PDA

View Full Version : New K&N Air Intake - Am I doing it right?

Spinnywhoosh
08-27-2012, 06:56 PM
So it's installed! Here's some pics.

As you can see this thing is HUGE and right next to the damn headers..
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x76/scottsimsa/temporary-15.jpg

But here's the thing.. I installed a hose that I connected into the air dam of my R-lip to direct cold air to the intake!
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x76/scottsimsa/temporary-12.jpg

Here's one from the front, barely noticeable!
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x76/scottsimsa/temporary-13.jpg

Overall I love it! The throttle is more responsive and the engine has a more throaty sound to it!

Not bad for a $90 intake system!

My forum thread: http://gnvmiatas.net/showthread.php?185-New-K-amp-N-Air-Intake-Sysem

atank
08-27-2012, 07:07 PM
Looks great, It would also help if you could fab a simple heat shield between the CAI and the exhaust manifold........

http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/mm351/atank_1/heatshield.jpg

Spinnywhoosh
08-27-2012, 07:21 PM
Not a bad idea.. That's the one thing I don't like about it, is where it sits..

atank
08-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Not a bad idea.. That's the one thing I don't like about it, is where it sits..

Yeah but its a big improvement over the factory box!!!

Spinnywhoosh
08-27-2012, 07:33 PM
Yeah but its a big improvement over the factory box!!! It is.. And I sure can feel the difference. I might do a heat shield but I'd like to try a material that would be more heat resistant.. Or wait to get headers and wrap them in some of that crazy heat resistant wrap.. I friend rolled into a meet once after just wrapping his.. The effect was AMAZING.. You could literally grab a damn header pipe bare handed.

Phatmiata
09-12-2012, 06:19 AM
Scott that's a great idea, but please tell me you are gonna take that snorkel off during the rainy season? If you drive in a flooded area your motor would get hosed. (pun intended)

Im sure during the dry/cool season this thing will kick arse though!

Blueiii
09-12-2012, 07:10 AM
How would it hose the motor? Its an air duct that leads to "open space" underneath the filter. Between the width of the hose and the space between the filter and the hose I don't know that this is really doing anything. (It does, however, provide a potential idea... route air to the front brakes.)

Spinnywhoosh
09-12-2012, 08:13 AM
How would it hose the motor? Its an air duct that leads to "open space" underneath the filter. Between the width of the hose and the space between the filter and the hose I don't know that this is really doing anything. (It does, however, provide a potential idea... route air to the front brakes.)

Well that's what the r-lip was meant to do, route air to the breaks. But I used the air dam to rig my tube.

But yeah you're right, water is too heavy to be carried that far up the tube to make it to the filter. Quite a bit of air does make it in tho :)

wannafbody
09-12-2012, 09:52 PM
I dunno, guys with 4 wheel drive trucks can soak an air filter with rain water.

Thumper13
11-29-2012, 07:32 PM
I dunno, guys with 4 wheel drive trucks can soak an air filter with rain water.

HUH ?? I never once had any water sucked up into any of my 4 wheel drive trucks,two of which used snorkels and extended vent tubes for the pumpkins. Anybody telling you that trucks can inhale water through their air filters and still run is fibbing !!

maharaj
11-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Looks really good and just like was previously mentioned, get the heat shield. Looks perfect!

jnshk
01-07-2013, 11:58 PM
I wonder what the pressure differential is between the inside of the engine bay and the opening in the r-package lip? I'd guess it's enough to be effective at highway speeds if you seem to be getting noticeable improvement. It's amazing how much difference you can get by dropping the intake temps a bit.

theRzRpanda
01-20-2013, 03:15 PM
Scottsimsa,
Looks great! I was looking at putting an air dam in for the same reason as most, but was afraid of the water issue. Glad to see that's not an issue at all! But on a sidenote, have you ever had a problem with the air dam and ground clearance?

Spinnywhoosh
01-20-2013, 04:32 PM
Scottsimsa,
Looks great! I was looking at putting an air dam in for the same reason as most, but was afraid of the water issue. Glad to see that's not an issue at all! But on a sidenote, have you ever had a problem with the air dam and ground clearance?
Oh not at all. It fit perfectly into the semi-stock r-lip and doesn't hang down any lower. The only funky thing with how it sits is snaking it upward past the anti-sway bar. But moving from the button, upward like that does not let any water travel up the tube.

theRzRpanda
01-20-2013, 07:20 PM
Oh not at all. It fit perfectly into the semi-stock r-lip and doesn't hang down any lower. The only funky thing with how it sits is snaking it upward past the anti-sway bar. But moving from the button, upward like that does not let any water travel up the tube.

Excellent, that's all I was concerned about, thanks. Now the question is who has the best deal!

beckham
07-08-2013, 08:11 AM
What does it sound like? Any chance of you putting up some vids? :P

Spinnywhoosh
07-09-2013, 10:26 AM
Hey there. It gave the car a really throaty sound even with a stock exhaust. Absolutely loved it. Unfortunately I no longer have the car but I'm thinking of doing the same upgrade to my current Miata. This was actually a kit you can find on ebay for about $80.

DBZ
07-14-2013, 05:40 AM
Looks great! Would you happen to know of a guide I could follow =p

Spinnywhoosh
07-14-2013, 07:15 PM
Looks great! Would you happen to know of a guide I could follow =p

Ermm, don't really know of one offhand but it was really simple. Just taking out the stock airbox and replacing it with the cone filter over the Mass airflow sensor and it came with a bar to mount the filter in place. Then the hose was just routing it up. If I get another setup like this then I'll make a video.

BoBo
07-20-2013, 05:15 AM
Your intake looks neat, but it's pretty close to the extractors. A nice heat shield would really help. Do post a dyno sheet if your ever planing on getting one in the future. It would be nice to see how it compares to the factory air-box. I think the stock airbox is the same for a 1.6 & 1.8, so there should be a small improvement by getting rid of the stock airbox for the 1.8 motor.

I'm using a K&N filter with stock airbox, It's not really noticeable but from 4000-5500rpm it starts to pull a little bit on 1st and 2nd gear. I was going to get a Blower, but for now I have to settle for an intake to get my Ninja.