PDA

View Full Version : Rent a Lens? Yay or Nay?

Bryan
06-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Hey all,

I'm really wanting to buy a new lens for my D3100 in addition to its 18-55mm kit lens. I'm not really about spending the money for a new lens if my pictures come out just as well because I'm kind of new at this, but if I can rent a lens and see good results, I'd be a lot more inclined to plunk down.

So...the question before you all is thus:

1.) Have you ever rented a lens before?
2.) Where did you rent it from?
3.) Would you do it again if you were in the same situation?

I love pop ups
06-13-2012, 03:42 PM
1) Yes
2) borrowlenses.com
3) Definitely will do it again. I rented one with the intent on testing it out before I start saving the cash for it to get hands-on time. Definitely worth it in my eyes. I dropped 60 something bucks for a weekend of shooting instead of $1,600 only to find out I don't like it then risk not being able to return it. (That wasn't the case...I fell in LOVE with the lens and will be purchasing) I am definitely more inclined to make a glass investment if I've played with it in a variety of situations. It's also nice for shooting an event where you might want some glass that you don't necessarily want to buy but want for that couple days, I'll be doing that for the Formula 1 race in November :)

LunchboX
06-13-2012, 05:14 PM
1. Yup
2. Glazers (seattle business). I've been recommended to borrowlenses.com as well.
3. Definitely. I rented an 18-200 VR for a weekend and found out I wanted a longer focal range, prompting me to get the 70-300 VR instead (and super happy I did). Not sure about Borrowlenses, but I had to put down a full market value deposit of the lens before I could go have fun with it. Just a heads up.

patVFX
06-13-2012, 06:25 PM
1. Yessir.
2. Samy's Camera Rental (Los Angeles)
3. I will definitely rent again. I have no plan of ever buying another lens unless I am getting payed enough as a photographer to warrant buying my own lens and other equipment. I've rented expensive L lenses and speedlights. I rent equipment based on the job at hand or if it's just something I'd like to try out. I only actually own three lenses, two kit lenses (18-55 and 55-250) and a 50mm 1.4f. But that's enough for most small paid gigs.

Bryan
06-13-2012, 10:33 PM
Wow...thank you guys!

bedheadben
06-14-2012, 11:42 AM
1.) Yes! And a body for that matter too!
2.) Samy's (Back when I lived in LA I was 3 minutes down the street)
3.) Definitely! In fact I will be renting a 5D Mk II (or maybe even Mk III!?!) for F1 in November if I don't already have one by then. I've been dying to do an edit on Formula 1 and I'm not going to let the fact that I have the only 5D without video capabilities stand in my way! :lol: I've already got my general admission pass, so stoked.

I'll be doing that for the Formula 1 race in November :)
See you there!

2. Samy's Camera Rental (Los Angeles)
One of the best camera stores I've ever been too, I miss that place.