PDA

View Full Version : My first car and it's a miata!! :D

Kingk310
07-06-2012, 12:08 PM
So I got a good deal on a 97 miata that I couldn't resist for about 700 :) but needed some work water pump, radiator,New tubes time belt and still needs a few sensors replaced lol
I did more research on the car and now know it has a lot of potential and miatas are to fun

Only thing is that it's a auto idk if there's still hope?? Lol I want a auto that's a bit more fun
Whats some good mods for a auto not a 5 speed miata
Any auto owners?

Pics coming some :) my bad I have to wash it

tsingson
07-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Welcome! Miatas are great cars to have fun in.

Blueiii
07-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Welcome! Great choice for a first car!

Before answering your "mod" question, can you clarify something?

How do you have a 1.6L '97 miata?

Without going through the entire list. . . first get it up and running by replacing all the items that you have listed. How many miles are on it? Before modding, first make sure you have a reliable platform to work with. Pick up a Haynes or other shop manual. A good read is the "Miata - Find it, Fix it, Trick it" book, and will include a few maintenance projects for you to get to know the car with.

I'm picking my (1st) miata up on Sunday. My first few things to do...

1.) Brakes
2.) Flush Fluids - diff, trans, brake, coolant, etc.
3.) Hella E-Codes (Being able to see at night will help protect the investment!)
4.) Shifter boots (usually shot - if mine are good, I'll be shocked.)

My first "real" mod is likely going to be a set of koni adjustable shocks. Its around $600....

I<3flippyheadlights
07-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Welcome! Without going through the entire list. . . first get it up and running by replacing all the items that you have listed. How many miles are on it? Before modding, first make sure you have a reliable platform to work with. Pick up a Haynes or other shop manual. A good read is the "Miata - Find it, Fix it, Trick it" book, and will include a few maintenance projects for you to get to know the car with.

I'm picking my (1st) miata up on Sunday. My first few things to do...

1.) Brakes
2.) Flush Fluids - diff, trans, brake, coolant, etc.
3.) Hella E-Codes (Being able to see at night will help protect the investment!)
4.) Shifter boots (usually shot - if mine are good, I'll be shocked.)

My first "real" mod is likely going to be a set of koni adjustable shocks. Its around $600....

+1 to maintenance. (I would go in the order of.. 1. problems fixed 2. fluids 3. tires/alignment 4. brakes 5. shocks)

Get the car running right and feel it out. Look around on the forum and look at other peoples cars/build threads to give you ideas. Also, consider WHAT you have. Do you want to drive a automatic Miata and pour tons of money into it? Or you can fix it up, flip it and put it towards a 5 speed miata. Lots of possiblilities with these cars and if you think about what you are doing you can be very happy.

Welcome to MR, enjoy your stay and if you have questions feel free to ask!

kung fu jesus
07-06-2012, 02:34 PM
A transmission swap to a manual is a GREAT mod for an automatic. :teehee:

Welcome to the site!

The Driver
07-06-2012, 02:41 PM
A transmission swap to a manual is a GREAT mod for an automatic. :teehee:

Welcome to the site!

That's neither cheap, nor for the faint of heart...

Welcome to MR.net!

We beat Winlowe again?

bedheadben
07-07-2012, 02:05 AM
Welcome to MR.net! I agree that maintenance is the best first mod. I can't stand the auto but if you refuse to go 5 speed then that's up to you. You'll be surprised by how much some springs/shocks wheels/tires and new bushings can make.

Blueiii
07-07-2012, 06:54 AM
We're creating another list of all the things that should be done with a "new to meeeee-ata." Its got a lot of good tips and ideas.

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?2994-quot-New-quot-%28to-me%29-high-mileage-NA-Definitive-quot-to-do-quot-list&p=47474#post47474

Why do all this?? The goal is to get the car back to "like new" condition in terms of how it drives, feels, and stays on the road. There are lots of things that wear out, so before modifying, get the performance level up to what it was like when new. Along the way, there will be options to replace parts with "better than stock." You'll see a big difference just getting it up to snuff and modifying as you go. (example: Shocks - they probably need to be replaced, although it should be further down on your list unless they're blown. Going with better-than-stock will be an improvement twice. First, getting it to drive like new, then BETTER than new with a good quality shock.)