PDA

View Full Version : Rear end click

amvulture
08-13-2012, 03:50 PM
94 lsd 180k

I get this signal click coming from the rear end once i take off. i thought it was the drive shaft (u-joints). i replaced with a low mile unit.
It got better but it is now intermittently still there.

I was able to make it happen as i drove off of a small bump coming out of a drive way

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Going to change diff fluid and drive shaft blots with blue lock tight this weekend to see if that helps

amvulture
08-15-2012, 07:48 PM
As I'm waiting for parts I noticed that the driveshaft will turn about 10 to 15 degrees befor the rear end starts to rotate the wheels
Could this be a sign of my rearend failing?

DK Wolf
08-24-2012, 08:27 AM
hmm.. is your E-brake on? You are supposed to have a little bit of play. but I think 30 degrees might be much.

Pull your ebrake all the way, rotate your DS, do you still have lots of play? what about if you remove the Ebrake? Same amount?

Also for that click, sounds like it could be your diff bushings, take a look at those.

amvulture
09-24-2012, 08:47 PM
So i went though everything I could.

So I gave up and took it to a local shop. They first said it was coming from the rear end a they wanted to rebuild it. Then the shop owner felt that the click was to tin sounding for it to be in the drive line. So he told me they re torque the drive shaft, stub shafts and top hats. Upon looking for the top hats he found that the jack was loose and not position on its mount.
After removing the jack, he had his drive it again. No clicking.

So guys I've been in the auto industry for 10 years. Did countless engine rebuilds and 2 frame off restorations. (60 Chevrolet pick up and 68 Ford Torino). But this one got the better of me :banghead: