PDA

View Full Version : How do you standalone ECU guys pass OBD2 inspection?

Chair
08-28-2012, 03:00 PM
I was thinking about this the other day and some searching returned nothing, but I apologize if this has been gone over. I get how a parallel setup can pass the scanner, but what about plug and play systems? The only thing I could think of is to unplug the stand alone and plug back in the OEM ECU a day before, but still that'd only work for those whose stock ECUs can still handle their car. Fueling mods and FI would make that impossible.

revlimiter
08-28-2012, 03:44 PM
Yup. You got it. Pull the aftermarket and reinstall the OEM ECU. It sucked. I vowed to never own another OBD2 Miata that would have heavy mods again.

Chair
08-28-2012, 09:38 PM
Yup. You got it. Pull the aftermarket and reinstall the OEM ECU. It sucked. I vowed to never own another OBD2 Miata that would have heavy mods again.
Figured that was about it.

SM16RMSM
08-28-2012, 10:21 PM
Move to a better state. :mrgreen:

RotorNutFD3S
08-29-2012, 09:06 AM
Fueling and FI do not make it impossible, just a bit more difficult. For example, with a turbo you'd wire open the wastegate so it couldn't build boost, swap the stock injectors in along with the stock ECU and MAF, carefully do a drive cycle to get all of the monitors satisfied, test, and then return to boosted mode.