PDA

View Full Version : NA8 to NA6 gauge cluster help

bthai
05-07-2012, 09:25 AM
so recently i did a dashboard swap on my miata
i have a 1990 miata with a 1.8L
the dash came from 1992
currently my tachometer, oil pressure and water temp does not work.
a little bit of research, ive found that behind the golve box, theres a connector plug behind it (the male connector has a foam wrap, female doesnt) well i left that unplugged when reinstalling because it wouldnt fit. the plugs looked liked it was mirrored (can provide pics if needed)
what i need to know, is this the problem? if so, how can i get it to connect, it just doesnt fit, is there some sort of adapter piece I can get?

Phatmiata
05-15-2012, 08:55 PM
No that is probably the light for the factory rear defroster, the problem is because the oil gauge from 90-93 was a real gauge, and from 94 up was just a false gauge that really doesnt do much.

You will have to replace the oil gauge as well as the sending unit for this to work properly.

jnshk
05-15-2012, 11:08 PM
You may find this thread useful: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?1620-Gauge-Cluster-Differences-Throughout-the-Years

And if you spot any more differences, please add a note to the thread for others!

EDIT: I just re-read your original post. I have no idea about the connector located behind the glove box. Your best bet would be to perform a continuity test between pins on that connector and the pins on the connector that plugs directly into the cluster. If indeed it is a match, you'll need to either:
- (A) Identify, cut, and splice the wires directly together. (Meh... but easiest solution.)
- (B) Identify, cut, and splice the wires from one half of the connector to the pigtail from the earlier dash or a later car. Suggest modifying the dash harness, not the car harness. (Not too bad, relatively easy.)
- (C) Identify, de-pin a connector, re-pin the terminals into the correct style connector from the old dash or car. This will only work if they use the same quantity and style of pins though. (Good, if it will work and if you can get your hands on a decent pick or de-pin tool.)
- (D) Get donor pigtails from another dash and another car and make your own adapter harness (If you can actually obtain the connectors... Yay!)

fitftw
05-16-2012, 06:50 AM
I put a 1.6 dash into my '96. When I started the car after installation, tach didn't work. I plugged that connector behind the glovebox and my tach worked again...look for the 2 parts that fit together...

As a side note, there was a grounding wire also in the dash harness on the passenger side. I forgot to hook it up to the chassis and so my passenger headlight was shorted out until I realized that...

Wait, you have a 1990 Miata...and you bought the same kind of dash you already have? I'm so confused. You never had a 1.8 dashboard installed in your 1990, right? Wtf did you do? Why 2 of the same dash?

Maybe the dash you bought has a 1.8L dash harness and you need the 1.6L harness? Or vice versa? I have a complete 1.6L harness if you need one.

rikaro
05-30-2012, 04:09 PM
No that is probably the light for the factory rear defroster, the problem is because the oil gauge from 90-93 was a real gauge, and from 94 up was just a false gauge that really doesnt do much.

You will have to replace the oil gauge as well as the sending unit for this to work properly.

i'm pretty sure the 94 still had the "real" oil pressure gauge, it's the 95 and up that are different leaving the 94 the only 1.8 with a real oil press

Silver92B
06-07-2012, 11:02 PM
so recently i did a dashboard swap on my miata
i have a 1990 miata with a 1.8L
the dash came from 1992
currently my tachometer, oil pressure and water temp does not work.
a little bit of research, ive found that behind the golve box, theres a connector plug behind it (the male connector has a foam wrap, female doesnt) well i left that unplugged when reinstalling because it wouldnt fit. the plugs looked liked it was mirrored (can provide pics if needed)
what i need to know, is this the problem? if so, how can i get it to connect, it just doesnt fit, is there some sort of adapter piece I can get?

'90 & '92 have the same dashboard. Why did you change it for the same thing? Also, since they are the same, all your connectors should match and plug directly. Just get back in there, look around and find the matching pieces. You'll be good to go (except maybe for the oil gauge).