PDA

View Full Version : Gearhead Miata Club Drive - Dawn Patrol

minuteman048
05-10-2012, 11:12 AM
Ok the Gearheads have been around for just under 2 years now and would like to open up one of our favorite drives to other clubs and enthusiasts especially to the Tampa and Orlando Clubs who we normally get together with. If you are not a morning person pass on this one. We are planning a group drive from Port Charlotte to the Sebring Racetrack on Saturday morning 5/26/12 meeting at 6:30 AM at the 7-11 off of exit 170 on I-75 and leave about 6:45 AM just before sunrise. Its Memorial Day weekend so lets have some fun. Our buddy Yellow Yata just went on his first run and had a blast. One of our members had his Dad photograph us from a small plane.

Here's a link to our website with some aerial photgraphs:

http://www.gearheadsmiataclub.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=726&start=90

Here's a Youtube video from last fall:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJQbSrvrm7M

The route takes you through some real ranch and orange grove back country with some of the best twisties that Florida can offer with a couple of challenging 10 & 15mph turns. The roads are empty and cool and everyone that has gone loved it. As a club we do it on a monthly basis and when we get to Sebring we have breakfast at the Airport Runway Restaurant which is right next to the Race Track. From there you can hang out at the racetrack for a while and watch what is running the track for track day events.

We do this on a monthly basis so let us lnow if you are interested in joining us this Memorial Day weekend.

Phatmiata
05-10-2012, 12:51 PM
This sounds like a lot of fun! Are there any "pick-up" points along the way near Tampa, Lakeland, or Orlando where you guys could have a 15 Minute pit stop for the other areas to meet up with you?

minuteman048
05-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Actually we head right into No-Mans-Land inland from the point of departure. It's about an hours drive total but almost all back roads travel except for a short stint on Highway 17 north of Arcadia in Desoto County. The final leg is Highway 66 heading into Sebring which is also patrolled where we throttle back.

I know it's a long drive for you guys but worth doing it at least once. About a year and a half ago I did some Lake County early morning drives with some of you guys out of Sanford and had to get up and leave in the wee hours of the morning. Our members are mostly from between Naples and Sarasota. Enjoyed many of the Tampa/Orlando events and feel this is one way of giving something back something to the clubs that welcomed us.

Agent☣Orange
05-10-2012, 03:42 PM
I think if the question is if we could coordinate a meetup point and a little time to meet another club and then proceed with a drive together, we'd certainly be willing to.

Phatmiata
05-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Yes, we used to do this with the southern and northern FL clubs when driving to the gap, or the Rspeed open house. South FL clubs would meet Tampa on the I-4 / I-75 exit, and travel noth to meet with the Orlando Miata Club, and then onto the Jacksonville Miata Club, etc. Pretty cool to watch the caravan grow at each city.

At the Rspeed open house we brought about 70 Miatas in a caravan, pretty damn cool to see!

minuteman048
05-10-2012, 06:28 PM
Yes, we used to do this with the southern and northern FL clubs when driving to the gap, or the Rspeed open house. South FL clubs would meet Tampa on the I-4 / I-75 exit, and travel noth to meet with the Orlando Miata Club, and then onto the Jacksonville Miata Club, etc. Pretty cool to watch the caravan grow at each city.

At the Rspeed open house we brought about 70 Miatas in a caravan, pretty damn cool to see!

That sounds very cool! When are you doing an Rspeed run again?

For a Dawn Patrol drive, definetly a night ops meet. No traffic!

afc2112
05-11-2012, 01:12 AM
Too bad you're doing it early morning on a Saturday. I don't make it home from work until 3am on Saturdays...

And while I'm a night owl and an early bird, there's just no way that's going to happen.

minuteman048
05-11-2012, 06:28 AM
We drive that early to assure the roads are empty to avoid local traffic, farm tractors, orange grove trucks and LE.

Agent☣Orange
05-11-2012, 08:32 AM
The fog banks were pretty cool to drive through as well.

Hyper
05-11-2012, 10:11 PM
You guys never come down to Miami. How about a trip to Key Biscayne or South Beach??

Agent☣Orange
05-11-2012, 10:14 PM
Not opposed to that.

minuteman048
05-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Preferably during the cooler weather months. A daytime event in the summer Florida heat is not appealing. Yata and I went to a Miami event a while back and next time hope to bring more Gearheads.

minuteman048
05-18-2012, 08:03 AM
OK, if anyone wants to join us we will be leaving on Saturday morning MAy 26th at 6:30 AM meeting at the 7-11 parking lot at the Kings Highway exit 170 off I-75. If you are coming from the north traveling south you would make a left at the light at the end of the ramp and go to the mext light. The 7-11 is on the right after the Raceway station.

Thumper13
05-19-2012, 07:00 AM
You guys never come down to Miami. How about a trip to Key Biscayne or South Beach??
That there is BULL CRAP !
The two numbnuts Yellowface and Minuteman ( wonder if Alex gave him that handle :blaugh2: ) were both at last years Bachrodt meet and I am always down there you damned Cuban Vampire. For someone who lives in South Florida, why are you so pale anyway ???

Thumper13
05-19-2012, 07:03 AM
The Chumpcar race at Daytona is on the 27th............don't know if the ball and chain will allow me to go to both after being down South all week. Decisions decisions............. Chumpcar with my bud F86 wins,maybe next time.

minuteman048
05-21-2012, 12:24 PM
The Chumpcar race at Daytona is on the 27th............don't know if the ball and chain will allow me to go to both after being down South all week. Decisions decisions............. Chumpcar with my bud F86 wins,maybe next time.

It's a monthly thing so there is always next month.

minuteman048
05-25-2012, 12:16 PM
OK, last chance to soar with the eagles tomorrow morning.

Thumper13
05-25-2012, 04:26 PM
OK, last chance to soar with the eagles tomorrow morning.

Eagles ??? Where ??? Hope you guys have fun,just remember the LEOS are out in force.

Agent☣Orange
05-25-2012, 05:47 PM
That's true, being Memorial Day weekend but this route is pretty obscure and I think the Revenue Generation force should be victimizing citizens only on main roads.

minuteman048
05-29-2012, 02:39 PM
The morning ride out was much more challenging with fog, damp roads, trotting wildlife, and a red and blue NA on my tail which I called Von Rifthofens Flying Circus. Was fun though on deserted roads in the middle of nowhere.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24550456/IMG_0620.MOV

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24550456/IMG_0620%20%281%29.MOV

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24550456/IMG_0620%20%282%29.MOV

Hope some of you Tampa Orlando and Sarasota guys join us someday.