PDA

View Full Version : Regarding a 1990 with a swapped 1.8L and autocross

SSgtShady
08-17-2012, 09:40 AM
So I am looking at buying a 1990 with a 1995 1.8L in it. I was all about buying this car until I remembered that I kinda want to run SCCA Cstock for auto cross. I'm pretty sure the car is illegal for the class with a 1.8 in it though, am I right? If so, what class would the car now fit in? I was even reading the SM class rules and it seems that it doesnt even fit there?

concealer404
08-17-2012, 10:06 AM
It fits in SSM. MIGHT fit in CSP with the update/backdate rules, but i'm not 100% sure.

SSgtShady
08-17-2012, 10:31 AM
So it fits in SSM, great; but how competitive stock? I'd imagine you'd need to do quite a bit more to be able to compete with any success in SSM?

Blueiii
08-17-2012, 10:46 AM
SSM - Needs a lot to be competitive, no matter what the car.
With the 1.8L, you're stuck in CSP. It CAN be competitive, but you'll be spending a decent amount of money to get there.

If you want to autocross, unless you're set on building a CSP car, you'll want to pass on this one. In stock class, look for a '94 or '95 with a torsen LSD. (Any of the M cars will have a torsen I believe.) 96 - 97 will also work, but will be a tiny bit heavier.

concealer404
08-17-2012, 10:47 AM
So it fits in SSM, great; but how competitive stock? I'd imagine you'd need to do quite a bit more to be able to compete with any success in SSM?

Most people will say that on a national level, a Miata will never be competitive in SSM.

The running joke is that the amount of trophies you win in SSM is in direct relation to how many rotors you've stuffed under the hood of your FD RX7. :lol:

Locally if you want to win in SSM, you would probably be able to get away with a CSP prep on that car. Or maybe locally you've got a "catch all" class. :)

SSgtShady
08-17-2012, 11:08 AM
owww, my head hurts. lol. Ive also got a 94 on the hook with the LSD.. its more than I wanna spend though. I really am dead set to run autox though...

Blueiii
08-17-2012, 01:06 PM
Lets see if I can alleviate some headaches for you!

CSP is a lot more open, however you'll end up getting into coilovers, VVT head swaps, tuning, etc. CSP can get VERY expensive, and although the 1.8L swapped car is less expensive at the moment, prepping for CSP will prove to cost you more in the end.

The new RTR class seems to be the least expensive to prep the car for, and with the right car you could later prep it for STS.

RTR is the same as the stock class, however:

1.) you can't run $1000 r-comps (The tire to have at the moment is a Toyo, however next year they'll be illegal, making the tire to have likely to be Star Specs (until the new 2013 tires come out, anyway). You'll still be able to do some aftermarket stuff in RTR: shocks, sway bar (1), and exhaust being the biggest. After tires, and assuming you'll be driving on the street tires year round, you're already around $1500 in the hole with Koni Sports. (If you want to get really competitive, look into a set of FCM (FatCatMotorsports.com) custom built shocks, although plan on dropping $1200.)

2.) Its treated as a PAX class, so you'll be up against equally prepped cars. You can race a S200, Porsche, etc and still be competitive.

If you decide later you want to upgrade the car further, STS is still a good option. I'd still prefer a 94 - 95 car because its OBD1. The only downside is you can't keep the torsen, but you can probably sell the torsen for more than you'd pay for an open, leaving you with some extra cash in your pocket.

I have a 91 right now that was purchased with the intent of running STS, then I found out about the RTR class. MUCH cheaper to play in! (And I'm now kicking myself for buying a 91!)

Also - 94 - 95 had slightly wider wheels stock, which means you can get fatter rubber underneath. (6" wheels instead of 5.5" wide.)