PDA

View Full Version : DIY-Clutch bypass security option

ctrench
08-09-2012, 06:42 AM
Ok guys, so when i went to start my car and push in my clutch it would only work intermittedly, and just be a pain in the butt by not letting me start my car sometimes. so i decided to bypass my clutch sensor. While in the middle of bypassing the sensor i figured it would be smart to add in a security device so that no one could start my car, except me!!

so what you do is find your original clutch pedal sensor... and cut the two (i think 12g) wires running to it, they are black with a green stripe
http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/6583/0808121315.jpg

yank off the little metal retainer clip (it is in the area i circled)
http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/8499/0808121315a.jpg

then strip off the ends of the wires and hook them up to a normally open flip switch, pushbutton, rocker switch... anything you like. this will make your car not start unless you have the switch flipped or are pushing the momentary pushbutton.

you can then hide the switch or button in your center console, under your dash, under your seat... or anywhere you feel safe

Sorry i cannot show the final product because if i do, then it doesnt serve a purpose for the security to my car

tsingson
08-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Great write up. I may have to do this. So by doing this, you no longer have to press the clutch in? Just as long as the switch is on?

revlimiter
08-09-2012, 09:36 AM
That is simple and brilliant. And from a wiring perspective, rather hard to detect. Those clutch wires don't go anywhere near the ignition switch wiring, where a traditional switch like this would be installed. The switch would look no different than an aftermarket fog lamp switch to a thief.

Of course, if you hide the switch in a place a switch wouldn't normally live, it becomes interesting to someone who finds it. They will say "why is this switch here? what is it hooked up to?" and begin investigating. But if it was a foglamp-style switch just out in the middle of the dash, perhaps even with a misleading sticker under it, the average thief would never give it a 2nd glance.

Love this.

WildCJ5
08-09-2012, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the write up, I like this. Just added another project to the Kitty list.

-Rob

Demon I Am
08-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Pretty good idea! I like the idea of hiding it in plain sight, with a factory-looking rocker button. Wonder if there is something that would fit in the factory cruise button location. Or just use a factory cruise button, if you do not have it.

Martin
08-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Hmm... I have a factory cruise switch (from the interior swap) and no cruise control...

I<3flippyheadlights
08-09-2012, 11:15 AM
this is really good. Nice write up Chris!

ctrench
08-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Great write up. I may have to do this. So by doing this, you no longer have to press the clutch in? Just as long as the switch is on?

yep, you dont have to press the clutch in. But it the swith is engaged, or if you are using a momentary switch and the button is pushed down then the car can start

ctrench
08-09-2012, 04:40 PM
The switch would look no different than an aftermarket fog lamp switch to a thief.

But if it was a foglamp-style switch just out in the middle of the dash, perhaps even with a misleading sticker under it, the average thief would never give it a 2nd glance.

Love this.

boom!! my exact thought!! and they would have no idea on how to start it... because even if the person tries to push start the car, it still wont work, because the sensor isnt on the clutch anymore!!

tsingson
08-13-2012, 08:56 AM
yep, you dont have to press the clutch in. But it the swith is engaged, or if you are using a momentary switch and the button is pushed down then the car can start

Cool. I will go ahead and install one.

ctrench
08-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Make sure you dont start the car in gear or you will look like a newbie lol, good thing i leave my car in neutral, yay ebrake!!

tsingson
08-14-2012, 07:40 AM
^same with me. My car is never in gear unless I am on an incline.

ctrench
08-14-2012, 09:48 AM
unless I am on an incline.

i live in florida... what are these inclines you speak of? :P

tsingson
08-14-2012, 09:55 AM
Don't the sinkholes cause small inclines? :teehee: I used to live in California. In gear all the time.