PDA

View Full Version : Miata vs FR-S vs Genesis Coupe 2.0TR : TTAC Track Days Episode 2

MRnewsBot
08-07-2012, 02:53 PM
TTAC Track Days Episode 2: Scion FR-S vs. Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T vs. Mazda MX-5

What says you????

http://youtu.be/CVmpoT6RbHk

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/08/ttac-track-days-episode-2-scion-fr-s-vs-hyundai-genesis-coupe-2-0t-vs-mazda-mx-5/

Slammedmx
08-07-2012, 03:55 PM
i agree the miata is a great track car and is very fun to drive! but it all depends on what you want a track car? a luxury sports car? or a scion...? lol

f86sabjf
08-07-2012, 05:27 PM
well not just because of the mx5 rating but i do feel that its a more honest review of the cars

Mexican_Guy
08-07-2012, 06:35 PM
that guy voice just sucks lol

sounds like a Simpsons character

atlnb
08-07-2012, 06:37 PM
the new genesis is so ugly, doesn't matter how it performs. ew

Benbrg
08-07-2012, 09:10 PM
That guys jacket is horrible. Road and track did a better review of the same cars.

hippari
08-08-2012, 03:29 AM
The NC (as tested) is a solid 5 grand more than an FR-S round these parts. I have no idea what the situation is stateside, but they're more expensive on the whole everytime since the dealer won't keep base model softops. That added with an anticipation of a hopefully significantly superior ND makes me apprehensive about picking one up. After reading about Emilio's (of 949 racing) track fun with the FR-S in various states of modification (http://fecompetition.wordpress.com/2012/08/05/first-track-day-recap), the FR-S seems like a very competent track car when you toss out the Prius rubber and mushy brake pads. I just look at the NC and ask why I want a 2500lb Miata.

The new Genesis is a fatty with a front end almost as ugly as that guys jacket, but I still like it, just not enough to want to own one, despite how attractively priced it is.

fprintf
08-08-2012, 05:22 AM
I just look at the NC and ask why I want a 2500lb Miata.

You are complaining about an extra 150 pounds but quite a bit more horsepower over your NB? Why did you want to own a porky NB when there were a ton of competitive cars built at the time that were a ton faster in every way? Oh that's right, we all know that Miatas are for gay guys, for chicks, and for those that "appreciate" a nice driving convertible over outright horsepower or handling. The same holds true for the NC. It is a little faster, handles about the same as my old NA (before I upgraded the suspension), and is a helluva lot more fun than any hardtop car.

NA: 2150 pounds, 114 hp. 18.8 lbs / horsepower
NB: 2350 pounds, 143 hp. 16.4 lbs / horsepower
NC soft top: 2410 pounds, 167 hp. 14.4 lbs / horsepower
NC hard top: 2499 pounds, 167 hp. 15 lbs / horsepower

and by way of comparison
Subaru BRZ: 2762 pounds, 200 hp. 13.8 lbs / horsepower
Hyundai 2.0T: 3399, 275 hp. 12.4 lbs / horsepower

Finally, I agree with the others that posted above and with some of the YouTube comments. This is one of the worst "review" videos I have seen. Poor content, poor format, and that awful Looney Tunes Martian voice. They give absolutely no consistent objective criteria for what makes the MX-5 better, just that they love driving it more. The other cars in other reviews beat it in just about every way: acceleration, ultimate grip, lap times, interior. I don't know, the body roll on mine absolutely kills any quick transition work. I can't see how in stock form it could be considered a track weapon, it certainly isn't an Autocross one! Once the car is in a steady state corner settled on its springs/bump stops, well then it is awesome. But if you have to do a quick left right left or something, it is a boat. Sway bars help with that, but once you start doing that you can do similar things to the Toyobaru, Hyundai, Mustang etc.

hippari
08-08-2012, 07:55 AM
asdfjhlkl;

Horsepower per pound is corny and tubby car logic. The new Mustangs and M3's are less than 10lb's per horsepower, but sorry not gonna ignore the 2 ton boat status.

But anyway, sorry for inadvertently making fun of NC's bigness, especially since you apparently just bought one. The NB could totally lose a few pounds too! I mean, I got a base model NB1 that's got more short comings than just its weight, but I'da tossed her piggy ass to the curb if I coulda found an NA or FD at the time, but you settle when you can't find what you want. That and I thought she was pretty. NOW, I know cars get heavierandheavierandheavier as time goes by, but there's a point where I draw a line and say, "hey, this car's not that light anymore, cars aren't light anymore". And that oh so thin line of 150 lbs; drawn with a fat old sharpie. No complaints, just a pass and wait.

I suppose if you go by the contemporary industry average, anything not FWD and under 3000lbs is light weight, and it's something we'll all have to accept and appreciate unless those diet rumors about the ND are true. So if we accept the flabby state of car weights, we gotta look at other aspects of the car to reaffirm it. 167hp in 2012 is lame. I hate to play the horsepower game when Camrys make 300 horsepower now, but still, if I'm gonna accept a tubbier car because the industry average is such and such, I'd expect the Miata to be more powerful than it is. Tighter and stiffer than it is. More convenient than it is. More X than it is. And I was just speculating that the FR-S might have those X's. Especially at its price point.

Of course with aftermarket it can all boil down to how the car looks and how it feeeeeeellzzzz out the box to its opener. That F word is totally how I justified saying my old first gen S-10 was more fun to drive than a Mazda 2 and Mini CooperS btw. And how I justified saying the cooper and s2000's cockpit semed smaller than my miata's. Drove the sales guy bonkers because it's a cheap line and irrefutable without having to go through wikipedia reading off corny measurements and ratios.

That said, I'm sorry for making fun of your newer homo car. The NC is probably fileld with just as much faggy fun time as the NBs and NAs and it is no less a miata no matter how much Mazda feeds it. :mrgreen: