PDA

View Full Version : Miata newb with "stupid" questions

Blueiii
07-10-2012, 06:53 AM
I'm planning on swapping rotors / padds on my '91 on Friday. I'd like to have everything available ahead of time, so....

1.) What in the heck is an "emory cloth" and where do I buy this? (Everything I've read says use it to clean the slide pins before lubing them.)

2.) What diameter hose will hook up to the calipers so I can properly bleed the brake system? (The fluid in the canister actually looks REALLY good, so I'm debating if I really need to even flush it, but I figure I might still do it.)

kung fu jesus
07-10-2012, 07:32 AM
An emory cloth is like sand paper, but the abrasives are on a cloth, not paper. Emory cloth is a little more flexible than some papers and a bit more durable. You can use sand paper, but use a medium grit, like 300. Most autoparts, home improvement, or hardware stores have it.

For brake lube, I'm going to be a bit more specific, but it's really up to you. I bought a tube of NAPA Sil-Glyde probably 10 years or more ago and it has been great for lubricating brake guides. I have also used it for lubricating window tracks and other stuff. It resists heat, caking, and gumming. A quick look on Google will tell you how much it costs and how to get it (if you don't have a NAPA nearby).

The tubing to use 1/4-3/16" You want it to fit snug and you want the tubing to be clear, so you can see the bubbles and fluid. Bleeding the brakes is going to ensure you are starting from "0" on the maintenance. The fluid at the reservoir can look clear, but that doesn't mean the fluid is free of air, water, or grunge at the calipers.

AHHthatsJDMyo
07-18-2012, 10:10 PM
when i bleed brakes i use aquarium tubing. its just a clear rubber hose. moderate thickness but stretchy enough to slide right on. get it at walmart or a pet store. its like $3 for 6 feet.

Soledad
07-21-2012, 09:20 PM
Mighty Vac FTW!!! Doesn't cost that much and works like a champ!! The entire procedure takes less than half as long as usual and gets your brake pedal rock hard!