PDA

View Full Version : Soft top advice

drv2fst
05-11-2012, 09:01 PM
So I put my top down early the other morning and the plastic window cracked top to bottom. I guess it was a little colder than I thought. I've been looking a the robbins product.
I'm thinking the sunfast top with glass would last longer than vinyl / plastic, I live near Vancouver and the car lives outside all year but I do put the HT for the coldest months.

Are the sunfast tops easier or harder to keep clean (tan top) ?
Zipper or zipperless , what are the pros / cons ?
Will the zipperless glass work with BF Clearview that I plan to get ?

thanks

WASABI
05-11-2012, 10:43 PM
That sucks. Rule of thumb is don't move it below 40º. If it's a factory top with a zippered window, you can replace just that zippered insert. I have also see a very nice clear window sewn back into a factory top and reinstalled. The top (with frame and rain rail) has to come off for both of these fixes. If you get a new top, well the top comes off, goes without saying....at least I find it easier to install that way.

drv2fst
05-11-2012, 11:02 PM
Its factory original '97, and some micro tears are starting above the doors so I don't think its worth replacing just the window.
WeatherSpark (http://weatherspark.com/#!dashboard;a=USA/98281/WA/Point_Roberts)shows that it was ~49º that morning.

I think I'm going with the Planet-Miata (http://www.planet-miata.com/index.php?section=search-item&idn=240) zipperless top pre-installed on frame, looks like the best deal. Good price, everything included, and much less opportunity to mess up.

WASABI
05-12-2012, 04:53 AM
Hmmmm, 49º - well, there is something to be said for being just plain old too. :roll: I did my new top in about 5 hours, taking the frame off the car. Pretty easy, but time consuming, because of the steps needed. Again, good luck.

-Jim

Slammedmx
05-12-2012, 09:03 AM
Yeah New top is your best rout.

psulja
05-12-2012, 10:32 PM
For your question of zipper or zipper-less. Having one on one car and the other on the other car, there are pro's and con's.

I like the non-zipper window because it is one less thing to worry about when putting the top down; the PO forgot about the zipper once and tried to put the top down without unzipping the window and it ripped the top all along the zipper.

One thing I do love about the zipper rear window though is being able to have the top up with the back window down; on those days where it is just too hot/sunny and you're getting badly burnt it's nice to have the shade while still getting a really nice breeze. It's also great for a bit of a breeze on longer road trips too.

Just my opinions on the two. Between the two, if I could only have one, I would probably go with the zipper top.

drv2fst
05-14-2012, 10:31 AM
I've only driven top up and back window down once; baseball hat and sunblock and I'm good. I'd like the convenience of not having to unzip every time.

richterat83
05-14-2012, 01:44 PM
Personally, being in FL, having had both a glass rear window (zipperless) and a zip out plastic, getting out of the sun when in traffic is great. Top up, windows down, full breeze

BUT, other option is get a glass/zipperless and also get a G-string top.

WASABI
05-14-2012, 03:01 PM
I have both zippered plastic, and zippered glass rear windows. As far as "top up, back window down" I have never been able to drive with the plastic window down, because the turbulent air from behind flips it all about. I can drive with the glass backed window zippered down...and THAT is wonderful!

-Jim

bedheadben
05-14-2012, 04:53 PM
I have had OEM zippered plastic, OEM non zippered plastic and Robbins zippered plastic. I personally loved the Robbins and enjoy driving with the back unzipped and side windows down.