PDA

View Full Version : What cams to get? 92, 1.6, ms, fuji racing

Kolbotn
04-23-2012, 01:56 PM
Hello, i own a 92 1.6 and im going to put on a set of ITBs (fuji racing), and to Get a bit more power out i am also upgrading to a set of aftermarket camshafts, preferable 264s.
I daily my car and so im after a setup that is reliable and does not require exchanging oem lifters/valves/valvesprings (although, further head-work might take place once i Get another DD in The distant future).

I have tried searching, but there does not seem to be a lot of info on The subject, therefor i am asking.

Andy
12-06-2012, 11:34 PM
I also want to know.

Blueiii
12-07-2012, 06:42 AM
Cams don't seem to be as popular a modification on a miata as in the muscle car / Honda world. . .

SM16RMSM
12-07-2012, 08:02 AM
Cams don't seem to be as popular a modification on a miata as in the muscle car / Honda world. . .

I find that anyone running the ITB are always looking for better cams. I never been able to find the right numbers. If you go turbo or natural, the MSM intake cam is basically the item to have if your into cams.

You can find them here and there. There is one for sale here on this forum right now. I don't think he sold it yet.

Look around and search up the Mazdaspeed Miata (MSM for short) intake cam. You will find many threads on it.

Wait, this thread was started in 4-23-12 :shock:

O'well

Cheerio Chaps

tsingson
12-07-2012, 09:15 AM
Wait, this thread was started in 4-23-12 :shock:

O'well

Cheerio Chaps

Hey it's cool. He may have never had his question answered.

Stoly
12-07-2012, 11:14 AM
OP has a 1.6L which really limits his options, especially since he wants to avoid as much head modification as possible. MSM cam won't work as that is for a 1.8L head. Integral Cams was really the best option; however, Steve sold the company in 2010 and moved to Alaska. The rumour is that Megacycle Cams has everything from Integral. I checked their website but didn't see anything listed for the Miata. Might at least be worth a call to see if they are in the Miata business yet.

www.megacyclecams.com

Phatmiata
12-07-2012, 11:25 AM
also try http://www.maruhamotors.co.jp/ as they still make cams for 1.6L as well, but get them while you can, most of this 1.6L stuff is getting harder to find as the 1.6L is now 20 years old.

maharaj
12-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Another option is to call cam companies directly such as Comp or Crane. They will need to know a lot of information about the car such as compression ratio, rim and tire size, head size etc. They usually have something good for what you want to do off the shelf or can grind one for you.

DK Wolf
12-29-2012, 02:35 PM
All the miata guys out here use Toda. And rightfully so.

http://www.todaracingusa.com/catalog/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=91

maruhamotors is also super dope.
I think cams are lame as pudenda on a miata

Phatmiata
12-30-2012, 06:07 PM
Hello, i own a 92 1.6 and im going to put on a set of ITBs (fuji racing), and to Get a bit more power out i am also upgrading to a set of aftermarket camshafts, preferable 264s.
I daily my car and so im after a setup that is reliable and does not require exchanging oem lifters/valves/valvesprings (although, further head-work might take place once i Get another DD in The distant future).

I have tried searching, but there does not seem to be a lot of info on The subject, therefor i am asking.

These Integral Cams, Integral Cam Gears just came up on the market recently!

http://www.tampabaymiatas.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13080

Kolbotn
12-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Hey, Thank you for The reply, i bought some cams for The 1.6, about 8 months ago, OEM mazdaspeed 256, but i sold them again because im selling The mx-5.

Jimmy Vee
03-21-2013, 09:25 PM
Would there be a noticeable difference between the Maruha 252/8.5 IN 256/8.5 EX (with Maruha cam gears and belt) and the Toda 256/8.5 IN 256/8.5 EX (with Toda cam gears and belt) on a 1.6 with AE101 quad throttles and MS2? and is there any other benefits of one over the other?

I'll probably go with the Maruha, but there is only $30 difference between the Maruha shipped from Rod and the Toda from Perfectrun so if the Toda are a signifgant improvement I'll go for them.

AMMendes
03-24-2013, 05:17 AM
I have a new exhaust cam 256 from HKS, as i got this from a great deal, and i'll probably will sell as i'm going to sell the car.
If you already have ITB, MS, in my opinion i'll try to find some more hardcore cam's as the 256 are the first option.