get warm but not too terribly hot like shift lever