View Full Version : Engine stalling...

na8cson
06-01-2012, 11:31 PM
First off, my car is a 91, 1.6 5-speed.

So today on my way home from work, I pulled up to a stop light, put the clutch in, and the rpm dropped like normal but just shut off.

Fired right back up, went and got gas, no it wasn't low enough to run out of fuel, and then the same thing, came up to the stop, pressed in the clutch and she died. Fired right back up again. I pulled over and noticed the idle was a little low, about 600-650 rpm. Didn't have anything to adjust it at the time. And didn't notice anything unplugged or loose.

I did some testing and found that if Im coming to a stop and press in the clutch with the engine rpm above 2k, it drops normal and doesn't die.
If I do it at around 1500rpm, it will die.
I adjusted the idle when I got home, set to about 750 rpm. But didn't have time to go drive her again and see if its better.

Anyone experience anything like this before?

Thanks

bedheadben
06-02-2012, 11:10 PM
First of all, great to see yet another Miata owner who has found the perfect combo of Suby and Miata!

It sounds like you're experiencing a vacuum leak from your description except for the low idle, my Subaru had that problem after I built the motor with low compression pistons. Normally in my experience a vacuum leak causes a high idle though.

Check for vacuum/fluid leaks near your brake booster too.

na8cson
06-02-2012, 11:15 PM
Yeah, sube and miata is awesome. Sadly the sube will be for sale soon:(

I don't think its a vac leak, it runs too well for it to be the vac leak.
I've checked most of the lines, and haven't found anything yet. Will keep looking though. Might try and clean the iac tomorrow morning.

Sarah
06-03-2012, 03:04 AM
The ISCV might be just a little gummy, give it clean out with some Intake/carb cleaner, you might find it helps.

http://www.miata.net/garage/isc.html