PDA

View Full Version : Blinking third brake light

Agent☣Orange
04-22-2012, 11:22 AM
I was going to do a How-to on a DIY blinking third brake light that uses an old school flash module from Autozone. It's nothing new but a few people ask me about what parts to buy and how to wire it. In a nutshell, you just cut the positive (+) wire going to the third brake light bulb and insert this into the circuit. Cheap, simple and uses the stock bulb. Drawback? It is slow and mechanical.
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa375/YellowYata/Lighting/Flashing%20third%20brake%20light/ccd21346.png

Recently, solid state flash modules have entered the market that supercede the old tick-tock flasher mod but most of them require the purchase of an LED bulb to function.
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa375/YellowYata/Lighting/Flashing%20third%20brake%20light/df7288d3.jpg

This next evolution takes it a step further in simplicity, parts and cost. It's just a flashing, direct-replacement LED bulb. This one is a 3 watt SMD mounted in a 320-degree mount so it's much much brighter and noticeable than a standard incandescent bulb and should last much longer. Because it is only a third brake light, there is not need for a load balancer such as needed when replacing turn signal bulbs with LED.

No need for a complicated DIY about wiring nor the cost of a flash module or wiring. Just buy this:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2Fx3w-fl.htm#photos

*The Miata uses a 1156 bulb for the third brake light

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa375/YellowYata/Lighting/Flashing%20third%20brake%20light/a9264fe3.jpg

Tekel
04-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Thanks. I will probably do this. I get nervous a lot that people are looking over me a lot so when stopped at an unexpected spot I will pump my brakes to make sure people see me.

Agent☣Orange
04-22-2012, 12:36 PM
You can't be too safe, especially in a Miata people don't seem to notice. I used to pump my brakes too but a blinking LED sure eliminates that chore.

jnshk
04-22-2012, 11:58 PM
*The Miata uses a 1156 bulb for the third brake light

Not sure which years use an 1156 for the third brake light, but NAs use a 912/921 wedge bulb.

xjdesertfox
04-23-2012, 11:00 AM
Not sure which years use an 1156 for the third brake light, but NAs use a 912/921 wedge bulb.

This.

brownie
04-27-2012, 06:13 AM
Get the LED boot light as well ,A shit load brighter than the standard bulb type,dead easy to fit,Considering getting the Pulse brake light setup for this as well,Moss has them and they are setup not to piss people off too much

Agent☣Orange
04-27-2012, 06:36 AM
Thanks for the info.

Get the LED boot light as well ,A shit load brighter than the standard bulb type,dead easy to fit,Considering getting the Pulse brake light setup for this as well,Moss has them and they are setup not to piss people off too much
Brownie, what you call the boot light is what we call the "third" brake light which is what this thread's about. There are more expensive options like the one you posted; a complete LED, third brake light replacement. That is cool but I just wanted to present an inexpensive bulb replacement. BTW, that single bulb is a 3w SMD which makes a standard bulb look like dying candle.

ThatWhiteNA
04-27-2012, 08:22 PM
Isn't having a flashing red (or blue, green, etc...) light on a non-official vehicle technically illegal? I've always been told that it is. I saw some doucher with flashing red interior/exterior accessory lights get stopped by a policeman who was on foot at a local cruise night. A flashing third brake light may not get negative attention from police, but it's worth looking into. I'm not up on my laws/statues, so don't quote me.

SM16RMSM
05-01-2012, 01:36 PM
Actually, it is illegal to have any flashing lights other than hazard. Florida law states that there shall be no red or blue flashing light or solid color red or blue on the front of the car. This would let the third light to flash. BUT according to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration which is higher law over state law, S5.5.10 "All stops lamps are wired to be a steady burn". So technically speaking, its not allowed to flash. Mercedes-Benz tried to get away with it and applied to allow there cars to flash the third light to flash under extreme conditions, like extreme braking or an accident, but it was denied. As for bikes, I don't know if they are allowed, since they only have one lamp. They could fall under a different law.

Agent☣Orange
05-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Yeah, not sure about laws. I think the little third brake light flashing three times before steady on won't fool anyone into thinking the Miata is a police car or ambulance. I'm sure if it makes sense or provides more safety, it's illegal.

SM16RMSM
05-01-2012, 03:07 PM
If it blinks 3 times and goes steady, I think it will be fine. It it a constant blinking, than I can see it as illegal.

f86sabjf
05-27-2012, 05:46 AM
so that little led light does the 3 flash thing and goed solid or is it constant flash??? never mind i can read:fp: must have scanned right over it the first time