PDA

View Full Version : Could someone help me? (Determining the source of a noise)

Danger
06-06-2012, 02:20 PM
My Miata recently developed a sort of "click-clack" noise that I can't determine what the source is. It sounds like it is coming from the passenger side of the car, more towards the front. It happens at partial throttle when the transmission is in gear, regardless if the clutch is engaged or not. The noise occurs when I'm driving, when I'm rolling off from a stop, and even stationary (with the clutch in and the trans in gear). The noise goes away when I apply more or less throttle, or when I put it in neutral.

Hopefully that is enough information for one of you more mechanically knowledgeable Miata-fans to help me determine what is wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Greg

Sarah
06-06-2012, 03:11 PM
I had something similar on my old car, it was the solenoid for the carbon canister. Just try unplugging it as its not critical.

revlimiter
06-06-2012, 03:18 PM
U joint on the driveshaft perhaps? That's what mine sounded like.

thait
06-06-2012, 04:06 PM
For me it was a bad diff. If yours 90-93 it's a great time to upgrade to a torsen!!!

dustin a
06-06-2012, 06:35 PM
I had the same issue sarah, give it a shot that could be it

Danger
06-07-2012, 12:40 AM
I had something similar on my old car, it was the solenoid for the carbon canister. Just try unplugging it as its not critical.

That's probably it, now that you mention it. I removed the canister but left the solenoid plugged in so I wouldn't get a CEL (cars with OBDII get a CEL when that's unplugged, right?), but that was a while back and I didn't have any problems. However, shortly before this noise started I relocated the solenoid up under the fender to clean up the engine bay, so something about moving it has probably caused it to start clicking.

I'll look into it and get back to you all. Thanks for the quick help!

Danger
06-07-2012, 10:39 PM
Yup, it was the solenoid. Unplugged that little bugger and traded the clicking noise for a check engine light :shrug:

dustin a
06-08-2012, 12:10 AM
Haha, well at least you know its not serious :)

Danger
06-08-2012, 12:34 AM
I know right! And a CEL is far less annoying than noises. I'm going to see if I can take the solenoid apart and remove whatever clicks, while still leaving the contacts there for the wire connector thing. We'll see...