PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding coilbind...

wannafbody
07-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Seeing that most performance springs for the Miata are linear rate is it possible for just a few coils(other than the top and bottom coil) to contact under compression or for coilbind to occur do all the coils have to compress against each other?

bedheadben
07-17-2012, 11:38 AM
Seeing that most performance springs for the Miata are linear rate is it possible for just a few coils(other than the top and bottom coil) to contact under compression or for coilbind to occur do all the coils have to compress against each other?

I'm not quite sure exactly what you're asking but I'll do my best to answer! Coil bind occurs whenever an active coil contacts another, and it is definitely possible on the Miata with shorter springs. All of the coils do not need to be contacting each other for them to bind, however if that does occur you will definitely notice as the suspension won't compress any further. If you are experiencing coil bind you should be able to tell by closely examining your springs and observing if there are any contact marks.

Of course some people think that it's bad to compress or even remove their helper springs because they believe it's an active part of the spring rate. Any spring that has flat sides on the top and bottom of each coil is meant to fully compress and just retain the primary spring. Most likely a helper spring will be fully compressed the entire time you're driving (until that corner is unloaded) and will definitely have contact marks on it.

wannafbody
07-17-2012, 04:37 PM
I replaced a set of rear 7 inch 300# springs and upped to 7 inch 350# springs in conjunction with ISC top hats. It seems like I was experiencing minor coilbind on one side but not the other. Maybe part of my issue was too much preload-not sure. I just think it's odd for coilbind to occur with 300# springs.

bedheadben
07-17-2012, 04:52 PM
Most likely you are not experiencing coil bind unless you have a ton of preload. Did you check for the binding marks on your springs? Why do you have so much preload anyways? If you need to go lower, get shorter springs, it's really not good to run a lot of preload unless you really know what you're doing anyways.

wannafbody
07-17-2012, 05:53 PM
I was having trouble getting the rear high enough for some reason so I originally added some preload. I just recently looked at the loose springs sitting in the garage and it looks like some very minor contact on one coil but it's possible that it's just rust from a bad winter. It isn't shiny like a case of frequent coilbind.