PDA

View Full Version : Chris Harris vs Miata, who is this tool?

I<3flippyheadlights
09-11-2012, 08:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36whvegFIqg&feature=youtu.be

Well I can't agree with him at all. I think he has completely missed the mark of what the Miata is there for and he doesn't see it all. So as a angry, obviously slow car driving, flamboyant miata driver I will post this on a Miata forum and flame his balls off. That will teach him :P

So whats your opinion? Does he get some things right? Does he get a lot wrong? Is he a pompous, rich, asswipe who drives a Ferrari and shits on the guy who drives a simple roadster? Whatever, who cares, I think he is wrong all over.

The Miata is a great car, not the best, but one of the greats in my book. It might not be the fastest, sharpest, coolest or whatever but it puts a smile on our faces. And after driving a shitty Volvo S90 for 98 for two days I'm REALLY glad to be back in my Miata. I don't care what this ass hat says, Miatas are cool. Like bowties.. bowties are really cool.

atank
09-11-2012, 08:44 PM
I think he would love a Toyota Prius....&...I am surprised the Miata he is driving not an automatic....should not take him too serious!!!

iKhanh
09-11-2012, 08:48 PM
though he may not like the Miata, i still respect him as a car journalist. to each their own. if i recall correctly, he only has that 599 because apparently they depreciate rather quickly in the U.K. and so he scooped one up.

atank
09-11-2012, 09:09 PM
Yeah most 599's are paddle shift.....like my wifes' car....bahahahaha!

Phatmiata
09-11-2012, 09:15 PM
This guy is just a cocky SOB that is spoiled from driving a Ferrari and porsches all day :roll: , im sure if everyone in the world could afford a Ferrari, or even the insurance on such a car we would all have unrealistic expectations.

The Miata falls right in line with the old TR7s, MGs, Alfa, and other 2 seater sports cars of old. The Miata is exactly what they designed it to be, a reliable, affordable, fun, sportscar, period.

Last time I checked the Ferrari was considered to be in the "Exotic" Sports car range, I mean if you want to get technical.

Here is a list of other underpowered cars that in HIS logic are no longer considered sports cars;

Old Lotuses, MGs, Triumphs, Jaguars, Austin Healeys, TVRs, Datsuns1600s, Morgan, AC, Sunbeam, Mini, etc

IMHO he has no appreciation or knowledge of how to drive a slow car fast, or what the feeling is of a sportscar! :roll:

In my opinion Chris Harris is lame, and he can suck on his pants. http://www.tampabaymiatas.net/forum/images/smilies/bootyshake.gif

Cheers mate!

WASABI
09-11-2012, 09:17 PM
I think he's right on the money. I mean, he was driving a (stock) 16 year old car in this review, and made the mention of people with modified cars, not being the target audience, because their cars would handle differently.

Think about it, a bone stock Miata (stock shocks, springs, tires, and ride height [13.5"])... could be a little lack luster. Why does everyone mod theirs, if they are so great right from the factory? As well, he mentioned that when you have a choice between a $23,000 Miata NC, or a $23,000 used Lotus Elise, which one would you rather buy?

-Jim

atank
09-11-2012, 09:24 PM
I think he's right on the money. I mean, he was driving a (stock) 16 year old car in this review, and made the mention of people with modified cars, not being the target audience, because their cars would handle differently.

Think about it, a bone stock Miata (stock shocks, springs, tires, and ride height [13.5"])... could be a little lack luster. Why does everyone mod theirs, if they are so great right from the factory? As well, he mentioned that when you have a choice between a $23,000 Miata NC, or a $23,000 used Lotus Elise, which one would you rather buy?

-Jim

If you have deeper pockets than I, the Lotus would be fun fun, but what would be the total cost of ownership compared to the NC, man all the English cars I have owned were a pain in the ass to get parts, and always working on them when I had rather be driving, thats why I have stayed with the Miatas, easy to get parts (inexpensive compared to Lotus), and Miatas are easy to wrench on......JMHO.....but also remember I am a 1%er...

iRoadster
09-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Hahaha, I just watched this video (or the first half anyways) last week.
Remember the "that's how I drive, flat out" character? Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's one of those kind of douchebags.

Additionally, why get the NC when you could find a sweet low mileage NA for like $6-7000 and then put the remaining $15k into said NA.

Phatmiata
09-11-2012, 09:33 PM
.............. a choice between a $23,000 Miata NC, or a $23,000 used Lotus Elise, which one would you rather buy?

Apples to Oranges............

You are comparing NEW to used here.

If you comparing NEW vs Used, then screw the Lotus and buy a $2000 NA Miata and put a V8 in it. DONE.

If you are comparing NEW to NEW it looks more like this........

Lotus Exige $65,690
Lotus Evora $64,000
Lotus Elise $47,250

Mazda NC Miata PRHT $31,225
Mazda NC Miata Base $23,470

Now factor in the money you just saved on the price and insurance and you win! Take that extra money and add a turbo and you can hang with those cars on the street or track and still have money in your wallet!

Miata = "affordable" Sportscar
Lotus = "exotic" Sportscar

titch
09-11-2012, 09:52 PM
I love Harris' reviews. And tbh, let's face it, as standard they ARE slow, and the handling whilst better than most average ecoboxes isn't all that sharp as standard when compared to a lot of sports cars.

Phatmiata
09-11-2012, 09:59 PM
I don't think anyone is disputing they are slower, what I am disputing is that he is stating the Miata is NOT a sports car.

titch
09-11-2012, 10:21 PM
A sports car (sportscar or sport car) is a small, usually two seat, two door automobile designed for spirited performance and nimble handling.Sports cars may be spartan or luxurious but high maneuverability and minimum weight are requisite.

I believe the Miata fulfils those requirements, and so, if Wiki says it is, it must be. Right?

I must agree with you on that, and not Harris, however my other points still stand.

MeanderingMarmot
09-11-2012, 10:34 PM
He is trolling.

What better publicity stunt then to troll the entire enthusiast community of the best selling two seat sports car of all time? He is a car guy, he knows how much the Miata is loved.

I wonder how many more views his vids get, and how many more advertisers pay now that he has all of you guys rattling the sabers.

Let him say whatever he wants, we are the ones driving around in something cheap, affordable, reliable, and is built to provide great driving fun. I will take my toe-heelable, cheap insurance, self-maintainable,economical, reliable Miata over some flappy-paddled "supercar" any day of the week. And yes, I have driven lots of flappy paddle cars, I don't care if they are .0234234 seconds faster.

I won't own a sports car with a flappy paddle.

Driving fun/pleasure > Machine Capability/price/status.

I fail to see how the added "features" of flappy paddles, stability control, traction control, active exhaust, "auto" buttons, etc can be applied to a real sports car. Defeats the purpose if the car is doing all the driving.

atank
09-12-2012, 04:56 AM
Hahaha, I just watched this video (or the first half anyways) last week.
Remember the "that's how I drive, flat out" character? Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's one of those kind of douchebags.

Additionally, why get the NC when you could find a sweet low mileage NA for like $6-7000 and then put the remaining $15k into said NA.

Very True, Hell maybe buy TWO!!!!!!!!

WASABI
09-12-2012, 07:04 AM
He stated that "for the money" the Miata was a good car. This I agree whole heartedly. He also implied/dismissed that his comments we not to any modified Miatas, his original review was of a stock NB.

Personally, I don't think there is a better bang for the buck sportster/roadster out there.

Blueiii
09-12-2012, 07:22 AM
Videos like this REALLY make me happy.

I will point out that someone mentioned "reliable" and "British" in the same sentence. Let's face it, the popularity of the Miata stems from the fact that it had similar lines to the old Brits and was FR BUT.... it was reliable! That was a first.

I'd rather be buying a car from someone who bought it brand new 20 years ago, drove it in the summer and has recently become too old to really "get it" right after they watch video after video just like this. I just bought mine back in July, and REALLY want to get back to work soon with the intent of purchasing a second one. (Too many limitations for autocross once I do have the money to get modding.) If you can do your own wrenching, why spend 15-20k on something like the Fiat 500 when for half the cost you can have a miata that handles, looks good, and is reasonably quick. . . with money left over for repairs OR to build a second miata with all the parts you were torn between?

revlimiter
09-12-2012, 09:13 AM
He is trolling.

This. He's trying to get haters and thereby attain notoriety. It will probably work for him too. To quote the stand up comic Katt Williams, “If you’ve got 14 people hating on you, you need to figure out how to get to 16 before the summer is out.”

He's just trying to make a name for himself.

LunchboX
09-12-2012, 03:16 PM
This. He's trying to get haters and thereby attain notoriety. It will probably work for him too. To quote the stand up comic Katt Williams, “If you’ve got 14 people hating on you, you need to figure out how to get to 16 before the summer is out.”

He's just trying to make a name for himself.

He already has a name for himself. A pretty good one too (well not so much here hahaha). He's been making videos for years now and is simply opinionated. I'll admit that I was somewhat underwhelmed after a few months of driving my stock miata around after hearing all the hype about them. Everyone has different experiences and preferences with cars. All he's doing is sharing his own.....like a good car journalist should. Also, for reference, he absolutely adores the fr-s.......a low power, rwd, cheap(ish) car. He clearly understands the fun that can be had from a car like that when done right. When I saw the video a few days ago, I was curious how the miata community was going to react. Didn't think everyone would get this butt hurt about it lol.

titch
09-12-2012, 03:33 PM
As above, he already has a name for himself, he used to write for one of the biggest motoring magazines over here (EVO), before moving onto Pistonheads and Drive.

And this video is a follow up to a blog post he made early last year: http://community.evo.co.uk/users/Monkey-Harris/blogs/index.cfm/2011/2/7/CHRIS-HARRIS-The-Mazda-MX-5-is-pants-ducks

MeanderingMarmot
09-12-2012, 10:16 PM
I am not saying he does not have a name for himself,

But it is always beneficial to stir up a large group of people that have a hobby that aligns with how you make your money.

It is the same thing as what all those famous idiots do, want more coverage? Put out a sex tape.

Write for a car blog? Stir up one of the largest enthusiast groups.

AARP
09-13-2012, 01:08 AM
He already has a name for himself. A pretty good one too (well not so much here hahaha). He's been making videos for years now and is simply opinionated. I'll admit that I was somewhat underwhelmed after a few months of driving my stock miata around after hearing all the hype about them. Everyone has different experiences and preferences with cars. All he's doing is sharing his own.....like a good car journalist should. Also, for reference, he absolutely adores the fr-s.......a low power, rwd, cheap(ish) car. He clearly understands the fun that can be had from a car like that when done right. When I saw the video a few days ago, I was curious how the miata community was going to react. Didn't think everyone would get this butt hurt about it lol.

+1. I respect Chris's opinions and he certainly knows cars better than anyone on this forum. You can't fault him for stating what he thinks.

Boris
09-13-2012, 05:19 AM
I actually agree with him on most points.
Still, I like these little thumb tacks of ours. They are a hoot to play around in and being so cheap means that you don't have to worry about stuffing one into a tire barrier.

revlimiter
09-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Is he a household word yet? No. Does his name have the recognition of very well known car guys such as Clarkson or Leno? No. It doesn't matter if YOU have heard of him. The question is, does your mom know his name? Do your coworkers? Does the guy at your local parts counter know of this particular journalist?

Until then, he will have to keep working at getting more haters and more notoriety. Trolling a nearly universally-beloved car such as the Miata is a perfect choice.

Demon I Am
09-13-2012, 04:03 PM
meh, this will just fade away like the other miata hater guy from 6 moths or so ago. Meanwhile, the Miata will continue tho be bought, raced, and loved across the world.

SM16RMSM
09-13-2012, 04:43 PM
In some way, he right, but for a stock car. Example is the suspension setup for a MSM. It rough on the driver when there is a better option for smoother handling and a softer ride overall. Power is a add on, like any car out there. Any vehicle can make more power, it just how much your willing to spend. I be happy with a 230 goal. It is plenty of power and it can be controlled pretty easily on track. A stock Lotus Elise, 130 HP priced at 43k, compared to a heavier NC making 170 priced at 30K. A Lotus is more cut dry. AC is a option, not standard like a Miata. Then there is price range. Miata Ownership is much less, parts are cheaper, there are more upgrades, and we have a big worldwide community. Lotus on the other hand is much more, parts are expensive, upgrades are ridiculous, and cost of ownership is threw the roof. I think it all comes down to average person and how much they are willing to spend. He has money, so he drives a 599, where we don't have money and we drive Miatas. Once we make a few upgrades, our cars are just as good as a Lotus.

I also think his bar of expectations is set to a high standard. There are fast Miatas out there and there are videos of Miatas running with a Viper and running down a Ferrari.