PDA

View Full Version : (GA) 1976 Kawasaki KZ400

FooSchnickens
09-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Make/Model : 1976 Kawasaki KZ400

Miles: 8,000

Asking Price: $2500 obo

Contact Info: PM me please

I'm putting this up for sale in hopes that someone will give it a good home. After happily riding it around the past few months I realized that while I like this bike, it's not the one I really want. Combine that with the fact that I could use the extra cash right now means that this is the fat that can most easily be trimmed. I bought it with 7500 miles on the odometer and have put 500 trouble-free miles on it since then. Whether in-town or on the open road, it rides like a dream and looks great doing it. I got nods and waves every time I rode it and my fair share of seniors regaling me of when "they were my age" and owned that same bike.

The good:

Everything works
Has just over 8000 original miles
No charging issues, all lights function and all hand controls work.
New battery installed end of last year, kept on battery tender when not ridden for more than a couple days.
No rust in the tank or fuel system.
Has updated dual-feed fuel lines to the carbs with inline filters
No oil leaks
Chain and sprocket in good condition, no clatter or slop, but will probably need to be replaced end of next season in favor of a newer o-ring chain (I'll throw in a can of motul chain lube for free).
No rips in the seat
Chrome still shiny, but has mild pitting in certain places
No heavy rust, only mild surface pitting easily dealt with with some steel wool and paint.
Tires are in good condition and have lots of miles left on them. Rides smooth.
Front and rear brakes stop like a champ, rear drum and front rotor have plenty of life left in them.
Have current registration in hand (no title, not needed in GA for something this old. If your state requires a title it's up to you to figure out how to get one. I'll provide any info I can on my end needed from your DMV, but I can't help you out past that because I don't know how your state's laws work.)
Gets mid 30mpg around town, close to 40 on the highway
Super cheap to insure (cost me just over $200 for a year's coverage)

The bad:

Hard to shift into neutral sometimes when cold
Kickstart doesn't always work (electric start works fine, though)
Mild surface rust in some places
Is missing the OEM filter box and side cover
Carbs need to be balanced to get the idle down where it needs to be (right now it idles around 1-2.5k)
It's nearly 40 years old, don't expect it to rip like a modern bike.

And that's pretty much it.

Asking $2500 obo, Cash or Bank-issued Cashier's Check only, please.

This is a real peach of a bike and with proper care will last many many years.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r156/FooSchnickens/bike.jpg

I<3flippyheadlights
09-10-2012, 11:19 PM
That thing is awesome man. Wish I knew how to ride/wanted a bike/didn't live with my Dad :P
GLWS

maharaj
09-11-2012, 08:37 AM
That thing is awesome man. Wish I knew how to ride/wanted a bike/didn't live with my Dad :P
GLWS

Nice bike, absolutely. Trust me Gavin, down here, you don't want a bike. If you don't believe me ask Bill.

Phatmiata
09-11-2012, 08:42 AM
Sexy bike Taylor!!

:bump:

FooSchnickens
09-17-2012, 07:34 PM
Rainy day bump.

Phatmiata
09-19-2012, 10:04 AM
Where is LostSoulMiata at, I bet he would dig this!

FooSchnickens
09-21-2012, 09:45 AM
Last bump before I put it on craigslist.

Buelligan
01-25-2013, 04:12 AM
Bump for an Awesome looking bike, in great shape.
The KZ line of bikes were VERY reliable back in the day. Many easily going over 100,000 miles no problem.
I would put that on eBay so it gets more exposure, and possibly a collector will take it off your hands.
Good luck!

etikoner
01-25-2013, 01:49 PM
If I had the money I'd take a road trip up to buy it.. It's pretty sweet

FooSchnickens
01-25-2013, 03:18 PM
It's still for sale, only had one nibble at it all this time. Plus it's about to start warming up again. ;)